Digital vs. Physical? Which are you going with and why did you make that choice?

#61ArsenicSteelPosted 9/6/2013 2:27:41 PM
Pendragoon posted...
ArsenicSteel posted...
Physical. The whole 0 return policy, inability to resale any digital game, and not letting friends borrow a game are far too many limitations.

Strangley enough when ms tried to enforce all those limitations on all the games there was an issue but for physical v digital those problems are looked over.

The big issue was that Microsoft forced it on people.

Console-side those three things are automatically forced on you too with every game. The only exceptions are if your friends live with you and play games on the same console but in the case of xbox gamertags sharing gets a little more limited.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#62ArsenicSteelPosted 9/6/2013 2:38:01 PM
82xeno posted...
Pendragoon posted...
I regret going Physical for The Last of Us, the digital version only takes 12-14 seconds on that initial load compared to the minute and a half or more that the physical version has.

I actually got the digital version of that off a whim, took awhile to download but it's worth it to me honestly.

Same here. The DL time alone make me question why anyone that buys more than one full-size game at would choose to DL multiple titles instead of going to a brick&mortar store.

If PS4 utilizes a p2p type DLing mechanic I don't see multiple purchases being faster or more efficient than buying them from a store.

Of course I am limiting all of that to people that live in atleast a basic metropolitan area.
---
#63Pendragoon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 4:03:12 PM
sa2bmaster posted...
Don't know if this has been said yet, but you can't use an external hard drive on XB1 or PS4 for game installs at launch. So you shouldn't upgrade your SSD until that support is confirmed TC.

Why not? I can still upgrade the internal drive on the PS4 on day one and see the benefits of it. (Especially if it is sata 3) I can micromanage the space until 1TB drives drop in price in 2-3 years and get a much larger and faster drive. It will also run cooler making the chance of over heating less likely. Digital or physical, the benefits are too great to not at least consider it.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#64jastenPosted 9/6/2013 4:21:48 PM
Indy will be mostly be digital... everything else physical. PSN+ has taught me that full games are a bit too big to go all digital for the huge releases. Now, if hard drives (nad in vita's case memory cards) can get cheaper for larger storage capacity then I might go more digital. Still... I love the experience of peeling off the plastic, cracking open the case, and seeing a brand new disc and that new game smell as well. Just something that makes you feel like a kid again... at least for me.
---
We are not merely the sum of our parts
#65Pendragoon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 4:22:19 PM
ArsenicSteel posted...

Same here. The DL time alone make me question why anyone that buys more than one full-size game at would choose to DL multiple titles instead of going to a brick&mortar store.

If PS4 utilizes a p2p type DLing mechanic I don't see multiple purchases being faster or more efficient than buying them from a store.

Of course I am limiting all of that to people that live in atleast a basic metropolitan area.

PS4 games become playable before they are finished downloading (there is no more download then install) this goes for digital and physical.

The time it takes me to drive to Gamestop or Walmart and get a game and come home is 45 minutes depending on traffic and the crowds (Midnight launches I am usually home by 1:30 at the latest depending on lines) Factor in gas and taxes as well.

Amazon deliveries occur between 8am and 8pm, usually around 6pm for me, but have happened at early as 11am. Usually worth it for the free shipping and no sales tax.

A digital download will either be pre installed before midnight or go live within 25 minutes of Midnight (latest I have seen it on PSN) this is eastern time, meaning you can potentially get games early in other time zones. With it only requiring partial installs, you could be playing pretty quickly while the rest finishes downloading.
---
#66ArsenicSteelPosted 9/6/2013 4:34:50 PM
If you want to factor in gas and taxes for a trip to a store then you have to consider the fee you are charged by your isp and electric company that allow you the ability to DL any game at all. A 45min roundtrip to the store is still faster than a DL/install of The Last of Us for me. The time difference only worsens if I dare want to get more than one game.

Digital and even online shopping works out well if you plan to be busy during the DL/shipping process but what I am saying us that going to a store provides swifter, more immediate way to get a game, or any physical product, when you're just want to get a game as fast as possible.
---
#67tinfoil21Posted 9/6/2013 5:17:32 PM
Raycon posted...
captsplatter_1 posted...
Physical. Sell, trade, buy used, and with you even if servers get shut down.

Mostly that last part. I like having a product I know will work independent of outside factors. As long as there's power and a console, the disc will play. Taking care of a disc is no issue for me.

Why would you assume that when the servers are shut down, you can't play the games? It's not like they are stored on the internet or something; there's no streaming here. You have the entire game on your hard drive. Just like how you can access programs when your computer is disconnected, you can still access your games.
---
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? You're a mile away and have his shoes.
#68KarnRX78Posted 9/6/2013 5:20:39 PM
Right now the benefits of physical greatly outweigh the benefits of digital for me. Until the benefits are either close to even, even, or better I won't be going digital.
---
21B64R09E14A35K92T29H45E17W43A82L95L19S57D36O18W39N8Y2J
(V)0-0(V) This is Mudcrab. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him achieve world Domination.
#69Pendragoon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 6:11:34 PM
ArsenicSteel posted...
If you want to factor in gas and taxes for a trip to a store then you have to consider the fee you are charged by your isp and electric company that allow you the ability to DL any game at all. A 45min roundtrip to the store is still faster than a DL/install of The Last of Us for me. The time difference only worsens if I dare want to get more than one game.

Digital and even online shopping works out well if you plan to be busy during the DL/shipping process but what I am saying us that going to a store provides swifter, more immediate way to get a game, or any physical product, when you're just want to get a game as fast as possible.

The Last of Us installs like PS4 games do, you play as it downloads. Download time just isn't going to be much of a factor next gen unless you have crap DSL. 11GB for Dragon's Dogma took me 2.5 hours to download and install on a 6mbps DSL connection, I now have a 30mbps connection and downloads are much faster. Even with that slow of a connection PS4 games will be playable faster than they would by driving to the store.

(Remember, disc games still have to install partially before you can play, negating even more of their supposed speed)
---
#70ArsenicSteelPosted 9/6/2013 6:39:33 PM
TLoU was not instantly playable when DLing. It was not playable until 67%, and at that point I just went bed and played it in the morning.

Download speeds like trips to any store all vary based on isp and miles. But does it take you 2.5hrs to go to a store just for a game? Whatever, the crux of my posts continue tp be ignored...if I plan to DL a game while I am sleep/work then the process is largely transparent but more games you buy at one time the longer it takes and I sometimes want games in the middle of the day without a lot a planning.

Yes, some games have large install times, not all.

An 11gb game...my example is twice that. I expect full PS4 releases to be 30+ gig. I am sure multiple physical games would be faster to procure unless; A) you don't drive and/or B) you're more than 5 miles aways from a video game store. B is really unlikely for folks in a metropolitan area.
---