I need a shiny new HDTV to go with my PS4

#1gjc2007Posted 10/7/2013 7:19:55 PM(edited)
This is what I have right now.

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/P912167.jpg

I've had this sucker since it came out back when my parents got it for me, lol (I think I was like...13, maybe 14. My other TV got damaged when we moved). I still think it's a nice little TV (well, not little so much. This thing weighs like 100lbs. EDIT: WOW, 187 lbs. Yeah, sounds about right, haha).

It's time to upgrade though...I don't even think I have a choice, I literally have to upgrade to hook up the PS4. IIRC, it doesn't have composite cables...and either way, I'm just ready to upgrade.

I've got $2.5k ready to pump into a TV and a decent sound system. After hours of sifting through a decades worth of crap and getting up to date on TVs, I think I've decided on a Sony KDL-55W802A and a Pioneer SP-PK52FS sound system.

From my reading the TV has 17ms input lag. I've read that the picture isn't quite as good as other/cheaper TVs though, so I'm definitely up for looking at something with a better picture quality if it can keep at 34ms of input lag or less (any more than 2 frames is a bit much IMO). And I'd like to keep the screen size at least 47", but I would prefer 55" or more.

Anyone got any TV suggestions based on that?
#2gjc2007(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 7:19:23 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3jonnyram4000Posted 10/7/2013 7:50:38 PM
Here a nice panny TC-P55VT60 2k at amazon right now and input lag is 24-30 and the tv is 55inch the 60inch is 2.3k.
---
3820 5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | 3way FTW670 4gb |Sammy 830 256gb SSD I sammy 1tb l Mobo ASUS Rampage IV Formula l ASUS PB278Ql PSU ST1500 l HD598 l HDTV PN51D8000
#4SS_MetalSonicPosted 10/7/2013 8:19:43 PM
Ewwwwww a sony tv...dont get a sony tv
---
PSWiiPC60DS - Sonic Generations, Asura's Wrath, Crysis 3, Metro 2033, Bioshock 2, Darksiders 2, El Shaddai, Mass Effect 3, Halo 4, Skyrim, Bulletstorm
#5gjc2007(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 8:21:23 PM
jonnyram4000 posted...
Here a nice panny TC-P55VT60 2k at amazon right now and input lag is 24-30 and the tv is 55inch the 60inch is 2.3k.

Awesome thanks.

I've been back and forth on Plasma or a Backlit LED, but I keep coming back to the potential burn in issue.

I'm really worried about hud elements burning into the screen. I tend to have some fairly lengthy game sessions when I really get into a game. Sometimes 4+ hours, or maybe a few 3 hour sessions broken up. But then I also have pretty long stretches in between games some times too (some times I wont actually play anything for a week or two). Maybe I'm being overlay paranoid.

What's your experience been with burn in (this is for anyone else than can help out too)?
---
Why used games don't hurt the industry and why content passes are bull****: http://umthumbs.gametrailers.com/users/noobiablos/gamepad/?
#6xGREEDxPosted 10/7/2013 8:25:14 PM
As jonny stated, the VT60 is definitely a good option. Though from my knowledge, it's average input latency is closer to the 48 ms range (with game mode enabled). If you want lower input latency and great picture quality, I highly recommend the Panasonic S60 line (or the S64 which is just the same tv but is Costco/Sam's Club's club model). It won't be able to perform as well as the VT (which is probably one of the best looking tv's available at the moment) or ST line of Panny's, but it has the lowest input latency (averages about 34 ms) of the entire 2013 line released earlier this year.
---
PSN: Las-Espadas
Monster Hunter Tri Online ID: J9WLGJ
#7182WaysPosted 10/7/2013 8:29:42 PM
Do you have a AV receiver in mind?

I spent a lot of time researching speakers before I settled on the same Pioneer speakers you linked; they really are a terrific value. Though I've heard many say the sub is kind of poor, so I opted to pick up a different one.
---
PSN | Mtlegacy
#8Kovifan27Posted 10/7/2013 9:03:10 PM
gjc2007 posted...
jonnyram4000 posted...

Awesome thanks.

I've been back and forth on Plasma or a Backlit LED, but I keep coming back to the potential burn in issue.

I'm really worried about hud elements burning into the screen. I tend to have some fairly lengthy game sessions when I really get into a game. Sometimes 4+ hours, or maybe a few 3 hour sessions broken up. But then I also have pretty long stretches in between games some times too (some times I wont actually play anything for a week or two). Maybe I'm being overlay paranoid.

What's your experience been with burn in (this is for anyone else than can help out too)?

Put my PS3 on a brand new Plasma(LG 60") that was brand new out of box. Never an issue w/burn in even running MW3 for hours.
#9gjc2007(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 11:07:59 PM
182Ways posted...
Do you have a AV receiver in mind?

I spent a lot of time researching speakers before I settled on the same Pioneer speakers you linked; they really are a terrific value. Though I've heard many say the sub is kind of poor, so I opted to pick up a different one.

Got no clue as to what AV Receiver. I don't need anything special. Just something basic.
---
Why used games don't hurt the industry and why content passes are bull****: http://umthumbs.gametrailers.com/users/noobiablos/gamepad/?
#10Combo MasterPosted 10/7/2013 11:25:27 PM
Panasonic plasmas give off the best picture than led's and viewing angles but I have the WWE logo burned into the screen and there is nothing I can do about it.

If I was to get another tv I would still get a plasma but a 3 year or more burn in protection warranty would be a must which ups the cost a lot.
---
Combo Master