People are talking about 4k game, lol

#21iceltPosted 9/9/2013 8:28:34 PM
skermac posted...
Born Lucky posted...
The other point is this - why buy a "4k" TV when there's practically nothing for it.

?

I called Cox cable and asked them when we would be getting 1080p. They couldn't tell me, but the guy implied it would be YEARS.

That means 4k, won't be here for DECADES.

It would take 20 years to build the infrastructure, and do the upgrades necessary to have 4k as the broadcast standard - and that's if they start today - which they're not doing.

`

You are correct, but what about getting a 4k tv for gaming use only? Not a big one, just 42-50 inches.

As long as you are sitting at about PC monitor distance away (ie less than 3 feet) then yeah you could see a benefit from 4K technology.
http://digithoughts.com/image/40544824675

Keep in mind though that means a 4K capable display, a 4K capable cable, a 4K capable transport (Blu-ray or equiv) and 4K source (preferably natively created/filmed/programmed for 4K resolution and not just upscaled). So the point I'm making is that's alot of tripping points to make certain you get the full value of what 4K can potentially offer. Basically, that's alot of "if's" ;)
---
PSN: icelt
"Beaker on a Hot Tin Roof" http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m506y4kNRX1rxuzpho1_500.gif
#22DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/10/2013 12:21:46 PM
icelt posted...
skermac posted...
Born Lucky posted...
The other point is this - why buy a "4k" TV when there's practically nothing for it.

?

I called Cox cable and asked them when we would be getting 1080p. They couldn't tell me, but the guy implied it would be YEARS.

That means 4k, won't be here for DECADES.

It would take 20 years to build the infrastructure, and do the upgrades necessary to have 4k as the broadcast standard - and that's if they start today - which they're not doing.

`

You are correct, but what about getting a 4k tv for gaming use only? Not a big one, just 42-50 inches.

As long as you are sitting at about PC monitor distance away (ie less than 3 feet) then yeah you could see a benefit from 4K technology.
http://digithoughts.com/image/40544824675

Keep in mind though that means a 4K capable display, a 4K capable cable, a 4K capable transport (Blu-ray or equiv) and 4K source (preferably natively created/filmed/programmed for 4K resolution and not just upscaled). So the point I'm making is that's alot of tripping points to make certain you get the full value of what 4K can potentially offer. Basically, that's alot of "if's" ;)

That's the problem with game consoles, and anything else relying on backwards DRM-ridden TV standards.
With open platforms, you just plug it in and it works. Come on, a $300 handheld can do 4k. Why can't a $400 console?
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#23Combo MasterPosted 9/10/2013 5:54:58 PM
The advantage of 4k is the picture should look almost the same sitting far away from the tv and up close when there can be quite a difference on 1080p. You do not need a huge tv to notice that difference.
---
Combo Master
#24pez2k_Posted 9/10/2013 6:18:11 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Not happening, Metro LL requires 2 Titans to run at 4K, that's not fully maxed. It'll be at least 2 years before PC Graphic cards are even capable of it without cutting detail

Project CARS runs in 4k on dual Titans, the devs had a racing rig at IFA Berlin last week doing a demo for Panasonic. According to the guy who set it up, it was running solid 60fps with all settings bar downsampling maxed out.

Metro's engine is notoriously badly optimised though of course, which is why it makes a great benchmark. Some cutting-edge games certainly can manage 4k / 60fps already however.
---
Fixing Turn10's omissions since 2007, and Playground Games' since 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/user/pez2k
#25Lord_Ka1nPosted 9/10/2013 6:20:51 PM
maybe next gen. those tvs are a few thousand dollars right now anyway.
#26Neoreloaded313Posted 9/10/2013 6:21:55 PM
4k games are possible, with sacrifices to graphics. Pretty sure 4k Pacman or Pong would be possible.
---
Trolls and ignorant people gets added to my ignore list.
#27MaliciousMongoPosted 9/10/2013 7:02:39 PM
By the time 4K games even become feasible, 8K or whatever the next step up would probably start becoming available.
---
Think of the allergies b4 you applaud. Next time, just sit there & stare blankly at a person to express your support of something. -Madigari on PS4 @ E3 '13
#28SolisPosted 9/10/2013 8:42:49 PM
The PS3 had a 60fps 1080p game at launch. Pretty sure 4K on the PS4 is quite practical, unless you don't think that the PS4 is even twice as powerful as the PS3. Hell, even Xbox 360 and PS3 games have already had framebuffers as big as 4K.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review