Anybody else think that 60fps looks weird?

#1GuillermoGagePosted 9/26/2013 8:02:30 AM
Yesterday, I downloaded a 60fps 17-minute trailer for a game I was not generally interested in, Battlefield 4, via a Eurogamer link because YouTube can't do 60fps.

Without doing a prior comparison, I immediately noticed an obvious blatant difference. But the motions, while smoother, just look too fluidy. Apparently real life is supposed to be closer to 60fps, so this is supposed to be better for gaming, because apparently this is useful when you are actually playing a game apparently. Except that I am not a competitive shooter game person.

Movies are done at no more than 30fps, and games with all their interactive nature look more comfortable in 30fps.
#2NINFanboyPosted 9/26/2013 8:06:14 AM
*head explodes*
---
You play baseball, the *world* series. And you won every year. That's good. - Eddie Izzard on American sports
#3brisashiPosted 9/26/2013 8:12:42 AM
Yeah in some games like racing and shooters it looks amazing and realistic but there are some genres that it just doesn't work with the typical art design.
---
A wizard did it.
Underrated/Overrated: language of the modern internet hipster
#4LusoryPrimePosted 9/26/2013 8:30:21 AM
What is this, some form of Stockholm syndrome?
---
PSN ID: Lusory_Prime | Steam: LusoryPrime
#5skermacPosted 9/26/2013 8:33:13 AM
brisashi posted...
Yeah in some games like racing and shooters it looks amazing and realistic but there are some genres that it just doesn't work with the typical art design.

Yeah, some games that are too fluid just don't work with the box art or contemporary design facilitations.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#6ComfortablySadPosted 9/26/2013 8:41:45 AM
60fps takes getting used to but that "soap opera" look does go away. Eventually 60fps will seem more natural than 30/24fps.
---
Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old.
#7GuillermoGage(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 8:47:27 AM
LusoryPrime posted...
What is this, some form of Stockholm syndrome?

I would have to be born kidnapped for that to work. The movies must have kidnapped me.
Also, Battlefield 4 is made in Stockholm.
#8sirtonnePosted 9/26/2013 8:47:28 AM
The idea that 60fps is always better is a myth perpetuated by PC gamers looking for something to boast about. 60fps is better for some genres but makes others too twitchy and unnatural feeling.
#9KabtheMentatPosted 9/26/2013 8:52:24 AM
sirtonne posted...
The idea that 60fps is always better is a myth perpetuated by PC gamers looking for something to boast about. 60fps is better for some genres but makes others too twitchy and unnatural feeling.

If by control better and are more responsive, then yeah...they sure are twitchy and unnatural feeling.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#10brisashiPosted 9/26/2013 8:53:50 AM
skermac posted...
brisashi posted...

Yeah, some games that are too fluid just don't work with the box art or contemporary design facilitations.

You don't understand what art design means, das cool.
---
A wizard did it.
Underrated/Overrated: language of the modern internet hipster