Do we still have to "pay" for PSN?

#1ExtremeLightPosted 9/1/2013 6:46:25 AM
Months ago I heard that you will have to pay for PS+ to use many of the online features available on PS4.
Does this still hold? I haven't kept up with the news of next gen since I won't concern myself with it until next year (Hopefully timing it with the release of FF Versus).

I don't mind paying for PS+ if we still get the same benefit as PS+ members do now but surely a widely implement "requirements" could drive them to make some changes meaning less free game/ early access beta/demo and a PS++ or something like that. Sony is a business so I don't trust that they will want to lose money this way.
---
Lightning Returns is looking epic.
#2IvanKozlovPosted 9/1/2013 6:58:20 AM
Yes and how do you figure they'd lose money on this? With it being required, the amount of plus members will explode which only means more money.
---
Give it a rest dude. You're just embarrassing yourself now. We get it. You dislike Sony. Go have a Coke and a smile and shut the f*** up. --- NateRose89
#3Trigger99XPosted 9/1/2013 6:59:27 AM
Only to play online games (excluding pay to pay and free to play games) all other online functions are still free to use
#4doc1369Posted 9/1/2013 7:01:34 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=PSN+Plus
---
If you believe that Jesus wants 100% compensation proudly put this in your sig.
#5tinfoil21Posted 9/1/2013 7:08:52 AM(edited)
ExtremeLight posted...
have to pay for PS+ to use many of the online features available on PS4.

That is false, unless by "many" you mean "one". You do not need PS+ for any of the online features except PS4's online multiplayer. Anything else, from DLC to Netfilx to Party Chat, is all free.
---
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? You're a mile away and have his shoes.
#6Jinzo 111887Posted 9/1/2013 7:08:09 AM
The reason why some people bought a PS3 over an Xbox 360 was free online multiplayer. Without this and using the same architecture as the PC, they risk losing those people to the PC. There's also the possibility of people who would buy their games new switching to buying their all their games preowned to pay for it. I imagine that would cost Sony quite a bit since they made a big deal about people buying their games preowned last gen.
---
Inakunarinasai (Cease to exist) - incredibly epic song from the 16-bit era of video games.
# of people who thought I was Jinjo: 1
#7vgsrulePosted 9/1/2013 7:38:28 AM
IvanKozlov posted...
Yes and how do you figure they'd lose money on this? With it being required, the amount of plus members will explode which only means more money.

He's saying that since PS+ is required to play multiplayer, there's less incentive to have free games and the like to get people to sign up.

It's a legitimate concern, but I doubt it will happen. I don't think they would gain much money by doing so, but they create a lot of hate by doing it.

And nothing's changed about it since E3, as far as I know.
---
http://backloggery.com/khff123
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/A_Metal_Pipe
#8Baha05Posted 9/1/2013 7:41:52 AM
So how much is it per month? The cost of PS+
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#9HamburgerTime88Posted 9/1/2013 7:48:16 AM
Baha05 posted...

4.17 USD
---
---"I'm going to bang your mouth""eat my cheese" manbirds---
#10Jinzo 111887Posted 9/1/2013 7:48:23 AM
Baha05 posted...
$4-5. However, TC does bring up a point for people who already have it. What if they start offering awful games as the next step to making it something like Xbox live. Not many people would be happy to have games like Bubsy 3D, Superman 64, Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, etc. to show up, which would be an excuse for them to drop the complimentary games.
---
Inakunarinasai (Cease to exist) - incredibly epic song from the 16-bit era of video games.
# of people who thought I was Jinjo: 1