Do you think the PS4 can reach PS2 lifetime sale numbers?

#51Altair001Posted 7/13/2014 3:58:19 AM
KungFuPhil posted...
It's not going to happen. The reason the PS2 took off was because of the included DVD playback. The PS2 wasn't just a great gaming machine, but it was a relatively inexpensive DVD player.

I never understood this reasoning. Mostly because DVD players were around $100 by the end of 2000. So how was PS2 a cheap DVD player if it cost $300 at the time?
Not to mention it sold like 50 million units after PS3 and Blu-ray players were on the market.

I'm starting to think this whole reason for the PS2s success got started by someone who didn't look up any facts and then people just started saying it all over the internet without checking like they do with most things.
#52KAMMYqueenPosted 7/13/2014 4:32:50 AM
Lol no not at all, people buy system for games. It's already happening in Japan. It's only a matter of time before the hype die out, and I can't wait to hear the excuses about the sales then
---
It's times for a Revolution, my kids KAMMY KOOPA should be in Super Smash Bros 4.
#53knightimexPosted 7/13/2014 4:37:23 AM
The real question is, does it actually need to?
I don't think so.
---
My "NEW" favorite sig!
http://dagobah.net/flash/successful_troll_2.swf
#54blackwaltz3Posted 7/13/2014 5:35:30 AM
Possible? Yes

Will it happen? Highly doubtful
---
Trying is the first step towards failure.
PSN ID: Nieds; 3DS FC: 2964-9868-5857
#55DK DeathKnightPosted 7/13/2014 8:33:15 AM
Nah , console gaming isint as high as it used to be. Its going to be difficult if Japan doesent want to help pull the weight anymore.
---
PSN: CrowsZero_
Playing: Battlefield 4, Knack, Persona 4 Golden, Tomb Raider
#56Extreme_lightPosted 7/13/2014 8:39:08 AM
PS4isallihave posted...
Extreme_light posted...
PS4isallihave posted...
I doubt it. Too much competition

... Have you seen the competition lol?

Xbox trailing behind with 4-5 million while the PS4 is the fastest selling console ever at 9 million. The only thing that can stop the PS4 momentum is another powerful console entering the game or Nintendo announcing a innovation console that surpasses PS4 within the next 3-4 years.

You're not seeing the whole picture. It's not just consoles. Tablets, smartphone and PC crowd don't see any use for a console when they may have in the past. Will the PS4 dominate this gen? Very likely, but it won't approach PS2 numbers.

Most of those people who only focus on mobile probably weren't console gamers in the first place. And the PC crowd only captured some of the consoles folks, but many of them still own a console. Not a very large competition. Would certainly shake the market up this gen compared to the previous. But the consoles are a real concreted market in the West. Japan and other countries focusing more on mobile would hurt PS4 chanced though.
---
"The world we purport to know is ever changing, ending as we speak."
Everytime I hear weeaboo, I keep thinking of the song "Bugaboo"
#57twinspectrePosted 7/13/2014 8:41:47 AM
sale , sale , sale and SALE
stop being stupid you will never see a penny ,instead of Sale why don't people start asking for Better games ?
well i would like to see NES till PS2 gameplay (nohandholding , no RegenHealth , no Dumbed Down gameplay , no Waypoints , no Linear Games , No Cinematic Experience) and NO DLC , NO MICROTRANSACTION , NO DAY1 UPDATE , no BROKEN GAMES , no BS

START BEING SMART THANKS
---
My PSN : twinspectre and My 3DS friendcode : 5472-8257-3365
HARDCORE GAMERS MASTER RACE
#58FallenTrepiePosted 7/13/2014 8:57:25 AM
Eoin posted...
There's a number of factors that will almost certainly prevent the PS4 from reaching the sales of the PS2.

1. No equivalent to the DVD player advantage that the PS2 had. This has been mentioned many times already in this topic and is well understood, so I won't go into any more details.

2. Price. Sony tightly controlled almost every aspect of the PS2's design themselves, and were able to get it down to very low prices. With the PS4, Sony aren't manufacturing very many of the components, and there's more components involved. They won't be selling the PS4 for US$99, ever. (The PS3 has a similar issue).

3. Competition. During most of the PS2's life, the tech world was very different. PCs were much less popular gaming machines. Microsoft had a niche console. Handhelds were reaching for the giddy heights of being approximately equivalent to the SNES. Mobile phones played monochrome Java games.

The PS4's world is not like that. It has competition from many machines outside of just the console industry. The PC games market is at its strongest ever point. Microsoft have shown that they can sell consoles in large numbers (even if they are so far not following up on that ability properly). Mobile phones and tablets (and microconsoles based on the same chips) are powerful, ubiquitous, and well-supported. The PS4 faces more of a challenge, from more angles, than the PS2 ever did.

4. Exclusives. The PS2's generation was the last time when developers were happy to make exclusive games - they could make a PS2 game and cover ~90% of the console market, and consider ports to other machines later. Most games defaulted to PS2 exclusivity. This will not happen to the PS4. It will of course have exclusives (and timed exclusives and exclusive DLC and so forth), but the majority of big games will appear on Xbox One as well.

5. The Japanese market. The PS2 was the last console to sell gigantic numbers in Japan. It sold just over 23m. The Wii sold just under 13m. The PS3 sold 10m. Console sales are trending badly down (and even handheld sales are suffering). It would be a big surprise if the PS4 could match the PS3 in Japan, and that means a 13m disadvantage compared to the PS2.

The PS4 is selling in immense numbers. It is clearly going to sell well. If there were only one or two of those factors standing in its way, it might even beat the PS2. However, the combination of all of those factors will probably mean lifetime sales that are notably below PS2 levels.

Anyone who claims that the PS4 will reach the PS2's lifetime sales numbers really needs to read the above. These are the reasons it won't. It will very likely be the most successful console this generation, but there's no chance it will surpass the PS2.
---
PSN: TrepieOmega
#59twinspectrePosted 7/13/2014 9:02:46 AM(edited)
FallenTrepie posted...
Eoin posted...
There's a number of factors that will almost certainly prevent the PS4 from reaching the sales of the PS2.

1. No equivalent to the DVD player advantage that the PS2 had. This has been mentioned many times already in this topic and is well understood, so I won't go into any more details.

2. Price. Sony tightly controlled almost every aspect of the PS2's design themselves, and were able to get it down to very low prices. With the PS4, Sony aren't manufacturing very many of the components, and there's more components involved. They won't be selling the PS4 for US$99, ever. (The PS3 has a similar issue).

3. Competition. During most of the PS2's life, the tech world was very different. PCs were much less popular gaming machines. Microsoft had a niche console. Handhelds were reaching for the giddy heights of being approximately equivalent to the SNES. Mobile phones played monochrome Java games.

The PS4's world is not like that. It has competition from many machines outside of just the console industry. The PC games market is at its strongest ever point. Microsoft have shown that they can sell consoles in large numbers (even if they are so far not following up on that ability properly). Mobile phones and tablets (and microconsoles based on the same chips) are powerful, ubiquitous, and well-supported. The PS4 faces more of a challenge, from more angles, than the PS2 ever did.

4. Exclusives. The PS2's generation was the last time when developers were happy to make exclusive games - they could make a PS2 game and cover ~90% of the console market, and consider ports to other machines later. Most games defaulted to PS2 exclusivity. This will not happen to the PS4. It will of course have exclusives (and timed exclusives and exclusive DLC and so forth), but the majority of big games will appear on Xbox One as well.

5. The Japanese market. The PS2 was the last console to sell gigantic numbers in Japan. It sold just over 23m. The Wii sold just under 13m. The PS3 sold 10m. Console sales are trending badly down (and even handheld sales are suffering). It would be a big surprise if the PS4 could match the PS3 in Japan, and that means a 13m disadvantage compared to the PS2.

The PS4 is selling in immense numbers. It is clearly going to sell well. If there were only one or two of those factors standing in its way, it might even beat the PS2. However, the combination of all of those factors will probably mean lifetime sales that are notably below PS2 levels.

Anyone who claims that the PS4 will reach the PS2's lifetime sales numbers really needs to read the above. These are the reasons it won't. It will very likely be the most successful console this generation, but there's no chance it will surpass the PS2.

well , that's because PS2 had Hardcore gamers , now moderngaming is all about Casual and it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach PS2 numbers they need to make games for Hardcore Gamers

because Wii was made for Casual and the numbers didn't reach PS2 sale (people use your Logic sometimes) they need to focus on Hardcore Gamers by bringing Hardcore GAMES (noHandholding,noRegenHealth,noWaypoints,Challenging games,noLinearGames,noCinematic Experience,noDumbed Down games for Casuals well you get the point)

p.s i don't care about Sales , since Sony , Microsoft and Nintendo don't care about Hardcore gamers
---
My PSN : twinspectre and My 3DS friendcode : 5472-8257-3365
HARDCORE GAMERS MASTER RACE
#60FallenTrepiePosted 7/13/2014 10:00:41 AM
twinspectre posted...
well , that's because PS2 had Hardcore gamers , now moderngaming is all about Casual and it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach PS2 numbers they need to make games for Hardcore Gamers

because Wii was made for Casual and the numbers didn't reach PS2 sale (people use your Logic sometimes) they need to focus on Hardcore Gamers by bringing Hardcore GAMES (noHandholding,noRegenHealth,noWaypoints,Challenging games,noLinearGames,noCinematic Experience,noDumbed Down games for Casuals well you get the point)

p.s i don't care about Sales , since Sony , Microsoft and Nintendo don't care about Hardcore gamers

Yeah, the only reason the PS2 had such higher sales numbers is because it garnered support from both the casual and hardcore crowds. The Wii lacked hardcore support, every other console has lacked casual support (Microsoft and Sony tried with the 360/PS3, but Microsoft's Kinect got a much smaller percentage of casual support than the Wii did, and Sony never got any casual support outside of marketing the PS3 as a blu-ray player very early on).

The thing you're missing here though is that the hardcore crowd is already on the PS4. If they're really going to succeed in surpassing the PS2, they need casual support. And most of us would rather they not start marketing to casuals again. That doesn't go well for anyone.
---
PSN: TrepieOmega