Wow Sony just one upped Nintendo on their biggest feature

#101king_maddenPosted 10/8/2013 10:45:52 AM
osboes posted...
You mean like how PS Move one upped the Wii on it's biggest feature? I remember how that turned out.

what they turned out making a feature that was more accurate and powerful than the wii.
#102VT-14Posted 10/8/2013 11:31:55 AM
Nerreltron9000 posted...
The Wii U was designed around two screen play. It's lag free and works beautifully.

PS4-Vita play will probably work well when streaming directly from the console, but neither system was explicitly designed for it, Vita doesn't have enough buttons, there's no interactivity between the two screens (mirroring only), and there's bound to be a slight increase in latency compared to Wii U. Not to mention players will have to own both systems.

Issues with your argument...

"Neither system was explicitly designed for it"
Vita was designed to remote play with Gaikai's streaming technology.
PS4 was designed with Gaikai's streaming technology.

Don't believe me? What do you think the Vita TV is? It's a Vita without the screen, and connected to a DS3. It's only real point is to stream games from another source (Gaikai or a PS4)

Just because the PS3 wasn't designed with Gaikai's streaming technology, and wasn't explicitly designed for it doesn't mean the later products weren't.

"Vita doesn't have enough buttons"
Easily corrected with the touchscreen and touchpad.

"Mirroring Only"
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-9020_7-57570338-222/ps4-and-the-vita-the-multiscreen-dream...again/
-False

"Bound to be Latency"
Actually true.
"increase in latency compared to the Wii U"
Actually, that depends
-A direct connection will be negligible (and will probably be about the same speed as the Wii U's gamepad [could be faster, could be slower; we don't know exactly])
-When you go to LAN, that increases range, but will increase latency a tiny amount because there is one more thing for the signal to go through (probably won't make much of a difference though).
-Going over the internet will increase latency even more; and your distance will also play a roll. Playing your PS4 over the internet when you are across the street will probably be fine (almost negligible delay). Playing on the Moon is bound to have several seconds of delay because the fastest the signal could go is the speed of light.

I didn't even read the rest of your post because there was so much wrong with the first paragraph.
---
PSN: VT-14
"Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
#103Kuebel33Posted 10/8/2013 11:58:46 AM
BkzIzu posted...
LagPianist posted...
When Nintendo does it it is a gimmick, but when Sony does an inferior version of it it is a godsend? Typical fanboy nonsense

Difference is Sony isn't forcing it on the the customers. I can not buy a Vita.
But I can't buy a WiiU that works without a gamepad. :)

Which in effect, by the very nature of the relationship, the Wii U and gamepad are far superior (As it relates to this anyhow) and specifically designed to function together as they do, versus being an after thought and added on later down the road as was with PSP and now Vita
---
Wii U: kuebel33 - Wii: 8877 3660 6443 4949 - XboxLive, psn, & Steam: DirtiestQBizzy
3DS: Q : 2449-4627-4540 | playing: Gears, Last of Us, Killer is Dead
#104guedesbrawlPosted 10/8/2013 12:03:48 PM
BkzIzu posted...
LagPianist posted...
When Nintendo does it it is a gimmick, but when Sony does an inferior version of it it is a godsend? Typical fanboy nonsense

off-tv play is NEVER required.

au countraire, it's outright denied to you in games that use the second screen too much.
---
Here's hoping that Chrom will do Aether correctly in SSB4...
#105king_maddenPosted 10/8/2013 12:15:53 PM
Kuebel33 posted...
BkzIzu posted...
LagPianist posted...

Which in effect, by the very nature of the relationship, the Wii U and gamepad are far superior (As it relates to this anyhow) and specifically designed to function together as they do, versus being an after thought and added on later down the road as was with PSP and now Vita

lol um vita was actually thought of and implemented into ps4 development, it wasnt an after thought.

How is the wii U better? heck for a lot of people they cant even get it to work all that great in most parts of their home, away from their console.
#106Nerreltron9000Posted 10/8/2013 2:55:35 PM
VT-14 posted...

Issues with your argument...

"Neither system was explicitly designed for it"
Vita was designed to remote play with Gaikai's streaming technology.
PS4 was designed with Gaikai's streaming technology.

Don't believe me? What do you think the Vita TV is? It's a Vita without the screen, and connected to a DS3. It's only real point is to stream games from another source (Gaikai or a PS4)

Just because the PS3 wasn't designed with Gaikai's streaming technology, and wasn't explicitly designed for it doesn't mean the later products weren't.

"Vita doesn't have enough buttons"
Easily corrected with the touchscreen and touchpad.

"Mirroring Only"
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-9020_7-57570338-222/ps4-and-the-vita-the-multiscreen-dream...again/
-False

I didn't even read the rest of your post because there was so much wrong with the first paragraph.

Just because the PS4 and Vita were both designed to use Gakai streaming does not mean that they were specifically designed to stream to each other.

It's easy to underestimate how much work Nintendo put into getting the level of latency they have with their streaming, but the reality is that it's much more complicated than simply connecting two devices with WiFi.

The first Wii U development kits didn't even have wireless gamepads for months on end because the technology was still in development. Nintendo had Broadcomm custom make WiFi modules for the gamepad and they developed compression techniques that would allow a signal to quickly be scaled, streamed, received by the pad and displayed in under 2 frames' time.

I don't think Vita remote play will be unplayably laggy or anything, but if getting a low latency connection were just as simple as connecting two devices through Gakai, then why would Nintendo go through all the trouble?

Point being that these devices are capable of streaming to each other, but were not designed around the concept and won't work as well as a result of it, even if they do work well enough to get the job done.

As far as the second screen interaction goes, I see nothing in that article that confirms it. All the author said was "maybe."