Always online? Not so fast!

#1sk4ndalousPosted 4/10/2013 9:50:44 PM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/400389/durango-always-online-not-required-360-bc-provided-via-add-on-report/

RIGHT ON MICROSOFT!!!!!!

no sarcasm, this is great news
#2HoosierGuy88Posted 4/10/2013 9:55:56 PM
Just another rumor. It seems likely to be true, since I don't think Microsoft wants to screw themselves over by making their console always online. We shall see.
#3SazukeEXPosted 4/11/2013 1:09:16 AM
So.

To have BC you must separately buy their new XBox 360 add on, eh?

I will not be convinced one way or another on whether they're really doing always online or not until the Nextbox is officially revealed and M$ confirms or denies it themselves.
---
Hector x Farina - OTP of FE.
#4HoosierGuy88Posted 4/11/2013 2:15:41 AM
SazukeEX posted...
So.

To have BC you must separately buy their new XBox 360 add on, eh?

Yeah, if this is true, they're basically just saying, "you want backwards compatibility? Well then you have to buy a 360." lol
#5HughJorgennPosted 4/11/2013 2:47:05 AM
sk4ndalous posted...
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/400389/durango-always-online-not-required-360-bc-provided-via-add-on-report/

RIGHT ON MICROSOFT!!!!!!

no sarcasm, this is great news

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-720/65927032
#6TRC-G00SEPosted 4/11/2013 6:06:36 AM
I have enough room to just keep my 360 hooked up to my tv instead of buying their add on.

I always pictured the "always online" thing to be mainly for downloading updated or pre paid DLC and the like. I believe ps3 has that option or something like it. People tend to panic and jump ship without facts from MS. I really dont think MS is that stupid to reguore internet to play. Have to wait and see.
---
****!
#7DiScOrD tHe LuNaTiCPosted 4/11/2013 9:04:50 AM
gousset22 posted...
I have enough room to just keep my 360 hooked up to my tv instead of buying their add on.

I always pictured the "always online" thing to be mainly for downloading updated or pre paid DLC and the like. I believe ps3 has that option or something like it. People tend to panic and jump ship without facts from MS. I really dont think MS is that stupid to reguore internet to play. Have to wait and see.

I have enough room too. I have a large entertainment center that has...hell, here's an ASCII.(ignore the dots)

............................. ____
..............................|____|
_____________|____|
|..............................|.........|
|_____________|____|

Okay, obviously it's all straight instead of wavy like that(it also had a top and a left-side shelf before I sawed them off to make room for my HDTV), but in the right side rack I have, top to bottom:

- a receiver(on top)
- my original Xbox(first shelf)
- my PS2(2nd shelf)
- my DVR(3rd shelf)
- my Blu-Ray player(4th shelf)
- my no-longer-working-but-I-haven't-trashed-it-yet 5-disc CD player(fifth shelf)
Then in the long bottom section on the left I have my 360 sitting in the large open space there along with some DVDs and games(I keep my window open a lot for outside air; cool air = free cooling for 360)

As evidenced by my still having my OG Xbox hooked up, the 720/Durango's lack of BC isn't make-or-break for me. I'll just leave my 360 hooked up -- probably where my CD player is/was -- and have the D720 sitting near the floor.
---
"It's not about money, it's about sending a message. Everything burns."
#8Darkest_EvilPosted 4/11/2013 9:26:35 AM
not everyone can afford unlimited bandwidth or afford the costs with their provider
being always on also decreases the lifespan of a system and lack of cool down it will need to
---
http://castleminerz.freeforums.org/index.php
#9guitarist1980Posted 4/12/2013 7:04:05 PM
Supposedly what I heard is that even in sleep mode the 720 will be able to update services and games. My 360 is always connected and so will my 720 and as long as I do not need a constant internet connection to play single player games, there is absolutely no difference except for a more powerful console that will offer more features. My question is can I hook up my current xbox 360 slim to the 720 and use that has a set top box. Or do I have to sell my current slim and then rebuy there mini version. I would love not having to use the crappy UI interface that Comcast offers with there dated hardware... its slow and buggy. If my current 360 could in some way bypass the crap from Comcast that would be a reason to keep my current console. I am not to concerned about backwards compatibility to be honest. If I wasn't a PC gamer mostly I might care a little more. I just hope these consoles offer enough power for developers to knock are socks off. At first glance I am skeptical that this is a big enough leap forward.
#10richdmoorePosted 4/12/2013 8:09:45 PM
All rumor of course, but the original article says that the non-mini Xbox does not have the connections needed to make it work with the new console. You would have to replace your slim version with the new one, if that is true.