Dragon Age and Last of Us are the new Final Fantasy and Resident Evil

#1symachPosted 8/3/2014 10:34:01 AM
Japan is really dropping the ball, western devs surpassing em in every genera. When are they going to get with the program and stop using decade old game design and B level voice actors and writers? Makes you wonder if they will hold on to their antiquated ways until they are all bankrupt. Cough.. Capcom.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.14
#2Christopher BelmontPosted 8/3/2014 10:35:04 AM
Well when Last of Us 6 comes out, we'll see if Naughty Dog still has fresh ideas...
---
When the going gets tough, kick going in the balls!
#3symach(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 10:38:47 AM
Quote:Well when Last of Us 6 comes out, we'll see if Naughty Dog still has fresh ideas...
---

@Christopher Belmont

The Last of us SHOULD have been Capcoms idea. Just played through it and it feels like an evolution of gameplay, story, and maturity that RE should have slipped into. Hell Capcom has been doing zombies since 1995 and ND walks right in as a newcomer and out does them.
---
#4Video_Game_CzarPosted 8/3/2014 10:40:20 AM
TC should be working for Kotaku.
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l Steam: VideoGameCzar l FC: 0146-9981-6140 I
#5symach(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 10:40:46 AM
Quote:Well when Last of Us 6 comes out, we'll see if Naughty Dog still has fresh ideas...
---

@Christopher Belmont

Plus, fresh ideas really have nothing to do with B level voice acting and writing. What was the last FF that actually made sense? How about the little Napoleon dude from RE4, now there's some fine voice acting and writing.
---
#6atma6Posted 8/3/2014 11:15:22 AM
symach posted...
---

@Christopher Belmont

The Last of us SHOULD have been Capcoms idea. Just played through it and it feels like an evolution of gameplay, story, and maturity that RE should have slipped into. Hell Capcom has been doing zombies since 1995 and ND walks right in as a newcomer and out does them.

Having infected/zombies does not make it even slightly similar to Resident Evil. The Last of Us is primarily a stealth game. No Resident Evil game has emphasized stealth as a core element. Seriously, RE has always been a campy action game, even when it was hardcore survival horror. If anything, RE needs to start taking itself less seriously considering the madness that occurs in that series. The Last of Us was about deep characterization. No Resident Evil has ever focused on characterization above gameplay.
---
Mistranslations for the Modern Gamer
http://mistranslationsforthemoderngamer.wordpress.com
#7symach(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 11:27:10 AM
I don't think it's because they don't want deep characterization, I think is because Japanese companies seem intent on only hiring B level voice and writing talent.
---
#8atma6Posted 8/3/2014 11:31:24 AM
symach posted...
I don't think it's because they don't want deep characterization, I think is because Japanese companies seem intent on only hiring B level voice and writing talent.

It's a style. Capcom tends to make games with ridiculous plots and characters. Other companies try for gritty realism. Capcom's hired plenty of talent in the past, but the style they tend to go with, generally is markedly different. I for one enjoy both.
---
Mistranslations for the Modern Gamer
http://mistranslationsforthemoderngamer.wordpress.com
#9GiSS88Posted 8/3/2014 11:31:45 AM
I hate to say it, but RE needs to be rebooted in some way. I typically don't like reboots as I feel it is a cop-out and way to stop developing beloved characters and ideas, but RE just went in an awful direction. I was OK with RE4 even though it left some of the survival horror behind, but RE5/6 were just terrible (Leon's campaign being just OK in RE6).

I wouldn't mind if they tried to keep the same characters/personas, but Capcom should try to go back to being survival horror. REmake was phenomenal, and I wouldn't even mind seeing third person style but with items/ammo/etc being rare like it can be in TLOU on higher difficulties.
---
PSN: NoJ87
3DS: 3995-6590-2490 *PM if you add me // PokemonY, Gabite/Sliggo/Dragonair Safari
#10UniversquallPosted 8/3/2014 11:50:33 AM
Dragon Age 2. Final Fantasy 2. I see what you did there.
---
After The Fallout. Beyond Rapture. Believe In the Fireflies
Control The Past. Save The Future.