Honest question: Why do people care what console other people like?

#1butterbeancdPosted 8/25/2013 12:08:50 AM
I've seen console flame wars going back and forth for years, and I've never directly asked this question: Why do people care?

Some people like different games and genres, which will make one system or the other more appealing to them. For instance, I love RPGs and generally don't like straight shooters. So, for me, the PS3/PS4 makes more sense. For other people who prefer shooters and action games, the XBox would make more sense.

Plenty of other people get one system or the other because they want to play online with their friends, who already own one of the consoles. I just really don't understand why there are so many people who throw around all kinds of insults at people for liking one system or the other and spend a lot of time and effort having pointless arguments about which one is better.

Just like whatever you like and if someone else likes something else, fine. So, seriously, why do people care?
---
"I am the last Claptrap in existence, and I AM GOING TO TEABAG YOUR CORPSE!" - Claptrap, Borderlands 2
#2NathanDrakeSwagPosted 8/25/2013 12:26:09 AM
Xbox fans got what was coming to them. After 2 generations of completely dominating the industry Sony had a hiccup from 2006-2008 and Xbox fans attacked. Well from 2009-present the tables turned. PS3 caught up in sales, Sony created PS Plus which makes a mockey of XBL gold in value and PS3 has gotten high quality exclusive after exclusive after exclusive while 360 has gotten nothing except Halo and Forza all gen while M$ raised the costs of XBL and still keeps media apps behind a paywall. Oh and lets not forget RROD.

Now Sony has made the perfect console in the PS4 (I dare someone to find a reasonable complaint about it) while M$ has created a underpowered console with a mandatory motion device used to throw ads in your face, loads of paywalls and a controller that doesn't even include a charge cable or battery all at the ridiculous price of $500. And lets not forget they tried to take away consumer rights until Sony completely embarrassed them in front of the world at E3.

Anyone who still supports M$ after all of that deserves to be laughed at.
#3SuperPaladian11Posted 8/25/2013 12:26:30 AM
I don't Honestly know. Maybe their system seemed dumb and they're jealous of other people with the other console. so they attack people with the other console just to try to make themselves feel better about buying a stupid console
---
Talking to bronies is like Russian roulette. You might live freely or die horribly
#4SaintFC_Posted 8/25/2013 12:28:52 AM
Why do you care why people care about what console others like?

Just keep on trucking with your own console and leave the fanboys to it.
---
'The average age of the UK gamer is now 35'
I'm the ghost in the machine, I'm the genius in the gene, I'm the beauty in the beast, I'm the sunset in the east .
#5butterbeancd(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 12:31:38 AM
SaintFC_ posted...

Just genuine curiosity. I don't understand the mindset, so just wanted to reach out and see if anyone could explain why they're so passionate about it. I try to reach out to all kinds of people who think or act differently than me to see what makes them behave that way. It's interesting.
---
"I am the last Claptrap in existence, and I AM GOING TO TEABAG YOUR CORPSE!" - Claptrap, Borderlands 2
#6Draconas_LyrrPosted 8/25/2013 12:32:08 AM
I don't care when it comes to offline, online, it's just fun to pretend like I care. I have a few friends that I used to pick on for having the 360, but it was all in fun. (They've since switched to PS3 anyways, though.)
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
Difference between "a" and "an": "a" comes before consonant sounds, "an" before vowel sounds.
#7SaintFC_Posted 8/25/2013 12:33:58 AM
butterbeancd posted...
SaintFC_ posted...

Just genuine curiosity. I don't understand the mindset, so just wanted to reach out and see if anyone could explain why they're so passionate about it. I try to reach out to all kinds of people who think or act differently than me to see what makes them behave that way. It's interesting.

There is no explaining fanboy behaviour.
---
'The average age of the UK gamer is now 35'
I'm the ghost in the machine, I'm the genius in the gene, I'm the beauty in the beast, I'm the sunset in the east .
#8butterbeancd(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 12:34:35 AM
NathanDrakeSwag posted...
Xbox fans got what was coming to them. After 2 generations of completely dominating the industry Sony had a hiccup from 2006-2008 and Xbox fans attacked. Well from 2009-present the tables turned. PS3 caught up in sales, Sony created PS Plus which makes a mockey of XBL gold in value and PS3 has gotten high quality exclusive after exclusive after exclusive while 360 has gotten nothing except Halo and Forza all gen while M$ raised the costs of XBL and still keeps media apps behind a paywall. Oh and lets not forget RROD.

Now Sony has made the perfect console in the PS4 (I dare someone to find a reasonable complaint about it) while M$ has created a underpowered console with a mandatory motion device used to throw ads in your face, loads of paywalls and a controller that doesn't even include a charge cable or battery all at the ridiculous price of $500. And lets not forget they tried to take away consumer rights until Sony completely embarrassed them in front of the world at E3.

Anyone who still supports M$ after all of that deserves to be laughed at.

You just stated your case for supporting the PS4, not why that matters. If you feel that way, that's great. You're playing a great console. Why do you care that other people proclaim that the PS4 is the superior console?
---
#9NeoMonkPosted 8/25/2013 12:36:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/EcLNAFA.png

& It's a superiority complex... They post threads so they read others agreeing with them... it's a
"DID I DO GOOD MOMMY?!" mentality.
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#10crazyman32Posted 8/25/2013 12:38:07 AM
SaintFC_ posted...
butterbeancd posted...
SaintFC_ posted...

There is no explaining fanboy behaviour.

The word fan is short for fanatic of course so,that tells you enough.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I apologize for nothing.