Soooo you don't own your PS+ games?

#1RolfinPosted 8/18/2013 3:57:31 PM
Hey guys, I've been off of the X1 and PS4 boards for a bit, so I'm out of the loop, but I've read here that once you stop paying for PS+, you lose access to the free games you download. Is that true? and if so, does the PS3 act the same way?
---
"Always strive to be second best."
#2pigman2003Posted 8/18/2013 4:00:41 PM
yes, you need to be online and have a subscription.

For all the DRM crap Microsoft gets, the PS Plus "free games" are the worst.
#3randomwalkerPosted 8/18/2013 4:00:50 PM
Yes and yes. However, I believe that you will regain access to those games once you resubscribe.
#4Kudou_AkaiPosted 8/18/2013 4:01:26 PM
Once the PS Plus membership expires, you won't be able to play them. they will still be downloaded in your digital library but until you renew, they can't be used. PS Plus Discounts and Avatars, Themes are yours to keep. i think im missing something but i hope this helps
---
The Silver Bullet
#5METALINGUS5150Posted 8/18/2013 4:02:47 PM
On PS Plus, when you download a game for free, it's yours as long as ps plus is activated. When you stop paying for ps plus, you can't play them. When you get back on ps plus, you can play them like nothing happened.
#6Rolfin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 4:02:47 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#7orestes1981Posted 8/18/2013 4:05:28 PM
NEWS FLASH

You do not own download games. How do you trade them in? You can't! Also, the PS+ problem is a moot point. If you want to play online, you need plus. Also, the rate games are released on Plus, you will probably never finish even half of the games you get through plus... You will download them, play them until you get your trophies/grow bored of them, and you will move on to the next game. This is just weak-sauce for trolls to find fault with PS+.
---
Cappin' thine enemy isn't something Jesus would do, it's what Suge Knight would do.
-Bill Maher
#8Rolfin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 4:09:17 PM
orestes1981 posted...
NEWS FLASH

You do not own download games. How do you trade them in? You can't! Also, the PS+ problem is a moot point. If you want to play online, you need plus. Also, the rate games are released on Plus, you will probably never finish even half of the games you get through plus... You will download them, play them until you get your trophies/grow bored of them, and you will move on to the next game. This is just weak-sauce for trolls to find fault with PS+.

1) Don't call me a troll.

2) If I can play the game offline, then I consider it close enough.

3) I'd rather have NO free games than the illusion of free games.
---
"Always strive to be second best."
#9GuitaristMattPosted 8/18/2013 4:10:28 PM(edited)
Not entirely true. You can't play the free games anymore when your sub runs out. You can still play all DLC, and any games that you bought at a discount. When you start your sub back up again you can play the free games again. So that's like saying you don't own World of Warcraft. You do own the game, but your paying continuously for the license.

Get it? Instead of making the game a one time payment, your making the game into a sub. All of the price-reduced games are just price-reduced.

I hope this helps you Rolfin.
---
Greatness Awaits!
PS4 FAQs V2 http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/66414224
#10_The_Hitcher_Posted 8/18/2013 4:13:05 PM
It is a subscription service, it would be a bit ridiculous if its (current) main selling point didn't require a continuing subscription. You don't expect to keep streaming with Netflix if you cancel that subscription, never seen why this has been a big talking point.

Also, if you haven't bought a game by the time it becomes available on PS+ then you probably weren't too fussed about playing it through more than once anyway.
---
PSN: ForeverLost
XBL: ForeverLost360