Games aren't art anymore. Microtransactions have destroyed them.

#1mtjormitchPosted 11/25/2013 9:18:25 PM
I used to love video games. But after seeing what has been happening in just the last 24 hours I feel sickened beyond words.

I was a defender of video games. I loved video games, their stories and their imagination... now... I don't know anymore.

When Roger Ebert said video games weren't art, and when people agreed with him, I fought back and hard, I wrote in 500+ post topics. I freaking defended it for over five years people. Topic to topic. I defended the stories they told and the games the deserved defending such as Heavy Rain, MGS, and even The Walking Dead. But now... It's all pointless. I feel like I am legitimately ready to cry now... this medium is dying of the cancer known as Microtransactions.

I defended them from people who hated the idea of actual thought being produced in video games. I defended their right to even exist to retro gamers who hated anything with more then 3 sentences of story.

I played artistic video game master pieces like Shadow of the Colossus and Ico, and Silent Hill 2, MGS, FF4/6/7/10/Tactics and others. I even played some really crappy indie games like Fez just to see the artistry.

But now... I have realized this... video games aren't art and it all the makers fault. They have literally decided, with this gen, to bend down this medium and destroy it for all it's worth before it becomes worthless to them and then run off before it implodes.

What we are witnessing right now before us... is unspeakable. It is a literal pile of bile that has decided to replace what we had once loved and kill it front of us, eat it, then do several other horrifying things to it after it passes through it's digestive system.

With what Forza is doing... it isn't going to be the worst. I promise that. Imagine if Forest Gump was a video game. They would have butchered out all the Vietnam scenes and sold you them for 20 bucks. While they would also unlock a good ending where Forest and Jenny live happily ever after for 50 bucks.

As soon as one person commits to this kind of system and supports it. There will be no stopping it. At all. This will murder all single player games. It will murder offline video games. It will murder anything of any artistic merit video games once had.

We are witnessing it. The end of video games as we know it. All caused by Apple and other publishers who only see us as cattle. Video games are no longer art, and never will be again.

I hate you Microsoft, I hate you Apple. I hate you Square Enix, I hate you Scamco, I hate you Iphone app games. You all have done what you have wanted to accomplish for years now. Art is dead now thanks to you. It's dead and it's never going to come back.

There is literally only one hope. If enough dumb little children buy thousands of dollars worth of in game items each and have their soccer mom parents sue game companies at a insane rate. This will be the only way to stop them, by getting government regulations in place. This is the only way I see things happening for our benefit as gamers anymore.

There are no other ways to save this medium now. Enjoy what you have while you got it. Because soon it will be all torn away from you forever, only for the games you had once loved to now be used like a prostitute in a back alley. Say goodbye to all of them and thank Iphone and Apple... Thank them for their hard work at destroying this once great medium we loved.
---
Story in video games have gotten more important than gameplay nowadays. I recommend dealing with this fact and learning that this is now a storytelling medium.
#2doodles40Posted 11/25/2013 9:21:19 PM
How many times in one day are you going to whine about this?
---
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
#3Joey2coolPosted 11/25/2013 9:25:11 PM
I agree to an extent. But I think you're being too dramatic.

So in your opinion, whether or not a game has artistic merit depends on if it has microtransactions?
---
Not changing this sig until a new Bloody Roar is announced! - Started: 10/29/2012
#4mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2013 9:28:28 PM
Joey2cool posted...
I agree to an extent. But I think you're being too dramatic.

So in your opinion, whether or not a game has artistic merit depends on if it has microtransactions?

Video games are now not about the quality expierence they can deliver in their main package. A video game as a piece of art is now dead, a video game as a service to continue to and add more to your video game as you pay more and more money is now the hit thing.

Art is dead and money killed it.
---
Story in video games have gotten more important than gameplay nowadays. I recommend dealing with this fact and learning that this is now a storytelling medium.
#5Sailor GoonPosted 11/25/2013 9:30:53 PM
ITT you're forced to pay for microtransactions
---
"A laptop is a handheld console" - LOL_FAQ
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#6CrimsonGear80Posted 11/25/2013 9:31:30 PM
the only thing "killing" video games is whiny-ass gamers who are never satisfied.

If there were no micro transactions, you'd just find something else to ***** about. Thinking the world revolves around you hurts YOU, not anyone else. maybe you should worry about yourself and not about luxury items.
---
Glad DmC shipped a million copies and was a success. Supporting risk-takers and change is how the industry grows.
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#7SirLemontPosted 11/25/2013 9:31:46 PM
1. Videogames will NEVER die. The industry is too big with developers working from every level.

2. What you're describing is the new phenomenon in AAA gaming, which in itself has gotten too large and bloated as is. They can only see the financial benefits, without realizing how much they're off-putting gamers in general. Some will defend it now, but when more games come along making the games feel more and more like grindfests purely to make microtransactions more enticing, then they'll change their tune. And best believe, developers and publishers will push gamers to their limit. They always have. It won't change anytime soon unless gamers make a stand NOW.
#8CrimsonGear80Posted 11/25/2013 9:33:06 PM(edited)
I'll also point out your sig which is hurtful to video games more than microtransctions will ever be. The day video games are no longer about playing them is the day they are dead and gone forever, you massive hypocrite.
---
Glad DmC shipped a million copies and was a success. Supporting risk-takers and change is how the industry grows.
#9CrimsonGear80Posted 11/25/2013 9:34:10 PM
Some will defend it now, but when more games come along making the games feel more and more like grindfests purely to make microtransactions more enticing, then they'll change their tune

cause there were never games that made you grind in order to beat them.....
---
#10ScaryLlamaPosted 11/25/2013 9:38:35 PM
SirLemont posted...
1. Videogames will NEVER die. The industry is too big with developers working from every level.

2. What you're describing is the new phenomenon in AAA gaming, which in itself has gotten too large and bloated as is. They can only see the financial benefits, without realizing how much they're off-putting gamers in general. Some will defend it now, but when more games come along making the games feel more and more like grindfests purely to make microtransactions more enticing, then they'll change their tune. And best believe, developers and publishers will push gamers to their limit. They always have. It won't change anytime soon unless gamers make a stand NOW.

2 is why we will see an industry crash this gen. Capcom is going to crap out, and the "too big to fail" publishers are going to take hits. We may not see it next year, but in 2015 I can almost promise you that we are going to see signs of weakness from the likes of EA, Activision, Squeenix. The industry has been gourging itself on CoD style games, and EA style micro transactions.
---
PSN/Steam: ScaryLlama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCrM1_7wnDU