Let's stop pretending exclusives are good for anyone please

#81sevil_yelimsPosted 1/28/2014 3:24:37 AM
Exclusives sell consoles and raise competition. All of which are GOOD things.

Fanboy wars are silly and childish (buy the gaming console that will make you the happiest), but variety is the spice of life.
---
I want it all.
#82Yuji_Ikaido(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2014 3:47:07 AM
sevil_yelims posted...
Exclusives sell consoles and raise competition. All of which are GOOD things.

Fanboy wars are silly and childish (buy the gaming console that will make you the happiest), but variety is the spice of life.

What does a console developer/hardware manufacturer have to do with the development of a video game? Nothing. How much did the company who made your television contribute to producing The Lord of the Rings, or whatever else it is you watch on television? Nothing.

Does that mean there is no competition between movies or TV shows? Do we not have quality television like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones simply because they haven't made exclusive deals with the hardware that plays their product (televisions/blue ray players)?

Movies/television do not limit their product to specific brand names, and yet they still have an endless sea of competition. Video games would still compete against other video games in order to release the most entertaining experience. Console exclusive are not a competition of video games, but a competition of brand names. This is not a competition that benefits the consumer.
#83UniversquallPosted 1/28/2014 4:17:00 AM
You aren't taking things so well Farmvillian.
---
After The Fallout. Beyond Rapture. Believe In the Fireflies
#84Pharsti01Posted 1/28/2014 4:27:14 AM
Well, ill disagree.... its not that i dont understand your point, its valid.... but, personally, i have nothing against getting a console for its exclusives and i enjoy the "personality" that they kind of give their own systems.
---
Democracy is when 2 wolves and a sheep meet to decide who is for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has a gun.
#85Reflex-ArcPosted 1/28/2014 10:10:52 AM
Pharsti01 posted...
Well, ill disagree.... its not that i dont understand your point, its valid.... but, personally, i have nothing against getting a console for its exclusives and i enjoy the "personality" that they kind of give their own systems.

I couldn't agree more with the bolded. :)
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#86DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/28/2014 5:40:28 PM
doughnutman posted...
And then there wouldn't be a need for more than one system.

Why isn't there just one system guys.

Monopolies are good.

A lot of exclusives are made by that company. Why would games made by Sony be on xbox?

Why not just switch to an open platform not owned by any singular entity?
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#87UniversquallPosted 1/28/2014 5:45:48 PM(edited)
BT's wish. Then they could stop missing out. Until then they are stuck with Farmville.
---
After The Fallout. Beyond Rapture. Believe In the Fireflies
#88GrimwhisperPosted 1/28/2014 6:04:47 PM
Exclusives promote developer competition. That competition drives gaming growth. This growth would still exist if there were only one platform that all games were available on. However, it wouldn't be to the same degree that we see it today.

As we seen today, sought after developers are supported by Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, or what have you. They get substantial financial backing, technical expertise, and marketing assistance in exchange for an exclusive title or content on their system. If everything was on a single platform, that support would become far less beneficial for the new monopoly platform. The games are all going to release on that platform anyway. There is little reason for them to bend over backward for the developer...
---
PSN is the same as my username. Is The Last Guardian out yet?
#89DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/28/2014 6:08:24 PM
Grimwhisper posted...
Exclusives promote developer competition. That competition drives gaming growth. This growth would still exist if there were only one platform that all games were available on. However, it wouldn't be to the same degree that we see it today.

As we seen today, sought after developers are supported by Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, or what have you. They get substantial financial backing, technical expertise, and marketing assistance in exchange for an exclusive title or content on their system. If everything was on a single platform, that support would become far less beneficial for the new monopoly platform. The games are all going to release on that platform anyway. There is little reason for them to bend over backward for the developer...

No they don't, because the exclusives use a platform to sell, and the platform uses the exclusives to sell. It's anticompetitive on every level.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#90prozac786Posted 1/28/2014 6:13:06 PM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Grimwhisper posted...

No they don't, because the exclusives use a platform to sell, and the platform uses the exclusives to sell. It's anticompetitive on every level.

You just disproved your own point. The platform uses exclusives to sell, hence it will want better exclusives than the competition so that gamers choose to buy that platform instead of going for the competition. Ergo, encourages competition, making it competitive at least on some level.
---
PSN Prozac786