Do I need to open a port on my router to enable Remote Play outside my network?

#11JetPilot(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 11:25:16 AM
ARMs7777 posted...
try dmz the PS4 and re-pair the vita to the PS4.

I will ask my wife to DMZ the PS4 on the router this evening and see if that works.

Just to be sure, the IP address I should put in the router DMZ is the one found under PS4>Settings>System>System Information which is 192.168.1.20

I follow this DMZ guide for Netgear?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1118

I'm guessing that if the DMZ works then I can delete the port forwarding that I set up?
---
PSN: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i").
3DS: 3952-7009-4485 ACNL Town Name: Picard
#12JetPilot(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 11:29:41 AM
Do I need to set a static IP on my PS4 for this to work? I know that can be done on my PS3, not sure about the PS4.

Thanks!
---
#13chitowngamer85Posted 11/17/2013 11:30:50 AM
JetPilot posted...
Do I need to set a static IP on my PS4 for this to work? I know that can be done on my PS3, not sure about the PS4.

Thanks!

That's what I did and it worked. YOu can definitely set a static IP on your pS4.
---
PSN: BigKurz
Remote Play via Internet Troubleshooting: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/67856622
#14JetPilot(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 12:46:40 PM
chitowngamer85 posted...
JetPilot posted...

Thanks!

That's what I did and it worked. YOu can definitely set a static IP on your pS4.

How? I don't see any directions in the PS4 online user manual and a Google search does not yield any results (which is expected since the system is so new).
---
#15chitowngamer85Posted 11/17/2013 12:49:07 PM
JetPilot posted...
chitowngamer85 posted...
JetPilot posted...

Thanks!

How? I don't see any directions in the PS4 online user manual and a Google search does not yield any results (which is expected since the system is so new).

you do the custom rather than automatic setup. its no different than anything else.

go to your ps4 internet settings, write down the different things

subnet is probably 255.255.255.0. gateway and primary dns are probably 192.168.1.1. make the IP addy something like 192.168.1.100
---
PSN: BigKurz
Remote Play via Internet Troubleshooting: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/67856622
#16Omnislash28027Posted 11/17/2013 12:56:33 PM
You could also reserve an IP address on the router instead using its mac address so the ps4 can still just be auto setup. Just go to the status screen for network and find the MAC address for wifi or LAN (whatever you're using) then go into the router, probably in DHCP settings and do a reserved address. You can then make that IP a DMZ in the firewall or port settings and that should open all ports on the PS4 so you'd have no problems downloading or broadcasting or anything.
---
PSN: TheHeartlessHero
#17JetPilot(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 2:17:53 PM
So I've tried the auto setup with everything...doesn't work.

I've tried opening ports with a static IP on the PS4...doesn't work.

I've set up a DMZ with a static IP on the PS4...doesn't work.

No matter what I've tried, I just can't get my Vita to communicate with my PS4 via the Internet.

The PS4 will boot up to the first start screen (see linked image above) but that is as far as it will go (it subsequently returns to standby mode after 5 minutes of no Vita connectivity). The Vita searches via Internet endlessly and then fails.

I'm frustrated...there's no reason why this shouldn't work. The PS4 connects to the Internet just fine. The Vita connects to the PS4 locally just fine.

Any other suggestions? I'm at my wits end here.
---
#18Omnislash28027Posted 11/17/2013 2:30:01 PM
I actually had a very similar issue. I thought it wasn't connecting from work but turns out it was and even went so far as to log me in at home. However, the vita would still say it failed to make a connection. I can only attribute this to the horrendous network here. Yours might be a similar case. How fast is your upload at home and the download from wherever you are attempting to connect with the vita?
---
PSN: TheHeartlessHero
#19ARMs7777Posted 11/17/2013 2:37:15 PM(edited)
Is the vita using the same account as the PS4? Can the vita connect to internet. Is the vitas wifi enabled? Whats your upload speed at home? What about the download and upload speed for where your trying to connect?
#20JetPilot(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 4:34:37 PM
ARMs7777 posted...
Is the vita using the same account as the PS4? Can the vita connect to internet. Is the vitas wifi enabled? Whats your upload speed at home? What about the download and upload speed for where your trying to connect?

Home: Average 10Mb down, 1Mb up (TWC cable Internet via WiFi)

First attempted non-home network: Average 10Mb down, 1Mb up (TWC cable Internet via WiFi)

Second attempted non-home network: Verizon LTE Network (it's significantly faster than my home WiFi, 3-4 times as fast last time I checked, but I'm no longer home so I can't test it right now).

Vita is using same account

Vita connects to Internet successfully

Vita WiFi is enabled

The PS4 does turn on, so it is getting some sort of signal to do so. But that's as far as it will go.

I really appreciate all the help everyone.
---