Only 10 games at a time on the HDD, even with the disc

#1skermacPosted 10/30/2013 4:45:11 AM
It doesn't bother me too much because I will play most games, then delete from hdd and sell the physical copy. But I HATE doing full installs of a disc, it defeats the purpose of the disc. It should be a partial.

But I wonder if Sony will sell a different model in a few months with a bigger hdd. The PS3 had different sizes and I see the PS4 doing that too next year.

"A new generation of consoles means a new generation of games, but hard drive space does not appear to be scaling in proportion to install sizes. With a single game topping 50 GB for PS4 titles, you may be able to access only about 10 games at a time, even if you buy discs instead of digital downloads.

Box art has begun to surface for PS4 titles, and along with box art comes system specs. "Call of Duty: Ghosts," "Killzone Shadow Fall" and "Knack" have their system requirements listed on the back, and each one will take up a fairly hefty chunk of hard drive space.

"Knack," a kid-oriented action/adventure game, will take 37 GB to install.
Sci-fi first-person shooter "Killzone Shadow Fall" weighs in at 39.7 GB.
"Call of Duty: Ghosts," the near-future military FPS, takes the cake at 50 GB.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-many-games-ps4,news-17779.html
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#2DarkFistsPosted 10/30/2013 4:48:34 AM(edited)
The cache will result in data being freed up every time you switch a disk, so unless you install it, I don't see a problem.
#3ruthless7667Posted 10/30/2013 4:51:34 AM
Will constant caching wear out the laser lens more quickly?
---
Victory is life. There comes a point when the odds are against you and the only reasonable course of action is to quit.
#4DarkFistsPosted 10/30/2013 4:55:11 AM
Doubt it. They wouldn't allow something like that to go through if it destroys the reader, I'm sure they tested that at least.
#5skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 4:57:45 AM
DarkFists posted...
The cache will result in data being freed up every time you switch a disk, so unless you install it, I don't see a problem.

I'm not sure but I think we have to do a full install of the disc. True? I hope its just partial
---
#6xninjagrrlPosted 10/30/2013 5:07:13 AM
The pathetic small hd space in the next gen consoles basically mean people will buy/play less games. I know I will tire very quickly of having to delete and install games.
---
Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.
#7WM_PMCPosted 10/30/2013 5:11:36 AM
Jesus, you make the worst topics. Unless you are digitally downloading your games, you will have WAY more than 10 games. Assuming all 500GB is available (I know it won't, but for argument's sake) and assuming that the partial install that stays even after the cache is cleared is an average of 5GB, you'll be able to have 91 games.

Read this to understand how the caching works: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/67646531#27
---
PSN: WingNut125
KiP Info: www.kipclan.info; KiP forum: www.kipclan.com
#8vashtrichamPosted 10/30/2013 5:12:30 AM
xninjagrrl posted...
The pathetic small hd space in the next gen consoles basically mean people will buy/play less games. I know I will tire very quickly of having to delete and install games.

Then upgrade your HDD to 1 TB or more
---
Injustice Main: Superman, Flash
Subs : Green Lantern, Shazam
#9DMBHovDogPosted 10/30/2013 5:18:47 AM
I'm used to it from having a 360 so it's not a big deal...I have absolutely ZERO need to have more than a few full sized retail games installed at one time
#10skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 5:45:16 AM
WM_PMC posted...
Jesus, you make the worst topics. Unless you are digitally downloading your games, you will have WAY more than 10 games. Assuming all 500GB is available (I know it won't, but for argument's sake) and assuming that the partial install that stays even after the cache is cleared is an average of 5GB, you'll be able to have 91 games.

Read this to understand how the caching works: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/67646531#27

I think I will take the word of a professional over you. You act like I made this up. What a fanboy you are.
---