Control your PS4 with Logitech Harmony remotes

#1CollCrofterPosted 12/19/2013 7:18:39 PM
Don't know if this is new or not, however I haven't seen this fix so here goes anyway...

I have a Sony KDL-55HX853

On the PS4, go into Settings and then System, make sure Enable HDMI Device Link is ticked on.

Setup your remote control Activities to 'Play PS4' or something, and set it up so that the controller is set to work your TV, you should then be able to work the PS4 using your Logitech Harmony :)
---
Nobody's perfect, but when you're from Scotland you're pretty damn close!
#2Valor_PhoenixPosted 12/19/2013 7:40:00 PM(edited)
Actually, that's the HDMI CEC and the PS3 has it as well.

Any TV remote will be able to control the PS4, because the devices can talk to each other. PS4 can tell the TV to change inputs when it comes on, etc.

It works for any modern TV with the newer standard HDMI ports.

On Sony TVs, CEC is called 'Bravia Synch'.

Trade names for CEC are Anynet+ (Samsung), Aquos Link (Sharp), BRAVIA Link and BRAVIA Sync (Sony), HDMI-CEC (Hitachi), E-link (AOC), Kuro Link (Pioneer), CE-Link and Regza Link (Toshiba), RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo), RuncoLink (Runco International), SimpLink (LG), T-Link (ITT), HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, VIERA Link (Panasonic), EasyLink (Philips), and NetCommand for HDMI (Mitsubishi)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC
---
~ PSN ID: ValorPhoenix ~ Raven [ / . \ ] Hubris ~ Bone Ravens
"There are more defective users than defective systems."
#3Reflex-ArcPosted 12/19/2013 8:08:27 PM
If you have multiple components running into a receiver and then into your TV, you may run into issues with this method. At least I do. :(
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#4JackalPosted 12/19/2013 8:36:15 PM
I have an old Samsung and it uses Anynet+. I know that it switches outputs but I can control the PS3 movie controls with my remote? Or should be able too? I'll have to try it out.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#5Valor_PhoenixPosted 12/19/2013 8:51:20 PM
Yeah, if your TV has the CEC standard, is connected via HDMI, and the remote is equipped with the bluray type controls, then you should be set.

Once I got my new TV, I could just use the TV remote for controlling the PS3. My TV remote happens to have a direction pad for navigating menus.

PS4 or any other CEC compatible electronics is the same.

Long story short; if your TV remote has extra buttons like play and pause, it can probably control the PS3/PS4 via the HDMI port.
---
~ PSN ID: ValorPhoenix ~ Raven [ / . \ ] Hubris ~ Bone Ravens
"There are more defective users than defective systems."
#6Mr BumpPosted 12/19/2013 8:53:18 PM
And you'll never be able to control the PS4 directly with a Harmony, as the PS4 uses Bluetooth, not IR.
---
My games room: http://imgur.com/a/CA2yz
XBL: Mister Bump PSN: Mr_BumpNZ
#7Reflex-ArcPosted 12/19/2013 10:27:20 PM(edited)
Mr Bump posted...
And you'll never be able to control the PS4 directly with a Harmony, as the PS4 uses Bluetooth, not IR.

Out of the box? No, but Logitech sells a Bluetooth adapter specifically for the ps3 that allows for their IR based remotes to work. The PS4 currently recognizes the adapter as a Bluetooth device, but the codes are different this time around. Logitech is currently working on adding the codes ( they actually have the PS4 listed in their device list) and expect to have it up and running sometime soon in 2014. Likely around the same time Sony release their bluetooth remote for the console.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#8KamakziePosted 12/19/2013 11:34:24 PM
My Samsung LED from 2009 works but the arrow buttons do multiple presses, so it makes it worthless for me.
#9CollCrofter(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 5:57:20 AM
Mr Bump posted...

I can assure you goo sir, that I am indeed controlling my PS4 with my Logitech Harmony One, the only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to rewind and fast forward... I can pause a movie and check the info of a movie (how longs left ect)... and I can control the UI perfectly, only a very slight lag.
---
Nobody's perfect, but when you're from Scotland you're pretty damn close!