What made the "always online" topics pick back up?

#21MoegittoPosted 5/2/2013 3:44:47 PM
I've told three Gamestops and many friends that I will be sitting outside with my phone. My thumb will be on the camera button, just waiting for people to walk outside the store with their new Xbox 720/Durango/Xbox 3. Those pictures will be online quickly, people are armed with all of this information and they still will walk into a **** storm.

It's not the fact that they have always online implemented, it's the fact that they hid it then backtracked with the "it's not as bad as you think" excuse. Most people do play online all the times anyway so I understand that part, but there are so many games that you can have on stand by to play when the internet goes out because of any one of the many reasons that would cause it to go out. You're basically telling me that if my ISP goes down for maintenance or because of a storm I can't play the campaign on any of the games I bought...
---
Everyone on GameFaqs pretty much is a troll. This site honestly has the WORST user base I have ever seen. -Tuggboat1121
#22chareyPosted 5/2/2013 4:23:40 PM
Moegitto posted...
I've told three Gamestops and many friends that I will be sitting outside with my phone. My thumb will be on the camera button, just waiting for people to walk outside the store with their new Xbox 720/Durango/Xbox 3. Those pictures will be online quickly, people are armed with all of this information and they still will walk into a **** storm.

It's not the fact that they have always online implemented, it's the fact that they hid it then backtracked with the "it's not as bad as you think" excuse. Most people do play online all the times anyway so I understand that part, but there are so many games that you can have on stand by to play when the internet goes out because of any one of the many reasons that would cause it to go out. You're basically telling me that if my ISP goes down for maintenance or because of a storm I can't play the campaign on any of the games I bought...
It doesn't have to be YOUR internet that goes down, if the microsoft servers go down, say from being overloaded from a lot of people going online after they bought a new console, you will not be able to play with your internet working.
---
I won't have it! I'm not having anyone talk about me in
the past tense! ~Squall Leonhart
#23vgsrule(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 9:35:17 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/25/next-xbox-functionality-pricing-reportedly-outed

Thurrott notes that the rumored “always online” functionality of the next Xbox is correct. He notes that “the next Xbox must be Internet-connected to use. This is the source of the ‘always on’/’always online’ rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.

A lot of you seem to be glossing over the second part of his statement. Look up the definition of Draconian lazy bums.
I wished he elaborated on it some more, because saying that the next xbox must be internet-connected to use IS exactly as draconian as we are led to believe.
Either Thurrott didn't realize that he just contradicted himself or he is a firm believer of "dealing with it."

Yeah, this is what I meant. I wanted to know what he means by that.

It's the equivalent of MS shooting themselves in the foot.

I strongly agree with this. If implemented, Microsoft just screwed themselves over. That's not being a fanboy (hate that term), it's just a fact. People won't accept that.

The internet is simply not reliable enough. Your internet goes down, you can't play. The servers go down, you can't play. The company closes, that causes issues.

It's extremely off-putting in the first place, and has no longevity. And it's essentially done for greed, with no real benefit I can think of.

For all these reasons, I strongly believe it won't happen. Microsoft isn't stupid, no company truly is. They wouldn't be around if they were.
---
http://backloggery.com/khff123
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/A_Metal_Pipe