If PS NOW does well, will the PS5 be all digital?

#1Spade21XPosted 2/23/2014 4:44:44 AM
I'm going to miss physical retail games...
Also if PS NOW does well, how do you think the way games are distributed will change? Will we see a Subscription based structure of gaming for the PS5? Will it be all cloud? Hmm...your opinions?
---
Currently Playing: Outlast (PS4) | Bravely Default (3DS)
PSN: Spade21X - NFC: 5241 - 1904 - 3885
#2ScaryLlamaPosted 2/23/2014 4:52:09 AM
Not ALL digital, but most definitely MS and Sony will be starting an integration of more digital sales this gen. PS5/Xbox Two will probably get an even bigger push, but physical discs will never be completely eliminated until ISP's improve their service.

They are the biggest thing holding the digital progression back right now. And Time Warner Comcast isn't going to make things any easier.
---
PSN/Steam: ScaryLlama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCrM1_7wnDU
#3spacedeletePosted 2/23/2014 4:52:38 AM
i have a feeling PS now and PlayStation plus are slowly trying to convince us that digital is good and then bam the PS5 is digital only. not sure how i feel as i don't care about owning discs anymore. i wonder if this is Sony's plan all along with PS plus.
#4__starsnostarsPosted 2/23/2014 5:08:01 AM
Probably all digital regardless of ps now's success.
#5knightimexPosted 2/23/2014 5:14:05 AM
We better get a 3 tb hd minimum.
---
X from the Y simulator meme.
I will create.
#6CharadeSmithPosted 2/23/2014 5:28:48 AM
I'm fine with all digital as long as it's not cloud based.
#7mrhappyguy12345Posted 2/23/2014 5:56:24 AM
I'm not so sure anymore. If the Comcast-TW deal goes through I think it's safe to say we can look forward to data caps for everyone which will be a major hindrance to digital services everywhere.
---
Save The Last Humans
#8locksmithblackPosted 2/23/2014 6:28:16 AM(edited)
FIrstly, PS Now will not do well enough to warrant a paradigm shift to that degree. Secondly, all digital, at best, will be a guaranteed "option" for all games.
---
Haters = Motivators
#9NewMoonShadowPosted 2/23/2014 6:24:46 AM
If PSNow is the go-to business model for the future, they won't need a PS5. If the content will be streaming then virtually any device will be able to access it. I see Smart TV's and Tablets with PSNow built-in using new wireless controllers. It'll become the NetFlix of video games. Hell it's already something they've talked about in regards to the service, making it available on more than just "PlayStation" devices.
#10NewMoonShadowPosted 2/23/2014 6:28:57 AM(edited)
mrhappyguy12345 posted...
I'm not so sure anymore. If the Comcast-TW deal goes through I think it's safe to say we can look forward to data caps for everyone which will be a major hindrance to digital services everywhere.

Capitalism should keep there from being blanket data caps on paying customers. After all, if one service offers a plan with a data cap and another offers one without a cap for the same price, people are going to go with the one without the cap. That's what keeps companies honest, competition.

This principal in action was basically what forced Microsoft to rescind their always-online DRM plan.