Do you think the PS4 can reach PS2 lifetime sale numbers?

#41Agent101cPosted 7/12/2014 1:54:32 PM
Yes.

Why? Because modern console lifespans are easily double what they used to be back in the PS2 days. Even if it sells less per year, we're not gonna see a new generation past PS4/XB1 for like, eight years. We got plenty of time left my homeskillet.

Remember, I'm an adult. I'm not part of your system. I threw it on the ground.
---
My lazy cat:
http://postimg.org/image/ze87msosz/
#42Lelouch71Posted 7/12/2014 2:18:16 PM
I don't see it happening. At best it might match the PS3 LTD overall but I doubt even that will happen. It will be a long time before there is another system that sell as well as the DS and PS2. The PS2 had little to no competition on all sides. The PS4 has the X1 as a threat for third party games, smart phones for the casual audience, and handhelds. Consoles are practically a niche in Japan. Then there are of course PC. Gaming is a lot different now compare to the PS2 days.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#43IroncondorzPosted 7/12/2014 2:32:23 PM
It won't and I don't even think Sony will try to. Sony wants PS Now to be available on all sorts of things like TVs and tablets, so that alone will limit PS4 sales since you won't even need a console to play the same games.
#44JohnHitman47Posted 7/12/2014 2:35:01 PM
Yes.
Why? there its no competition on the console departament.
---
TLOU best game on PS3 coming to PS4 a dream come true.
#45gildedgirthPosted 7/12/2014 5:41:14 PM
Agent101c posted...
Yes.

Why? Because modern console lifespans are easily double what they used to be back in the PS2 days. Even if it sells less per year, we're not gonna see a new generation past PS4/XB1 for like, eight years. We got plenty of time left my homeskillet.

Yeah, I agree with this. it won't sell AS FAST as the PS2, but it'll stay current for much much longer, so it'll have a longer lifespan, and more time to sell PS4s.

Plus, the PS4 has more markets to sell in, than the PS4, so with China and other countries, now able to buy consoles (unlike when the PS2 was around), it has a bigger potential audience.
#46Lelouch71Posted 7/12/2014 8:29:12 PM
gildedgirth posted...
Agent101c posted...
Yes.

Yeah, I agree with this. it won't sell AS FAST as the PS2, but it'll stay current for much much longer, so it'll have a longer lifespan, and more time to sell PS4s.

Plus, the PS4 has more markets to sell in, than the PS4, so with China and other countries, now able to buy consoles (unlike when the PS2 was around), it has a bigger potential audience.

Both of you aren't even making any sense. The PS3 is 8 years old and it's not even close to the PS2 level. Sony will support the PS4 for 10+ years but they already stated that they don't intend on letting the PS4 last as long as the PS3 before releasing a successor.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#47PS4isallihavePosted 7/13/2014 12:36:23 AM
Extreme_light posted...
PS4isallihave posted...
I doubt it. Too much competition

... Have you seen the competition lol?

Xbox trailing behind with 4-5 million while the PS4 is the fastest selling console ever at 9 million. The only thing that can stop the PS4 momentum is another powerful console entering the game or Nintendo announcing a innovation console that surpasses PS4 within the next 3-4 years.

You're not seeing the whole picture. It's not just consoles. Tablets, smartphone and PC crowd don't see any use for a console when they may have in the past. Will the PS4 dominate this gen? Very likely, but it won't approach PS2 numbers.
#48BloodyBoogerPosted 7/13/2014 1:05:49 AM
Extreme_light posted...
PS4isallihave posted...
I doubt it. Too much competition

... Have you seen the competition lol?

Xbox trailing behind with 4-5 million while the PS4 is the fastest selling console ever at 9 million. The only thing that can stop the PS4 momentum is another powerful console entering the game or Nintendo announcing a innovation console that surpasses PS4 within the next 3-4 years.

so nintendo is dropping the wii u? that wouldn't surprise me, such a failure of a system.
---
proud supporter of xbox
"Purple is a fruit" -Homer Simpson
#49SabramPosted 7/13/2014 3:28:36 AM
I think it's very possible for it to happen for one very simple reason. the PS4 is going to be the first Sony console made officially available in China.

China is a massive untapped market for this kind of thing. if we go percentage wise for population to console sales, the PS3 sold about 28.5 million units in the US. That's a touch over 9% of the population. Let's take that 9% then and apply it to China's population as well. That's about 122 million right there. So honestly with 122 million potential sales in China based on trends and population, it would be EASY to surpass PS2 numbers. Even if that estimate is way off and only half that number buy the system in China, that's still another 61m units to count that could not be counted before.
---
Dark Souls 2 + Dragon's Crown crossover game needs to happen.
PSN: Sabram - NNID: Sabram - Gamertag: Sabram
#50_RMT_Posted 7/13/2014 3:35:07 AM
considering the ps2 had no competition, probably not.
---
http://i.imgur.com/PgSMGg8.jpg
http://psnprofiles.com/TYruler50