Why is it that in the BF4 comparison the PS4 looks washed down in comparison?

#1hitman911usPosted 11/4/2013 7:19:09 PM
Not a troll topic, I'm getting a PS4 at launch and see no reason to own both a PS4 and X1 for now. But I couldn't help but notice the colors look more vibrant in the X1 version. To my knowledge the PS4 has the advantage at 900P and 60 fps, so why is it that in the comparison vids the X1 looks a bit sharper? This was specially evident in an elevator scene in which you could see the detailed hair on Irish's character model on the X1, and on the PS4 there was hardly any detail in comparison and looked a bit blurred and washed out.
---
Let's go Brew crew!!!
#2SophisticationPosted 11/4/2013 7:23:24 PM
Because the xb1 has an awesome scaler chip that makes the games look better than ps4's. Plus 900p upscaled to 1080p is going to cause blurry, stretched out texture and color pallet problems when ps4 doesn't have a good scaler.
---
As 1 of 3 original Sophistocrats, I'm Here to spread judicious business and teach fellow faqers how to be smash hit forum posters with successful game taste.
#3SDFan18Posted 11/4/2013 7:23:35 PM
The xbox one footage clearly has the black levels crushed with edge sharpening on. I don't think that looks all that great. So I'd say there is some manipulation with the visual settings in the digital foundry comparison. We'll see what BF4 on PS4 really looks like next week.
---
"Welcome to nowhere and finding out where it is."
http://psnprofiles.com/BBFaNaTiC86
#4RussellGorallPosted 11/4/2013 7:28:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3Z0xw5JKEcnd5rG1o6due-Lv48ItghDT

It looks pretty good.
---
The better you look, the more you'll see.
PSN - honkayjeezus
#5Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 11/4/2013 7:30:45 PM
Sophistication posted...
Because the xb1 has an awesome scaler chip that makes the games look better than ps4's. Plus 900p upscaled to 1080p is going to cause blurry, stretched out texture and color pallet problems when ps4 doesn't have a good scaler.

This is not true. Both systems have the same upscaler.

The PS4 version probably has FXAA applied which causes blurrieness, but smoothes out jaggies.

The Xbox version has the contrast all the way up. Kind of like how you do when you change your TV color Settings
---
http://i.imgur.com/Z3MIjNj.jpg
If you believe in Allah and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#6hitman911us(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 7:31:07 PM
Sophistication posted...

So you're telling me that even though the PS4 is claimed to have a slight edge in the hardware department, multiplats will look better on X1.
---
Let's go Brew crew!!!
#7181stCommanderPosted 11/4/2013 7:35:07 PM(edited)
SDFan18 posted...
The xbox one footage clearly has the black levels crushed with edge sharpening on. I don't think that looks all that great. So I'd say there is some manipulation with the visual settings in the digital foundry comparison. We'll see what BF4 on PS4 really looks like next week.

This. They are trying to make the XO version look better because EA has a contract with MS to get the maps earlier.
---
Join The Galactic Empire, like the Imperial Fleet facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/theimperialfleet
#8UniversquallPosted 11/4/2013 7:34:31 PM
181stCommander posted...
This. They are trying to make the XO version better because EA has a contract with MS to get the maps earlier.

Must be a different contract to the Activision contract that embarrassed them
---
After The Fallout. Beyond Rapture. Believe In the Fireflies
#9SophisticationPosted 11/4/2013 7:34:58 PM
hitman911us posted...
Sophistication posted...

So you're telling me that even though the PS4 is claimed to have a slight edge in the hardware department, multiplats will look better on X1.

Yup, pretty much. Just look at the comparisons. Xb1 is running at 50% the rez and still looks sharper, more defined. Proof is in the pudding, marmalade.
---
As 1 of 3 original Sophistocrats, I'm Here to spread judicious business and teach fellow faqers how to be smash hit forum posters with successful game taste.
#10djw2005Posted 11/4/2013 7:35:56 PM
Digital Foundry admitted that they messed up the XBO captures. The exaggerated contrast and lack of shadow detail can be simulated by playing with the settings on your TV. This is the same trick they use on the display floor to make a TV "pop". Even DF thinks that the they made the XBO captures look worse.

If you compare the PS4 version to the PC version you'll see that they look very much alike.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-face-off-qa

The big question - did Digital Foundry botch its Battlefield 4 captures?

We've now examined Xbox One and PlayStation 4 game and UI/dashboard elements and have concluded that the equipment did exactly what was asked of it - it acquired digital video in a mathematically lossless format at 1080p60, in the full range RGB (0-255) colourspace. Dashboards and control panels were all set accordingly to match the requirements of the equipment. We're now satisfied that the captures on PS4 and PC are exactly as they should be - digitally lossless transmissions of what came out of the hardware.

So what's going on with Xbox One?

Xbox One was also acquired at full range 0-255 RGB with the dash set accordingly, in line with the other versions - exactly how we approach every Face-Off. We have now had informal confirmation from a very good source that current Xbox One hardware has issues with full-range RGB output that are not present on either PC or PS4. We asked DICE for comment and were told that they are "investigating the video output range and settings for Xbox One".

Is this the result of you processing the footage to make it look better compared to PlayStation 4?

Um, you don't make a game look better by crushing subtle detail. The lowering of dynamic range like this physically can't make a game look better - it can only look worse. The only regret here is that the drive for the best possible assets has resulted in captures that do not fully represent how DICE wants the game to be played.