Why is Destiny's DLC so expensive?

#1SheepinatorPosted 7/9/2014 8:24:52 AM
2 expansions value $35 they say, which means likely $20 each priced separately.

When Borderlands 2 came out, they sold a Season Pass for 4 expansions valued at $30, and priced at $10 separately. They also promised that content within 9 months of game release, while Bungie gave no hint of when their pre-paid content might surface. BL2's DLC was all good, especially Tiny Tina's.

So the Destiny DLC's are double the price and with no deadline. Why the price increase compared to peer games? And if this is all good with gamers, then won't the other publishers naturally follow this lead and increase their prices from $10 to $15, and $15 to $20?
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#2ScaryLlamaPosted 7/9/2014 8:27:47 AM
Typically, "expansions" are usually quite big. I always figured microstransactions < DLC < expansions as far as size and price is concerned. I assume the Destiny expansions will give a lot of stuff? I'm not sure how Activision is going to play it though.
---
PSN: ScaryLlama \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Steam:Scary_Llama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCrM1_7wnDU
#3RyuuHou25Posted 7/9/2014 8:30:44 AM(edited)
Holy christ, you're still on this? Wasn't bad enough you went to multiple topics rambling on about this, was it?

Like other people have told you, we have no clue what is going to be included in the expansions. Given they could be 20 dollars each, I would imagine it will be far more than the Borderlands ones which basically just included an extra map and missions within that map as well as more weapons.

As for the "deadline" thing, considering they haven't actually CONFIRMED a damn thing about pricing yet, it's not exactly odd that there is no date yet.

"The expansion packs are included in the “Destiny” Expansion Pass. There’s no announcement from Activision yet on how much this pass will cost, but it should be in the $40 to $50 range based on the $99.99 price of the “Destiny” Limited Edition. There’s also no mention on if the expansions will be sold separately or if they will be a timed Playstation exclusive."

This could also mean that there are likely MORE DLC packs that they simply haven't announced included in said Expansion Pass. Which is also not uncommon.

So get the f*** over it already.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
This is what you sound like to me when you ask something obvious/staring you in the face - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqz_tbBr2ts
#4Sheepinator(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2014 8:37:17 AM
If you look at the BL2 news when their Pass was announced, it was reported variously as "campaign add-ons", "expansions" and "DLC". It's just a label. I don't think there's any set definition of what the difference is between them, other than of course DLC can include anything and be as small as a weapon skin.

RyuuHou25 posted...
Like other people have told you, we have no clue what is going to be included in the expansions. Given they could be 20 dollars each, I would imagine it will be far more than the Borderlands ones which basically just included an extra map and missions within that map as well as more weapons.

As for the "deadline" thing, considering they haven't actually CONFIRMED a damn thing about pricing yet, it's not exactly odd that there is no date yet.

You're wrong about not knowing that the Destiny content is. We just don't know if it's worth twice as much as BL2's.

You're wrong about BL2's content being one map.

You're wrong about the pricing not being confirmed. They said "value $35", so it's a safe bet that's a discount to the separate pricing. You know, common sense.
---
#5SythisTaruPosted 7/9/2014 8:42:25 AM
Sheepinator posted...
2 expansions value $35 they say, which means likely $20 each priced separately.

When Borderlands 2 came out, they sold a Season Pass for 4 expansions valued at $30, and priced at $10 separately. They also promised that content within 9 months of game release, while Bungie gave no hint of when their pre-paid content might surface. BL2's DLC was all good, especially Tiny Tina's.

So the Destiny DLC's are double the price and with no deadline. Why the price increase compared to peer games? And if this is all good with gamers, then won't the other publishers naturally follow this lead and increase their prices from $10 to $15, and $15 to $20?

WoW's new expansion is 49.99
#6BambooPandamoPosted 7/9/2014 8:45:55 AM
>Game isn't released
>No one is troubled by EXPANSION PACK AND DLC being announced before the game is out

I am so glad I'm not partaking in this generation.
---
This is what a daily topic on NeoGAF looks like
http://i.imgur.com/CkLM3tw.jpg
#7RyuuHou25Posted 7/9/2014 8:46:39 AM
Really, because I have all the BL2 expansions. Each one is one map. They're generally fairly huge maps, but they're still one map.

Really, mind informing me what the Destiny content is then? Specifically?
---
This is what you sound like to me when you ask something obvious/staring you in the face - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqz_tbBr2ts
#8Maverick_ReznorPosted 7/9/2014 8:50:57 AM
BambooPandamo posted...
>Game isn't released
>No one is troubled by EXPANSION PACK AND DLC being announced before the game is out

I am so glad I'm not partaking in this generation.

They announced that they planned to support their game for a most of this gen before the games release.
---
Currently Playing : Shovel Knight, Chrono Trigger and KoF 13
Looking Forward To: Destiny, Smash Bros, The Order 1886, and ScaleBound
#9Sheepinator(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2014 8:53:10 AM(edited)
RyuuHou25 posted...
we have no clue what is going to be included in the expansions

As announced yesterday:

upcoming Destiny expansions "The Dark Below" and "House of Wolves" (each of which includes new Story missions, cooperative and competitive multiplayer arenas, and a "wealth" of new weapons, armor, and gear)

So we know what it is, we don't know if it's worth twice as much as BL2's, for example.
---
#10RyuuHou25Posted 7/9/2014 8:54:00 AM
Sheepinator posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
we have no clue what is going to be included in the expansions

As announced yesterday:

upcoming Destiny expansions "The Dark Below" and "House of Wolves" (each of which includes new Story missions, cooperative and competitive multiplayer arenas, and a "wealth" of new weapons, armor, and gear)

So in other words, you have no specifics. You don't really know how many story missions, how many arenas, or how many weapons/armor and gear. Yet you're sitting here b****** about how it costs more than BL2 expansions.

Could very well include more missions/MP maps/armor/weapons than a singular BL2 expansion, hell it could include more than 2 BL2 expansions.

Hence my point. You're making a huge issue over something you know squat all about so far. So get the f*** over it already.
---