I have a naive reason for wanting to buy this....

#11EoinPosted 4/14/2013 1:50:14 AM
ExtremelyFatGuy posted...
I meant the mentality behind it, not where it is physically made.

I'm unsure how you think you've been able to determine the "mentality" behind the next Xbox.

Suibom posted...
While that's true, the third party support does tend to land Xbox more heavily on the West side of games, while the PS3 is much more supported by the East.

I can't think of too many high-profile Western games that didn't land on the PS3, or too many high-profile Eastern games that didn't land on the Xbox 360. For most of the ones that do exist, there are counter-examples on the other side.
#12SuibomPosted 4/14/2013 2:18:24 AM
High profile, yes.

But the majority of JRPGs, for example, are Sony exclusives. The majority of WRPGs are on Xbox.

That's all I meant.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#13AlphrinPosted 4/14/2013 6:00:13 AM(edited)
Alphrin posted...
Why not get a 360, then? It'll satisfy your craving for an American console, it already has an established library, and it's less expensive.

Doesn't have anything I want. Too many dark and overly violent titles. Don't care about online either.

But that's part of the western attitude towards gaming. Bright, colorful games are usually the japanese ones (not that there aren't colorful western games, and the 360 has a few of those).

Nextbox will likely have the same ratio of dark/violent games to light/non-violent games as the 360 does.
---
I've decided not to have a signature.
#14ExtremelyFatGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 1:22:59 PM
Yes, Japanese games are colorful but they never change. The same game you played 20 years ago you are playing now. I'd rather see Americans make games like that because America is the land of endless possibility and in Japan things don't change much. Americans make all sorts of movies and music, why should our games be limired to mostly adrenaline pumping young males? Isn't it time to expand our horizons?
#15AlphrinPosted 4/14/2013 7:08:35 PM
Yes, Japanese games are colorful but they never change. The same game you played 20 years ago you are playing now. I'd rather see Americans make games like that because America is the land of endless possibility and in Japan things don't change much. Americans make all sorts of movies and music, why should our games be limired to mostly adrenaline pumping young males? Isn't it time to expand our horizons?

I disagree with the first part of your post. There was nothing like Super Mario Galaxy, Katamari Damacy, Bayonetta, Okami, and many other Japanese games 20 years ago.

I agree that western gaming should be more diverse, but I doubt it will be. Western audiences are the ones who will stick with a single multiplayer game for years at a time (be it Call of Duty or World of Warcraft), discouraging innovation.

Just look at the colorful, creatively designed western games this gen had (the pre-kinect Rare games, the Ratchet and Clank games, de Blob, Ray-man, Jett Rocket, Explosion Man, The Maw, etc.) and how much they were overshadowed by the gritty, pseudo-realistic games (not that I'm saying the gritty games are bad, just that they are more popular to western audiences).
---
I've decided not to have a signature.
#16YukitoRamboPosted 4/15/2013 2:29:32 AM

The funny thing is, I can pick any average Japanese gamer and they will say the same thing about Western games.

The way I see it, both sides have genres that are seemingly repeated endlessly for the mainstream.

Japan: High-school themed dating sims, RPGs featuring teenagers under 18 going against world-class overlords

West: FPS(more recently, military-themed), annual sports games

Since you think this problem is exclusive to Japan only, let me ask you: What about Fatal Frame? Forbidden Siren? Metal Gear Rising? Hell, anything from Suda51?

That's just VERY few examples. All play radically different not just from the mainstream, but from each other. If there's any problem with the variety of games, it would be because your local store's library suckz azz.
---
"...Winning is of little consequence. What's important is communicating through one's fists."
GFWL tag: DoraemonJerlun
#17ExtremelyFatGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 6:08:34 PM
You all have made some good points. I might end up getting a 360 after all, especially since I'm not really into online play so it doesn't matter if the system is outdated.
#18ExtremelyFatGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2013 1:29:21 AM
BTW I am not "craving" an American console. I just simply appreciate the two different perspectives.
#19YukitoRamboPosted 4/16/2013 2:43:55 AM
You all have made some good points. I might end up getting a 360 after all, especially since I'm not really into online play so it doesn't matter if the system is outdated.

I might have skipped this gen's consoles, but I think it's a good thing for any real gamer if he can buy and enjoy any games on any platform from either side of the Pacific. If buying 360 means you're only going to broaden your horizons(instead of just switching sides to WESTERN GAEMZ BECAUSE JAP GAMES ARE BECOMING ****), then I applaud you for that decision.
---
"...Winning is of little consequence. What's important is communicating through one's fists."
GFWL tag: DoraemonJerlun