WOW! Console gamers do not understand RAM usage.

#21PrinceOfHotPosted 7/26/2013 4:47:02 PM
most games this generation use like 256mb of DDR1 RAM, and those are the highest tech "masterpieces" that people drool over. Both systems are fine in that regard, though the PS4 will be far superior in terms of memory because speed is by far the most important aspect of RAM these days.
---
---
Video games do not cause violence. Violence may cause video games.
#22TheFranchize08Posted 7/26/2013 4:48:41 PM
dogwarrior posted...
They just want the bigger numbers to feel better.

This.

We don't even have a release date and people are already trying to validate their purchase so they can sleep better at night.
---
Lakers|Chargers|Padres
"I am a man who believed that I died 20 years ago. And I live like a man who is dead already".
#23KaijinSurohmPosted 7/26/2013 4:57:23 PM
TheFranchize08 posted...
dogwarrior posted...
They just want the bigger numbers to feel better.

This.

We don't even have a release date and people are already trying to validate their purchase so they can sleep better at night.

Because, apparently "I like the release titles, and future upcoming titles" isn't good enough anymore, to validate a console purchase.
---
*Insults hold no weight with me. Well thought out responses hold my respect. Integrity is amazing, so use it.*
#24Lefty128kPosted 7/26/2013 5:47:17 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
SilverShadow881 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
That extra memory is for the video recording.

That's it.

No.

you don't understand how video recording works. It's not very RAM heavy, even cellphones can do it.

It's future proofing.

Your cell phone writes the data to the SD card while it records.

That's not an option for the PS4, it would take too much processing power, causing a games framerate to drop.

The video recording is handed by dedicated hardware, there won't be any system impact.
#25MrXGamerPosted 7/26/2013 5:53:45 PM
dogwarrior posted...
Before I get flamed, I will admit I'm not an expert, but I'm not a newb either when it comes to pc tech. The amount of ram on both next gen consoles is already more than what's necessary. Fidelity will be determined by the power of the gpu, which the ps4 is reportedly ahead of the game in. I know people hate comparisons to pc, but if you're not gaming beyond 1080p with a ton of mods running, your system will not likely exceed 4gb(vram& system ram combined) of ram total. That's usually with optimal or high settings with os running in the background. So with the consoles having over 4GB dedicated and the os with its own chunk of ram to work with, I say it's pretty Damn good.

As a long time PC gamer and IT profressional, I wanted to make this same post but then I realized it's not worth it. These console gamers won't stop fussing over ram while they absolutely have no idea how it works. I'll just cut to the chase, 4GB memory dedicated to gaming is not only good for now but it's also going to last for PS4's entire life span easily. Today's best looking PC games that require better specs than PS4 to max out use only 2GB max. That's because memory usage is limited to what the game is rendering and PS4's GPU is simply not capable of rendering a scale of objects that would use more than 2-3GB memory. The reason PC gamers get more ram is simply because sometimes we have memory leak issues in programs and we like to have dozens of programs open at the same time. Consoles can't do that, so cut the crap and let the professionals at Sony decide what's best for the system.
---
Asus Z77 Sabertooth | i7 3770k | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 1600MHz | Crucial m4 SSD | Blu-ray | Win 7 x64
#26The_DarkwalkerPosted 7/26/2013 6:04:48 PM
Microsoft must have awakened today and been high fiving each other because finally there was an article that had a negative tone in it and it wasn't about them! They probably threw a party and got drunk and then remembered that the world still hates them for what they did. Microsoft is now just an angry, depressed alcoholic.
---
Evil always wins because Good is dumb.
PSN ID: xDARKWALKERx // Gamertag: I DarkWalker I
#27Lefty128kPosted 7/26/2013 6:16:22 PM
The_Darkwalker posted...
Microsoft must have awakened today and been high fiving each other because finally there was an article that had a negative tone in it and it wasn't about them! They probably threw a party and got drunk and then remembered that the world still hates them for what they did. Microsoft is now just an angry, depressed alcoholic.

And it's still just a rumor about the RAM....lol.
#28RhapsoKnightPosted 7/26/2013 6:29:16 PM
You forgot one very important point TC, 99.9% of PC games are still 32 bit today. That's the sole reason why they don't use more than 4GB of RAM. They CAN'T.
#29SinisterSlayPosted 7/26/2013 8:08:57 PM
Lefty128k posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
SilverShadow881 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
That extra memory is for the video recording.

That's it.

No.

you don't understand how video recording works. It's not very RAM heavy, even cellphones can do it.

It's future proofing.

Your cell phone writes the data to the SD card while it records.

That's not an option for the PS4, it would take too much processing power, causing a games framerate to drop.

The video recording is handed by dedicated hardware, there won't be any system impact.

Yes and it's stored by magical fairies.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#30RussellGorallPosted 7/26/2013 10:05:17 PM
I would rather play Shadow Fall at 60fps than record my game footage and download while playing the game I am downloading.

I am an old school, long haul gamer. Give me Rage graphics over Battlefield 3 on console, any day.

If Sony believes this isn't big, they have a major problem.
---
GT - CuddlyREDRUM
PSN - honkayjeezus