Jumping Ship from Xbox One

#31RybalPosted 1/10/2014 2:28:33 PM
Valor_Phoenix posted...
Welcome to the party.

---

The creator of the standalone zombie survival game says that Microsoft has forced his hand.

Dean "Rocket" Hall is working on a standalone version of his popular Arma II mod, DayZ, and has been for... a good while. Despite the numerous delays, Hall is looking ahead and says that the game will likely come to next-gen consoles after the PC release. After hearing the details of the Xbox One, however, Hall may only be bringing DayZ to the PC and PS4, considering Microsoft's indie-unfriendly policies.

"We're happy to see DayZ on any console," Hall says, "but there is a... I guess one problem. The console needs to not charge for us to do updates and it needs to be indie title friendly." As it stands, the Xbox One is zero for two on those requirements: Microsoft's running strategy restricts indie publishing, and their policy of charging exorbitant fees for post-release patches has proved disruptive for even the most successful indie studios.

Meanwhile, Sony has been expressing interest in getting DayZ onto the PS4 for months now, and Hall is attracted to their free patching policy - especially given the bug-ridden status of DayZ. "It's gonna take a long time for us to be able to iron this out and we don't wanna have to be paying ten, twenty thousand dollars - whatever it is - every time we wanna do an update."

Hall did mention that he's not ethically opposed to an Xbox One port in the future, but it won't come without change from Microsoft. In other words... don't hold your breath.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125057-DayZ-Coming-to-PS4-Ditching-Xbox-One

FYI, MS has changed many of their indie policies, so this may have changed as well.
---
To all trolls (and those that are tired of the trolling) - http://goo.gl/YVX7op
PSN: Rybal_81
#32DeathDealerKS(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2014 2:32:22 PM
Xbox will eventually have some great exclusives. Hell, the technically do this year, but they are just not things I am into. I don't care about Halo at all anymore. Titanfall will push sales for them, and I can't wait for it. I just happen to have a good pc gaming group and don't have to feel like I need to play it on xbox one.

You don't have to say a game sucks because you can't play it, but that also doesn't mean that each title appeals to everyone. At first it didn't seem like console choice would really matter that much, that we would all be playing the same thing, but that isn't the case any more. Xbox has put there focus into being a media machine, which is awesome if you want that. PS has put emphasis on indie titles, an active "arcade" and mmo publishing. That's what I want, and I'm willing to miss whatever stuff MS comes up with to have it. Doesn't mean I won't possible have a One farther down the road, but for now I chose to go with Sony's lineup and direction.
---
Kratos is neither a good guy or bad guy, he is a bad ass. He can do whatever the hell he wants...
#33BobberdongPosted 1/10/2014 3:22:43 PM
DeathDealerKS posted...
To add, a lot of people would rather play on console. I know that's something a pc diehard can't wrap their brain around, but many don't want to be stuck at a desk. Mostly because that's where we spend our days at work.

I just built a PC and I'm not confined to a desk. It's hooked up via HDMI to a 58 inch HDTV in my gaming/movie room.
---
Any man who's afraid of hiring the best ability he can find, is a cheat who's in a business where he doesn't belong.- Atlas Shrugged
#34HansukeiPosted 1/10/2014 3:23:48 PM
Good choice it is too bad you didn't realize this a year ago? XD
#35DeathDealerKS(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2014 3:24:08 PM
Yeah, I used to do that, but moving it back and forth from my desk gets old. I know I can use big picture and most things have controller support, but i still just want to turn something on, not move something around. I don't leave my nice machine out near the couch.
---
Kratos is neither a good guy or bad guy, he is a bad ass. He can do whatever the hell he wants...
#36BobberdongPosted 1/10/2014 3:26:52 PM
DeathDealerKS posted...
Yeah, I used to do that, but moving it back and forth from my desk gets old. I know I can use big picture and most things have controller support, but i still just want to turn something on, not move something around. I don't leave my nice machine out near the couch.

I built a floating shelf under my tv for my consoles and my PC.
---
Any man who's afraid of hiring the best ability he can find, is a cheat who's in a business where he doesn't belong.- Atlas Shrugged
#37TurbokkPosted 1/12/2014 5:03:52 AM
The bone is bad.
#38BlackFeathersPosted 1/12/2014 5:12:17 AM
Horridhal posted...
Welcome.

Please don't troll.

That is all.

Troll??? I can't wait til we kill that STUPID word off. You guys are sooo eager to use it. The TC is not trolling. He even told us about some games some of us didnt know were coming. Thanks TC
---
NP:Killzone:Shadowfall & Warframe!
#39TevrenPosted 1/12/2014 8:18:55 AM
Welcome aboard! May you, and your family, find lots of enjoyment with the PS4.
---
PSN: Tarqosis
#40VirobotPosted 1/12/2014 8:21:13 AM
DeathDealerKS posted...
Oh, and I'm not even interested in Killzone :P

You'll fit in just fine here. :)
---
PSN/Steam:Jareski