Do you feel Japanese devs need to research human expression and realism?

#1Bayonetta_Posted 1/5/2014 6:13:56 AM
Something really really hit me hard today playing Tomb raider 2013. I don't think not one Japanese dev could pull a game like this off for many reasons. First is the emotions of Lara Croft. From her body language, speaking and her face expression they are always realistic. If she was turned into an Anime they'll overdo her emotions to crazy anime levels and place her in a micro armor bikini fighting tentacle monsters.

Secondly another problem is the overly sexualization of 99% of female characters in pretty much anything female coming out of Japan. I have no problems with fanservice Anime or Bayonetta because they are designed around being sexual. The problem here is that Japan just oversexualizes the hell out of literally every female character in every game and it gets very VERY old.

Last: Traditionalism just doesn't work anymore in life. In many Jrpgs and Anime you get this vibe of Traditionalism that the wife or female lead has to be submissive and the husband or lead male has to be the expendable provider hero (Tidus). Traditionalism leads both genders to be enslaved to outdated primitive beliefs about their roles. I think this is why many western gamers are completely sick of seeing the submissive female being saved by the dude in jrpgs. Another reason why FF13 Lightning has a massive fan base because she's NOT a traditional woman that needs a man. Sadly again, Lightning being designed by Japan they sexualized the hell out of her.

I'd like to see a Jrpg with an art style NOT anime. Characters that do NOT have anime cliche personalities. Maybe have the characters look Japanese show some Asian pride. This isn't to say they should stop making Anime based products or fanservice Anime. I'm just saying Japan has to step out of traditionalism and their comfort zone. FF15 already looks like another massive Anime cliche of protect the weak femalez and highly tedious anime storyline of dragged out bland talking scenes starring cliche Anime boy band guys.

Before some dude turns this into an east vs west. Western devs needs to chill out with the violence and fps games. Maybe make more games that aren't so dark and gritty. So both side have issues but I feel that Japan is very passive aggressive and highly stubborn as hell when it comes to change. I think so many Anime would be better if they apply a certain level of realistic expression to the characters instead of so much fakeness.
#2181stCommanderPosted 1/5/2014 6:17:36 AM
"If she was turned into an Anime they'll overdo her emotions to crazy anime levels and place her in a micro armor bikini fighting tentacle monsters."

10/10 would buy.
---
Join The Galactic Empire, like the Imperial Fleet facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/theimperialfleet
#3TheChoworderPosted 1/5/2014 6:31:29 AM
No one should touch Lara Croft she must be remained untouchable from anime.
#4Solid---SteakPosted 1/5/2014 6:34:00 AM
Yeah, anime sucks.
#5CarpeCapricornPosted 1/5/2014 6:39:54 AM(edited)
I see where you're coming from, but I like things the way they are. There is a great balance right now. Plenty of realistic portrayals in gaming as it is... and there are bound to be even more in the future, what with games such as the last of us getting rave reviews. I like having a little bit of everything to choose from depending on the mood I'm in... And this is coming from a gamer that typically likes the more realistic, emotional games that are out there more than the flashy, over-sexualized stuff. That doesn't mean I would want to change dragon's crown, or jrpg's or what have you. Because those games are amazing the way they are. If anything, I would say that japan needs to stop worrying about what the western cod gamers want and return to their roots. Games such as final fantasy should go back to turn based combat. Survival horror should go back to being SURVIVAL horror, instead of bang bang kill everything with plenty of ammo and pretend to be horror. Both genres need to go back to having an emphasis on exploration and resource managment. That's what makes them great.
---
---
Beings that are born of dreams must return to them...
#6darkbusterPosted 1/5/2014 6:40:44 AM
Japanese developers in general aren't as focused on realism, so it's a moot point in practice.
---
Remember kids, it's only an RPG until someone gets hit with a meteor; Then it's a JRPG!
SSBB: 3869 0521 7142
#7Neoreloaded313Posted 1/5/2014 6:49:45 AM
Japanese devs make games that the Japanese like with their culture. Most of your complaints are about things Japan likes, otherwise they wouldn't keep making games like that.
---
Trolls and ignorant people gets added to my ignore list.
#8ArsenicSteelPosted 1/5/2014 6:58:29 AM
Japanese devs tend to be focused on the cultural aspects and ways of expressions that are found amongst the people of Japan. As such, this might mean there will never be a Quantic Dream level game or at least not a game people that don't understand foreign cultures would be able to recognize.

I feel that when one attempts to superimpose one's domestic expectations into foreign media that it's an immediate sign that person needs some real cultural education and understanding that just because you are readily able to partake of another culture's media does not mean any portion of that media is crafted for your enjoyment.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#9AxccelPosted 1/5/2014 7:05:14 AM
The MGS series, asides from it's goofy Easter eggs and supernatural/nano machines, seem pretty realistic and expressive.
---
PSN: EZed2587
X/Y FC : 3136-7857-6751
#10Bayonetta_(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2014 7:25:43 AM
ArsenicSteel posted...
Japanese devs tend to be focused on the cultural aspects and ways of expressions that are found amongst the people of Japan. As such, this might mean there will never be a Quantic Dream level game or at least not a game people that don't understand foreign cultures would be able to recognize.

I feel that when one attempts to superimpose one's domestic expectations into foreign media that it's an immediate sign that person needs some real cultural education and understanding that just because you are readily able to partake of another culture's media does not mean any portion of that media is crafted for your enjoyment.

I think you've made a interesting point here. The ways of expression are in fact different in Japan but we have to ask ourselves why is that. Are their social expressions the way they are for good reasons or for bad.