is this type of game plausible

#1humptyrumpPosted 7/14/2014 4:21:29 PM
i was thinking about possible settings they could use for the next grand theft auto and it hit me that it would be really cool to see the entire united states represented. obviously, it would have to be designed to fit inside of a video game and easily travel across, but it would be cool to see if you could travel across the entire continental united states, and maybe some of canada and mexico.

do you think we have the technology to create such a large world? and would developers be willing to do?
#2LovecraftiangodPosted 7/14/2014 4:26:19 PM
No it's not. Doing a space equivalent to 30 square miles is taxing so doing the entire united States is impossible
---
PSN kolobos212 The time has come when the normal revolt against time,space, and matter H.P. Lovecraft
#3_decitronPosted 7/14/2014 4:26:43 PM
think about how much boring space there is between stuff. think about how boring it is just to drive to the grocery store.

its a bad concept.
#4ninebreaker47Posted 7/14/2014 4:28:13 PM(edited)
Sounds too extreme. I don't know about all of that being feasible... Ever.
---
"No matter how dark the night, morning always comes, and our journey begins anew." Posted using GameFlux
#5Mabus51Posted 7/14/2014 4:48:19 PM
In terms of budget. No it can't be done with a reasonable budget. GTA V already was $250 million and five years of development time.

In terms of resources, let's say you made every state the size of GTA V at PS3 quality. It would still be about 36 Blu-ray Discs. That's a lot of loading and disc swapping. Let's not forget the quality of each city. It would have to be done procedurally, because it would take to many people to go for authenticity.

People would then complain that the missions and NPCs are too similar for each city.
#6mjc0961Posted 7/14/2014 4:48:52 PM
GTA V was already a hot mess starting a mission only to drive halfway or more across the map just to get to the bit where you actually play the mission. Making the map even bigger just worsens that problem.

Bigger is not always better in a sandbox game, unless they make getting around fun like in Saints Row 4. Mindless driving? No thanks, I might as well be playing Gran Forza.
---
AnthonM2 posted...
BTW I don't see The Last of Us as a western game because many asians worked with Naughty Dog on the game
#7knightimexPosted 7/14/2014 4:50:39 PM
Insert Blu Ray Disc 7 for Denver Colorado.

No thanks.
---
My "NEW" favorite sig!
http://dagobah.net/flash/successful_troll_2.swf
#8ninebreaker47Posted 7/14/2014 4:54:08 PM
Lol, never mind the cost of a game that needed 36 blu-ray discs to run.

GTA: "X"

SRP: $179.99
---
"No matter how dark the night, morning always comes, and our journey begins anew." Posted using GameFlux
#9digger2003Posted 7/14/2014 4:55:53 PM(edited)
Even The Crew's map of the entire US, is only really 0.5% of the actual size in real life.

There are games that do map the entire US (and the whole world for that matter), such as MS Flight Simulator. But while those maps are fine when you are flying 30,000 ft in the air, they would be pretty boring to be walking around and exploring.
#10MelenatorPosted 7/14/2014 4:56:09 PM
They could do regions. But even that would come at a cost as said above.
---
PSN:MynameiswaytoolongtoreadAreyousstilltryingtoreadthis?