WOW! Console gamers do not understand RAM usage.

#1dogwarriorPosted 7/26/2013 1:16:00 PM
Before I get flamed, I will admit I'm not an expert, but I'm not a newb either when it comes to pc tech. The amount of ram on both next gen consoles is already more than what's necessary. Fidelity will be determined by the power of the gpu, which the ps4 is reportedly ahead of the game in. I know people hate comparisons to pc, but if you're not gaming beyond 1080p with a ton of mods running, your system will not likely exceed 4gb(vram& system ram combined) of ram total. That's usually with optimal or high settings with os running in the background. So with the consoles having over 4GB dedicated and the os with its own chunk of ram to work with, I say it's pretty Damn good.
---
Steam- SonofClap
3DS-0275-7168-6445
#2SnuffSevenfoldXPosted 7/26/2013 1:18:50 PM
dogwarrior posted...
Before I get flamed, I will admit I'm not an expert, but I'm not a newb either when it comes to pc tech. The amount of ram on both next gen consoles is already more than what's necessary. Fidelity will be determined by the power of the gpu, which the ps4 is reportedly ahead of the game in. I know people hate comparisons to pc, but if you're not gaming beyond 1080p with a ton of mods running, your system will not likely exceed 4gb(vram& system ram combined) of ram total. That's usually with optimal or high settings with os running in the background. So with the consoles having over 4GB dedicated and the os with its own chunk of ram to work with, I say it's pretty Damn good.

....You know the rumour comes from someone looking at an old dev-kit, rather than the final build dev-kits, right?
---
In a world where one man wanted orange, society deemed that he get lemon-lime...
Soda just got real.
#3DelRowePosted 7/26/2013 1:22:12 PM
SnuffSevenfoldX posted...
dogwarrior posted...

....You know the rumour comes from someone looking at an old dev-kit, rather than the final build dev-kits, right?

Do you have a source for that? That would be a relief and it would also explain why devs only thought they had about 4 GBs to work with.
---
You are not in control.
#4dogwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2013 1:25:46 PM
Lol, I've seen that info posted in one of the many "disappointment" threads. My point is that this rumor leads to people showing that they have little to no knowledge of how these components work. They just want the bigger numbers to feel better.
---
Steam- SonofClap
3DS-0275-7168-6445
#5EnVy_CaLiBeRPosted 7/26/2013 1:28:06 PM
Doesn't matter. Everything that has been said about the RAM usage is nothing but rumors and speculation so people are really freaking out about nothing.

And even if the rumors were true, like you said the PS4 still has the more powerful GPU and the more efficient memory.
---
(NNID/PSN): EnVy_CaLiBeR (3DS): 2895-6776-7223
NP: SMT IV, Sleeping Dogs, Injustice: Gods Among Us, SR3, BF3 (Awaiting): PS4, Killzone: Shadowfall, Knack, BF4
#6SnuffSevenfoldXPosted 7/26/2013 1:28:20 PM
DelRowe posted...
dogwarrior posted...

Do you have a source for that? That would be a relief and it would also explain why devs only thought they had about 4 GBs to work with.

As I understood the EG/DF article (and tbh I'm happy to admit I could have been wrong) it was based on pictures seen from analysis from some demos shown so far. Most studios said they had only started receiving final-build dev kits quite recently, when the build was finalised (it would have been minor, technical stuff but considering the dev tools take up so much RAM 8gb of GDDR5 would proibably have about 12GB in a dev kit) and the old dev kits were from january, so June/July sounds about right for a final build dev kit.

Long story short, it could turn out to be true, it could turn out that if you run Gaikai it uses up 3.5GB of ram but if you're doing that...you don't need the other 4.5GB anyway. However because something like the KZSF analysis was done on a January dev kit, which had 8gb of ram, with 4gb available (remember no-one knew until the Feb 20th reveal the final system would get 8gb of GDDR5)....it basically makes sense in that way.

What I typed may not have made sense but i'm hyper, and it's late :P
---
In a world where one man wanted orange, society deemed that he get lemon-lime...
Soda just got real.
#7SilverShadow881Posted 7/26/2013 1:33:08 PM
When the PS4 had 4 RAM, it ran Killzone with 3.5 game and .5 OS.

Those extra GB of RAM are a placeholder for the future. Sony can choose to add more features, or maybe release more RAM for games when they need it, but not now.
---
Peelz.
Professor Layton for kerfuffle.
#8SinisterSlayPosted 7/26/2013 1:33:45 PM
That extra memory is for the video recording.

That's it.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9SilverShadow881Posted 7/26/2013 1:42:10 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
That extra memory is for the video recording.

That's it.

No.

you don't understand how video recording works. It's not very RAM heavy, even cellphones can do it.

It's future proofing.
---
Peelz.
Professor Layton for kerfuffle.
#10Hi CPosted 7/26/2013 1:43:43 PM
dogwarrior posted...

lol out comes the time tested "it's beta, it will change" crutch self affirmation argument
---
You'll be my John G.