Are the cheaper Steam machines on par with the current gen consoles (PS4, Xbox1)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Are the cheaper Steam machines on par with the current gen consoles (PS4, Xbox1)

User Info: ZiggiStardust

ZiggiStardust
3 years ago#1
80/80

http://kotaku.com/from-alienware-to-zotac-all-the-steam-machines-with-sp-1495960379
Don't be jell, but these are the games in which I play.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/ZiggiStardust/games

User Info: doughnutman

doughnutman
3 years ago#2
They seem a bit expensive for a steam platform imo. $1000+ seems like a bit much. And it looked like the cheaper ones would just get outdated quickly.
Gamertag: ArsenicJoker

User Info: CronoGuyver

CronoGuyver
3 years ago#3
They are not worth the money they are asking for them. If you want a good machine, you should simply build your own, It will last much longer and would be cheaper in a long run.

Plus, yeah they would be outdated fairly quickly.
Those who come with a sword, will die by the sword.

User Info: Beasthunt

Beasthunt
3 years ago#4
I expected them to be a little better, tbh. I am pricing the lower model ones, the 499 model.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I do not have a 760, I have a 660m which is considerably worse and I can max pretty much any game.......in 720. I think the ps4 will get the edge on the comparably priced ones due to optimization in the long run, but with these boxes you can toss in a new card in 3 or 4 years that will be cheap and have max graphics again.

That is not facts talking, just my limited knowledge and experience. By all means, please someone with a 760 or R2 970 correct me if I am wrong and set us all straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMiUx5rbx6I

Got some good benchmarking fps at the end of the video. Mind you the card has a slight over clock and even the guy said the card can do better. This is a MSI R9 270 card that was reviewd before the masses got it and i'm sure the drivers have made it better since this video. Just a quick search pulled it up.

All at ultra:

Tomb Raider ultimate at 61fps.
Boderlands 2 at 121 fps
Bioshock Infinite at 104 fps
Battlefield 4 at 60fps

That is a pretty good indication that the R2 970 is a good card but these cards will not hold up vs the optimization of games like ps4 will in the future, say 4 years down the road me thinks anyway. But as it stands now, those machines are beast and can smoke what the ps4 and Xone can do. I think I just talked myself into getting a steam box......
Gamertag: Beasthunt, PSN: Beasthunt.
Acts 2:38
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Are the cheaper Steam machines on par with the current gen consoles (PS4, Xbox1)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived