It amazes me that Don't Starve (and others) manages to outdo most AAA games

#71maniacalmfPosted 1/10/2014 3:24:28 PM
MaliciousMongo posted...

But what they do accomplish is they harken back to a bygone era where games were purely about the excitement, mystery, suspense, etc. that you felt WHILE ACTUALLY PLAYING THEM.

I feel all those feelings with the right AAA game. I know I keep going back to it, but The Last Of Us? At the time, my daughter was 18 months, so I was still relatively new to fatherhood. The first 15 minutes of gameplay I was at the edge of my seat and tears on my face at the end.

Even in the Telltale Walking Dead game, I audibly gasped when Lilly shot Carly in the face

And that bit about survival horror? I am actually looking forward to Outlast on the PS4
#72AnakeriePosted 1/10/2014 3:27:27 PM
Of course only time will tell, but if they can sort out the flood mess and get No Man's Sky up and running, I have a feeling that game is going to blow a lot of the big-names right out of the water (or sky). Watching the trailer got me as excited as a little kid. I started gaming in the early 80's: I don't care if graphics are photo-realistic or the game can sing, dance, and make delicious brownies. I just want something that's fun and interesting, and that I can sink a lot of hours into. And indie game-makers actually seem to understand this.
---
GT: CrampedSultana
Pawn: Zarianna
#73HansukeiPosted 1/10/2014 3:28:01 PM
Indie games is where it is at. It is too bad Microsoft screwed out a lot of Indie games. I honestly barely play AAA games anymore as the Indie games are usually better.
#74maniacalmfPosted 1/10/2014 3:28:52 PM
Nemeksis posted...
maniacalmf posted...
Nemeksis posted...
maniacalmf posted...
Here goes my open rant on stupid indie games:

I hate them. Hate them, hate them, hate them. Why? No real character development, no innovative gameplay, no deep story driven plots. Back in the my days of Nintendo/Genesis (I'm 32 yrs old, let's just get that out of the way), yeah I really didn't care for those aspects in video games. Games like Super Mario Bros and Sonic were fun side-scrolling platformers. But when the PlayStation was released, I was introduced to something new: deeper stories and characters to root for (MGS, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter, etc). And with each new console release, the character development and stories get deeper and deeper. But everyone wets their pants over indie games that resemble old video games, and I don't get it. If I wanted to play a 8-bit/16-bit platformer, I'd get out my Genesis.

And let me just argue the point of "well you never played it, so how would you know if you don't like it?". I never took a hammer to my head, but I know I'm not going to like THAT (yes, taken from Carlos Mencia a bit). And before people call me out on being another FPS CoD/Battlefield fan, I am far from that. In fact, I could not care less about FPS games. My cup of tea: Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil (6 sucked big though), Assassin's Creed (I stopped at III), Mirror's Edge, Heavy Rain, The Last Of Us, etc.

As if AAA games had any real character development or deep stories, if anything the writing in most AAA games is even worse.

Not sure if serious

Completely serious, are you really telling me with a straight face that Resident Evil has a deep story?

Well, yeah. How does it not?

BradyGames even published TWO books to cover the entire mythos that is Resident Evil, covering character relationships, linking storylines from game to game, details of the Umbrella Corporation, etc.

So again, how does Resident Evil not have a deep story?
#75NemeksisPosted 1/10/2014 3:34:45 PM
maniacalmf posted...
Nemeksis posted...
maniacalmf posted...
Nemeksis posted...
maniacalmf posted...
Here goes my open rant on stupid indie games:

I hate them. Hate them, hate them, hate them. Why? No real character development, no innovative gameplay, no deep story driven plots. Back in the my days of Nintendo/Genesis (I'm 32 yrs old, let's just get that out of the way), yeah I really didn't care for those aspects in video games. Games like Super Mario Bros and Sonic were fun side-scrolling platformers. But when the PlayStation was released, I was introduced to something new: deeper stories and characters to root for (MGS, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter, etc). And with each new console release, the character development and stories get deeper and deeper. But everyone wets their pants over indie games that resemble old video games, and I don't get it. If I wanted to play a 8-bit/16-bit platformer, I'd get out my Genesis.

And let me just argue the point of "well you never played it, so how would you know if you don't like it?". I never took a hammer to my head, but I know I'm not going to like THAT (yes, taken from Carlos Mencia a bit). And before people call me out on being another FPS CoD/Battlefield fan, I am far from that. In fact, I could not care less about FPS games. My cup of tea: Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil (6 sucked big though), Assassin's Creed (I stopped at III), Mirror's Edge, Heavy Rain, The Last Of Us, etc.

As if AAA games had any real character development or deep stories, if anything the writing in most AAA games is even worse.

Not sure if serious

Completely serious, are you really telling me with a straight face that Resident Evil has a deep story?

Well, yeah. How does it not?

BradyGames even published TWO books to cover the entire mythos that is Resident Evil, covering character relationships, linking storylines from game to game, details of the Umbrella Corporation, etc.

So again, how does Resident Evil not have a deep story?

Complex and convoluted does not equal deep, RE has a bloated plot, characters with bad character, awful dialogue, loads of plot holes, tons of retcons. But then, you also seem to think Metal Gear has a good story so I guess you enjoy those characteristics in your stories.
#76BeasthuntPosted 1/10/2014 3:36:00 PM
MacBookAir posted...
#1) Don't ever say "Thank Sony".

#2) I totally agree. The thing about indie games is they are a somewhat hit-and-miss, but some indie games have managed to totally outdo AAA games.

I think Don't Stave might be one of my favorite games. I'm totally going to buy the PC version as well.

Don't stave me, bro!
---
Gamertag: Beasthunt, PSN: Beasthunt.
Acts 2:38
#77maniacalmfPosted 1/10/2014 3:42:49 PM
Nemeksis posted...

Complex and convoluted does not equal deep, RE has a bloated plot, characters with bad character, awful dialogue, loads of plot holes, tons of retcons. But then, you also seem to think Metal Gear has a good story so I guess you enjoy those characteristics in your stories.

Yes, they may be complex and convoluted, but at least there's a story to follow and characters to develop. Minecraft? Oh right, an open world to build on and nothing else. Don't Starve? Oh look a professor that has to survive. Limbo? "I'm just a boy that has to get to this girl at the end and that's it".
#78NemeksisPosted 1/10/2014 3:44:59 PM
maniacalmf posted...
Nemeksis posted...

Yes, they may be complex and convoluted, but at least there's a story to follow and characters to develop. Minecraft? Oh right, an open world to build on and nothing else. Don't Starve? Oh look a professor that has to survive. Limbo? "I'm just a boy that has to get to this girl at the end and that's it".

Three indie games doesn't have a plot (even though you're wrong about Limbo, you can't comprehend symbolism), that means all of them don't as well! Oh you!
#79maniacalmfPosted 1/10/2014 3:55:51 PM
Nemeksis posted...
maniacalmf posted...
Nemeksis posted...

Three indie games doesn't have a plot (even though you're wrong about Limbo, you can't comprehend symbolism), that means all of them don't as well! Oh you!

Ok then:

Bit Trip
N (or N+, whatever the hell)
Jetpack Joyride
DayZ
Rust
Q.U.B.E.
Super Meat Boy
Joe Danger
#80garcia_jxPosted 1/10/2014 3:55:59 PM
That game was a total borefest