Do you think "youtubing" games is as harmful as piracy?

#1SnowxNeverLeftPosted 3/15/2014 3:30:50 AM(edited)
Before the 7th generation I used to buy pretty much any game that caught my interest, but lately I find myself just watching playthroughs/cutscenes on Youtube if I'm not 100% sure I would enjoy them. Such games include:

-Catherine
-Heavy Rain
-Bravely Default
-GTA 5
-MGS4
-Kingdom Hearts 3D
-TLoU
-DmC

If this wasn't an option, I would have definitely bought them regardless of how much I ended up liking them. For the record the only game of that list I regret youtubing is GTA 5.
This saved me more or less 400$, which obviously the videogame industry didn't earn.

Before the mandatory "do you even play games?" question, yes I do, and even lots of them. Which is why I have to filter out the games that interest me less, because I'd rather save time and money for those I really want to play.

Judging from the number of views of those playthroughs get right after the games are released, it would seem I'm not the only one who would rather not buy a game and just watch someone else playing it, so this is a pretty common occurence.

Do you think this practice is harmful to the industry just like piracy is?
Of course even if action was taken on Youtube, streaming games isn't illegal and many alternatives exist. What do you make of it?
#2XSilverPhoenixXPosted 3/15/2014 3:41:05 AM
Not at all. I've watched complete playthroughs of games that I was on the fence about or just frankly wouldn't buy even if I had an interest in seeing the game in it's entirety.

If anything it's a benefit to games because if you really like what you see then you are more inclined to buy it to play.

I bought the first two Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 games but after seeing Lightning Returns I knew it would never be a game that I would enjoy playing. I wanted to see it through simply for completing the first two games and while it's not the same as playing it I saved myself from misery in hating it while playing.

It's the same thing with Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. I liked some aspects of the first game and hated others so I didn't want to buy the sequel without seeing it first. The demo put me off and watching the game I enjoyed the story (to an extent) but other things about the game would have annoyed me greatly. I saved myself the money and disappointment.

I will watch playthroughs of other games that I may not be interested in playing but enjoy watching sometimes. I hate loud ass annoying people who never shut up while playing so I prefer no commentary which is few and far between.

I just got done watching South Park: The Stick of Truth to see how it was. Again, a game I wouldn't be interested in playing but wanted to see the game.
#3BushidoEffect3Posted 3/15/2014 3:43:32 AM
no.
---
http://i.minus.com/ibgMA0LFIXHWnz.gif
FO3>NV. Opinion. Don't agree? I don't care. (>^_^)>
#4NeoMonkPosted 3/15/2014 3:43:46 AM
I don't know... Personally I don't think it is
But I did watch all of the CGI clips put into like a movie for Tomb Raider and because now I know the plot and how it ends I never bought the game. So... maybe loss sales? Definitely not as bad as piracy tho'
---
Do you like Fantasy Baseball? Then join my league over at yahoo! MLB 14 The Show - ID# 128367
#5crazyman32Posted 3/15/2014 3:46:58 AM
No.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I apologize for nothing.
#6AwayFromHerePosted 3/15/2014 3:49:58 AM
I've bought at least a dozen games after watching playthoughs.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#7Jerk_BeefyPosted 3/15/2014 3:52:56 AM
XSilverPhoenixX posted...
Not at all. I've watched complete playthroughs of games that I was on the fence about or just frankly wouldn't buy even if I had an interest in seeing the game in it's entirety.

If anything it's a benefit to games because if you really like what you see then you are more inclined to buy it to play.

I bought the first two Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 games but after seeing Lightning Returns I knew it would never be a game that I would enjoy playing. I wanted to see it through simply for completing the first two games and while it's not the same as playing it I saved myself from misery in hating it while playing.

It's the same thing with Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. I liked some aspects of the first game and hated others so I didn't want to buy the sequel without seeing it first. The demo put me off and watching the game I enjoyed the story (to an extent) but other things about the game would have annoyed me greatly. I saved myself the money and disappointment.

I will watch playthroughs of other games that I may not be interested in playing but enjoy watching sometimes. I hate loud ass annoying people who never shut up while playing so I prefer no commentary which is few and far between.

I just got done watching South Park: The Stick of Truth to see how it was. Again, a game I wouldn't be interested in playing but wanted to see the game.

These are the exact arguments in favor of piracy.
#8TauriLeaderPosted 3/15/2014 4:16:17 AM
I am watching South Park on YouTube at the moment. I don't plan on getting the game until it is on PlayStation plus next year.
---
Due to recent economic conditions, and the rising cost of Electricity, Gas and Oil, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
#9GamerRafPosted 3/15/2014 4:24:14 AM
Well There's a difference on watching a play through or actually playing it. Sure you can watch it at no cost but what fun is that?
---
"Lets release a console with no games and no marketing." -Satoru Iwata, 2012
#10CrimsonGear80Posted 3/15/2014 4:27:10 AM
no.

with piracy, you actually have a copy of the game that you can play for free, which does take money away from devs.

Youtube, you are just watching videos. you don't ever play the game, you never own a copy of any kind, and devs don't lose money. Gameplay vids may actually get people to buy games.
---
The night is turning thin. The saint is turning to sin.
http://i.imgur.com/SEj3OoR.gif