Will PS4 be able to play MKV video files?

#1Ryu XPosted 6/8/2013 5:24:50 PM
Do you think PS4 will be able to play MKV? I downloaded a lot of stuff in MKV format but PS3 doesn't play those always had to use that converter program to get them to play on PS3.

So do you think PS4 will actually let you play MKVs?
#2Kyuubi4269Posted 6/8/2013 5:34:36 PM
Why do you want to play a Microsoft format on PS4? MP4s are better anyhow, you should convert all of your videos to MP4 to save incompatibility issues.
---
If your shop is getting shot by an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get an arrow in the knee.
PSN: Lord_of_Cinders
#3HoIlywoodPosted 6/8/2013 5:35:11 PM
Probably not, browski, as there's licensing involved, and while Sony isn't going all DRM crazy on us like MS is, they're not pro-piracy either
#4HoIlywoodPosted 6/8/2013 5:37:06 PM
Kyuubi4269 posted...
Why do you want to play a Microsoft format on PS4? MP4s are better anyhow, you should convert all of your videos to MP4 to save incompatibility issues.

Many animes are done in mkv format because they allow dual audio and multiple subtitle files, whereas mp4's do not. It would be nice if the PS4 supported more video formats, I just doubt they will
#5curtlandPosted 6/8/2013 5:39:03 PM
HoIlywood posted...
Kyuubi4269 posted...

Many animes are done in mkv format because they allow dual audio and multiple subtitle files, whereas mp4's do not. It would be nice if the PS4 supported more video formats, I just doubt they will

True, but in all fairness, anime is teh suck.

(b'-')b
---
Only idoits can't spell.
#6Ryu X(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2013 5:43:42 PM
Even Sony's blu ray players support mkv

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666519119#specifications

MKV wasn't made by MS it was an open source container.
#7Nomorice4UPosted 6/8/2013 5:52:52 PM
curtland posted...
HoIlywood posted...
Kyuubi4269 posted...

(b'-')b

Anime is really a form of entertainment with many different genres. If you could get past general stereotypes and could climb above the notion that animations are for kids, there ate quite a few gems to enjoy. Not everything is Naruto and Dragon Ball.
---
Capcom All Star dream team - Dr. Wily/Devilot/Donovan or Rouge/Talbain/Megaman(any)
#8curtlandPosted 6/8/2013 6:00:25 PM(edited)
Nomorice4U posted...
curtland posted...
HoIlywood posted...
Kyuubi4269 posted...

(b'-')b

Anime is really a form of entertainment with many different genres. If you could get past general stereotypes and could climb above the notion that animations are for kids, there ate quite a few gems to enjoy. Not everything is Naruto and Dragon Ball.

True. But it DOES all have the main character sitting on a rock looking wistful while crappy soft J-pop plays in the background during the end credits.

:P

I don't really hate anime.
---
Only idoits can't spell.
#9Kyuubi4269Posted 6/8/2013 6:00:02 PM
HoIlywood posted...
Kyuubi4269 posted...

You know what I do? Download the fansubs with their translations that don't confuse 'pain and 'death' for no raisin.
---
If your shop is getting shot by an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get an arrow in the knee.
PSN: Lord_of_Cinders
#10SocialAssassinPosted 6/8/2013 6:06:28 PM
Yeah, I would really like it if I could watch my subbed stuff on the PS4.

I've tried using PS3 Media Server and it just sucks.
---
Hoist the colours high!
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story.