Has it been definitively confirmed that GTA V isn't coming to next gen consoles?

#11mjc0961Posted 9/21/2013 8:03:34 PM
Belberith posted...
I doubt it will, I see no reason for Rockstar to bother porting it to next gen, its the same thing with GTA IV for the PC

I see a reason for them to bother. Make another massive heap of money. It will be a smaller heap, but people will buy it again if it's a superior version.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#12Red_JesterPosted 9/21/2013 8:10:49 PM
I refuse to believe that they aren't going to port the game to next gen consoles literally two months from the next generation.

In fact, I'll bet that's why GTA5 doesn't have a PC version. They're probably waiting to release it alongside the PS4 and Xbone versions with better visuals and higher player counts in multi-player.
---
I do benefits for all religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality. - Bob Hope
I'm right about everything, every time. 60% of the time.
#13Fat-LovePosted 9/21/2013 8:14:26 PM
TheRealPhattyJ posted...
the night they broke a billion Rockstar had somebody on CNN. They said they're analysts are predicting that they do half as many sales again "when the game comes out for the next generation of consoles."

Pretty sure that means it's coming out for the PS4/XboxDone.

Links or it didn't happen.
#14BelberithPosted 9/21/2013 8:26:30 PM
KOTRwhoops posted...
Belberith posted...
I doubt it will, I see no reason for Rockstar to bother porting it to next gen, its the same thing with GTA IV for the PC

Why wouldn't they bother when there is another heap load of money to make by doing so? Explain what you mean?

Anyone who is buying an Xbox One or PS4 initially is most likely and owner of a current gen console(They would most likely be gaming enthusiast and thus already home console owners.), those same people would have probably purchased the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions of the game.

With GTA IV the PC port made some sense because not everyone who was a gamer owned a PS3 or Xbox 360, thus the increase in market at the cost of extra development expenses was justifiable, even though the sales for the PC version weren't exactly high.

Fast Forward Five years and about 140million consoles later, Rockstar has a much larger audience with the PS3/Xbox 360, many of the people who bought the PC versions of GTA 4 are probably now owners of these consoles and can buy the games on the platform.

It all comes down to the cost of actually porting the games over to next gen consoles and personal computers relative to the potential amount of sales they could make. I will say that with GTA 6 its going to come out on the PS4, Xbone and without a doubt the PC because of how similar the architecture is.
#15BelberithPosted 9/21/2013 8:31:48 PM
Belberith posted...
KOTRwhoops posted...
Belberith posted...

Why wouldn't they bother when there is another heap load of money to make by doing so? Explain what you mean?

Anyone who is buying an Xbox One or PS4 initially is most likely and owner of a current gen console(They would most likely be gaming enthusiast and thus already home console owners.), those same people would have probably purchased the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions of the game.

With GTA IV the PC port made some sense because not everyone who was a gamer owned a PS3 or Xbox 360, thus the increase in market at the cost of extra development expenses was justifiable, even though the sales for the PC version weren't exactly high.

Fast Forward Five years and about 140million consoles later, Rockstar has a much larger audience with the PS3/Xbox 360, many of the people who bought the PC versions of GTA 4 are probably now owners of these consoles and can buy the games on the platform.

It all comes down to the cost of actually porting the games over to next gen consoles and personal computers relative to the potential amount of sales they could make. I will say that with GTA 6 its going to come out on the PS4, Xbone and without a doubt the PC because of how similar the architecture is.

Just adding some more proof to my earlier statements

"Sales for the Windows version of the game were considerably less successful. According to NPD Group the game debuted at #7 of their weekly top ten."

http://www.shacknews.com/article/56384/weekly-pc-sales-a-slow

GTA 4 then dropped out of the top ten sales, so yeah I would be shocked to see GTA 5 on Windows or Next Gen.
#16IzecPosted 9/21/2013 8:43:42 PM
Not porting it is throwing away free money. As much as GTA V sold there are probably still people interested in it who just aren't buying because they're ready to leave the current gen behind and saving up for PS4/XB1.
---
Throwback Mode 4 Lyfe
#17skermacPosted 9/21/2013 8:47:21 PM
If they port to the PS4 they will only make $10 per game, and that's from people that do the $10 upgrade from PS3 to PS4 thing.

I will not do it because by the time it gets to the PS4, if it does, I will be done playing it and moved on. For me its good enough on the PS3.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#18BelberithPosted 9/21/2013 8:49:09 PM
Izec posted...
Not porting it is throwing away free money. As much as GTA V sold there are probably still people interested in it who just aren't buying because they're ready to leave the current gen behind and saving up for PS4/XB1.

"Not porting it is throwing away free money."

But they have to pay to port the game and run it on the PS4, that is money that they must front for development.

The time and effort may not be worth it to Rockstar and the potential profit to be made may not sufficiently outweigh the cost of development.
#19bobblastumpPosted 9/21/2013 11:05:04 PM
skermac posted...
If they port to the PS4 they will only make $10 per game, and that's from people that do the $10 upgrade from PS3 to PS4 thing.

I will not do it because by the time it gets to the PS4, if it does, I will be done playing it and moved on. For me its good enough on the PS3.

From what I've read only four titles are going to be supported with the upgrade feature.

I think that's because the titles are coming so close to launch. This way the people that buy a copy them get the ps4 for Christmas or such don't feel screwed over.
---
Gamertag: Whitemannatee
PSN ID: Reitmannatee