Is the PS4 the last generation of pure gaming?

#11starman9000(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 1:10:34 AM
I will admit I am bias towards the ps but I am not stupid...
---
What is 5 minutes compared to eternity? -Dagwood comic strip
#12RhynomarPosted 11/6/2013 3:01:47 AM
I think the real determining factor in whether or not there will be more dedicated gaming consoles will most likely have to do with economics..

There is most likely a graph somewhere that shows the ratio of money spent on developing a game and copies sold.. Once copies sold reaches such a high number in order to make a profit, you will see companies stop/slow down/release smaller episodic gaming..

People have shown they are very weary of spending more than that 60$ mark initially for a game. That's where DLC, online subscriptions, annual releases, 5-10 hour stories, digital sales, and even stuff like not allowing CDs/mp3s/etc so that you buy their subscription services come into play. All these "extras" and/or omissions are coming from a "let's make profit" stand point..as that margin/gap closes, we will see our hobby disappear or become stupidly expensive (as if it already wasn't)
#13MrSpaM111Posted 11/6/2013 3:24:46 AM
Not sure about the pure gaming thing, but one thing is for sure, this is going to be the last gen where you are actually buying a console. Microsoft and Sony will just become a service like Netflix after this gen. No point in them spending money developing consoles and such if they can stream the games directly to your tv over your internet connection.
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#14TheRealPhattyJPosted 11/6/2013 3:50:25 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...
Not sure about the pure gaming thing, but one thing is for sure, this is going to be the last gen where you are actually buying a console. Microsoft and Sony will just become a service like Netflix after this gen. No point in them spending money developing consoles and such if they can stream the games directly to your tv over your internet connection.

Have fun waiting for your internet connection to tell the game what to do...and then there's the wait for it being done to get back to you.....

Until internet speeds are as fast as on-bus speeds inside the machines....nope.
#15MrSpaM111Posted 11/6/2013 4:13:49 AM(edited)
TheRealPhattyJ posted...
MrSpaM111 posted...

Have fun waiting for your internet connection to tell the game what to do...and then there's the wait for it being done to get back to you.....

Until internet speeds are as fast as on-bus speeds inside the machines....nope.

I'm talking about services like GaiKai and Onlive, not this 'power of the cloud' rubbish MS are spouting. GaiKai and Onlive already work with current connections, I've tried it myself (OnLive), as have many others, and it works flawlessly if you have a good internet connection. In 7-8 years time everybody will have an internet connection capable of running these services properly. This is the future of gaming, streaming game feeds directly to your TV screen, not consoles that are prone to breakdown and cost manufactures millions of dollars to produce. You'll see, the PS4 and XBO are the last true consoles we'll see.

Honestly, you need to learn the difference between this 'The cloud will make your console perform better and increase graphics performance' rubbish we keep hearing from Microsoft, and services that are actually currently in and working, and have already been proven, like OnLive. They aren't the same thing.
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628