Sony tested Xbox stick layout for DS4

#1Styrof0amPosted 10/21/2013 11:57:54 PM
Interesting little read that shows Sony put some thought and effort into the DS4.

Before settling on the largely-familiar design of the DualShock 4, Sony had experimented with a number of new controller ideas for PS4. One facet the company was mindful of was the placement of the analog sticks. Many shooter players have grown accustomed to the asymmetrical placement of both left and right sticks on Xbox 360's gamepad.

Full article here:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/81675/sony-tested-xbox-stick-layout-for-dualshock-4?
#2UniversquallPosted 10/21/2013 11:59:08 PM
Good that they didn't go with it.
---
After The Fallout. Beyond Rapture. Believe In the Fireflies
#3GuitaristMattPosted 10/22/2013 12:00:33 AM
I see this topic becoming a clone of the neogaf one.

I'm glad they didn't change it.
---
What does it mean if the PS Button glows blue?
"orcs are near" -OMG_A_PONY
#4VanderZooPosted 10/22/2013 12:02:02 AM
Universquall posted...

They don't have a very good reason for not doing it though, their reason is "tradition". That's a pretty stupid reason to not change (improve).
---
Oi, Aussies! Shop at ozziegameshop.com or dungeoncrawl.com
#5VanderZooPosted 10/22/2013 12:03:00 AM
And I'll say the DS4 looks awesome, I think it looks better than the Xbox controller, but the left analogue stick needs to be where the d-pad is.
---
#6GFqsGangsterPosted 10/22/2013 12:03:36 AM
VanderZoo posted...
Universquall posted...

They don't have a very good reason for not doing it though, their reason is "tradition". That's a pretty stupid reason to not change (improve).

Hell no I'm glad they kept it the same. The 360 gives my thumb cramps when trying to use the analog in fighting games. It sucks.
---
"everyone's making awful games," - Keiji Inafune (2010 Tokyo Game Show)
#7UniversquallPosted 10/22/2013 12:03:48 AM
VanderZoo posted...

Changing doesn't=Improving.
---
#8UniversquallPosted 10/22/2013 12:04:16 AM
GFqsGangster posted...
Hell no I'm glad they kept it the same. The 360 gives my thumb cramps when trying to use the analog in fighting games. It sucks.

TBF you probably aren't a pretend giant.
---
#9VanderZooPosted 10/22/2013 12:06:46 AM
GFqsGangster posted...
VanderZoo posted...
Universquall posted...

You shouldn't be using the thumbstick for fighting games anyway, that's what the d-pad is for.
---
#10VanderZooPosted 10/22/2013 12:07:59 AM
Universquall posted...
VanderZoo posted...

Changing doesn't=Improving.

In this case it would be an improvement. Read the article, they admit that FPS game studios wanted the left analogue stick up top, but Sony decided against it because they wanted to keep a traditional look.
---