Possible that Sony Japan September press conference is Atlus related?

#1MilesTeg420Posted 8/27/2013 8:34:21 AM
I remember that we were supposed to hear what happened to Atlus in about a month. Sony now has a press conference early September, presumably to announce launch plans for PS4 but it also lines up with when we are supposed to hear Atlus fate.

Would be very interesting if it were Atlus related as well, including that P5 is now coming to PS4. Would probably get the Japanese a little more hyped for the platform. Maybe P5 first on PS4 with a PS3 release later.
#2HypnoCooshPosted 8/27/2013 8:37:29 AM
Hmmmmmm very interesting
---
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~F.Nietzsche~
#3albanianx1Posted 8/27/2013 8:42:23 AM
P5 is coming to PS4? Link/Confirmed?!

I would be surprised to be honest, I do know that the main reason is likely to show off the release date. Though heavy hints point at Yakuza Ishin being a PS4 exclusive and being debuted at Sony's press conference as well. If they were to make an Atlus announcement, I'd certainly be shocked. Sony really needs more quality Japanese developers. During PS3's era, Sony really beefed up SCEE and SCEA, while Japan you still feel needs much work. I don't think Atlus is a massive company that makes waves, if this move happens it's more of a long term investment.

I think the best thing about Atlus joining Sony would be some proper support for Vita, not counting indies. Not to mention a genre where Sony is behind the times in considerably is RPGs, though rumors suggest they are working on that (thankfully).
---
PSN: eaglespirit
#4chogiebearPosted 8/27/2013 8:42:40 AM
I highly doubt it. Sony cannot spend anymore resources in buying third party studios as they cut some of them already. My 3 main guesses that would buy it are Nintendo, Sega or Namco Bandai.
#5albanianx1Posted 8/27/2013 8:45:12 AM
It's not as if Sony has less studios though. ^ Even though they cut 2 or 3 studios, a lot of their 1 studio teams are turning into 2-3 team studios. Barlog just joined SMS (again) recently and said he's building an Ocean's 11 team, likely yet another team to the SMS team for example.

But yeah, it's hard to imagine Sony spending 200m+ on a niche company like Atlus, even though it would give them a lot of variety games wise.
---
#6MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 8:59:11 AM
albanianx1 posted...
It's not as if Sony has less studios though. ^ Even though they cut 2 or 3 studios, a lot of their 1 studio teams are turning into 2-3 team studios. Barlog just joined SMS (again) recently and said he's building an Ocean's 11 team, likely yet another team to the SMS team for example.

But yeah, it's hard to imagine Sony spending 200m+ on a niche company like Atlus, even though it would give them a lot of variety games wise.

Really I don't think it's too hard to imagine. Sony has very few popular brands in Japan. In fact you could argue they never had any and it was all third party.

Their portable needs something like Atlus support to succeed in Japan and their home console needs something besides shoot bangs to sell in Japan.

After Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest were stolen by Nintendo this would be a proper response imo. Lose something, gotta gain something. Nintendo is playing hardball in Japan and Sony should do the same. Losing Atlus support would be a major blow for 3DS and potentially Wii U.

In short 200 million doesn't sound like much to gain traction in Japan and increase sales for both of your consoles not only in Japan but worldwide as well, in the same process delivering a blow to Nintendo like they did to Sony.
#7albanianx1Posted 8/27/2013 9:03:40 AM
I agree with you, but I still would be very surprised if Sony pulls this move off. Saying that, Atlus would be best at a good 3rd party studio but if one of the big three pulls the move off, I'd rather it was Sony.
---
#8BirgitteSilverPosted 8/27/2013 9:52:30 AM
I don't understand why one of the big 3 would want Atlus, especially at the rumored price of 150 million+.

Considering whichever one it is would immediately drop a large chunk of Atlus' profits because they'd eliminate Atlus publishing for the other consoles.

It'd take a long, long time to recuperate the cost.
#9BelberithPosted 8/27/2013 9:55:50 AM
Sony and Nintendo have no reason to buy Atlus, while the first party games are great and sell well the bulk of the company's cost comes from its publishing. Both Sony and Nintendo have no need for this aspect of Atlus so its really not a worthwhile endeavor for them.

Expect another Holding Corporation to buy up Atlus.