I just messed up didn't I?

#1cheechmoosterPosted 1/28/2014 3:28:24 AM
I have been trying to get my hard drive from my old system to work on my replacement and I didn't realize I still had the power cable plugged in, I disconnected the hdmi instead and I pulled the hard drive out, I'm really tired and have been at this for a long time and was careless, maybe from lack of sleep, what is the likeliness that I damaged the system or hard drive?I'm worried even if it works I could have messed something up that won't show up until later on and I might lose my saves or something, the system was shut down but the power cable was still plugged in. How bad did I mess up, am I done for?
#2FoppePosted 1/28/2014 3:41:44 AM
If something got damaged, then you should see it the next time you start the system and use the harddrive.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#3MrSpaM111Posted 1/28/2014 3:49:49 AM(edited)
If you are lucky the hard drive wont be corrupt, try booting it back up again, if it starts up ok you should be fine. Pulling out drives whilst they were in use used to completely destroy the data on them, but you can get away with it sometimes with the newer drives.

Also back up all your saves to the cloud storage ASAP, it's better to have these stored online just incase something does go wrong.
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#4FoppePosted 1/28/2014 3:49:51 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...
If you are lucky the hard drive wont be corrupt, try booting it back up again, if it starts up ok you should be fine. Pulling out drives whilst they were in use used to completely destroy the data on them, but you can get away with it sometimes with the newer drives.

He said that the system was off so chances that the harddrive was in use is pretty slim.
Even if it was in standby, chances are that the harddrive was not reading/writing data.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#5cheechmooster(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2014 3:58:07 AM
well I had to delete all the data on it to get it installed which was only my ghosts save file and netflix and it's working so I think I'm ok. Thanks for the replies.
#6AtariSandraPosted 1/28/2014 4:26:27 AM
*facepalm*

Some people on this forum just.. Well.. I'm lost for words..
#7FoppePosted 1/28/2014 4:35:40 AM
AtariSandra posted...
*facepalm*

Some people on this forum just.. Well.. I'm lost for words..

My cousin called me once and asked about a few computer things.
He started to format a harddrive and seven seconds later I heard him ask why the formatting process stopped.
Turned out he had picked out the harddrive while it was still formatting.
---