If IGN article turns out true, then new xbox=no buy. EVER.

#1M DAMAGEPosted 4/29/2013 11:22:21 AM(edited)
Always-online DRM in order for the console to even function, windows 8, and MS actually considered a version of the nextbox that does not even play games. Serious lol lol.

No amount of corporate BS spin will work-- always online=total dealbreaker.

I refuse to give my money to any console maker that does this. DRM does not punish pirates, it punishes legal, paying customers. MS knows this already. Which makes me wonder what the real goal of going all control freak on its consumers really is.

Hell, the console will also be able to spy on you through both audio AND video.
#2AceProsecutorPosted 4/29/2013 11:16:17 AM
I agree completely. I will not buy it if it always online. I absolutely will not, that's just unacceptable. Hell, even a computer, a PC, a machine that literally requires internet to use 95% of it's functionality doesn't require internet to play games, so why the hell does a freakin home console?
---
I don't suppose you...want to taste it? Do you? No, of course not, what am I saying...but maybe?
#3Dragoon StarPosted 4/29/2013 11:54:41 AM
Because a console is not a PC. It will always be a closed system that limits options in favor of making the consumer spend more in the long run. Always online is them trying to push consumers into an environment where they force everyone to be monitored and spew their advertisements in your face all the time. It may also limit piracy due to always online. It remains to be seen if used games will be allowed without a fee as well.
---
GameFaqs is NOT the place to go for relationship advice. Nobody here gets any action unless it is their right or left hand. Including me. - Dawn and Dusk
#4AceProsecutorPosted 4/29/2013 11:57:52 AM
Dragoon Star posted...
Because a console is not a PC. It will always be a closed system that limits options in favor of making the consumer spend more in the long run. Always online is them trying to push consumers into an environment where they force everyone to be monitored and spew their advertisements in your face all the time. It may also limit piracy due to always online. It remains to be seen if used games will be allowed without a fee as well.

So that, at the cost of at least half their sales? Yeah, I don't think so. In no way is this a smart business decision.
---
I don't suppose you...want to taste it? Do you? No, of course not, what am I saying...but maybe?
#5Dragoon StarPosted 4/29/2013 12:13:29 PM
They could be just letting the rumors slide only to turn around and say it is false. However they have been informed of the rumors and refused to comment. Why wait so long? Why not just say it is not always online? Honestly who really knows but the PS4 and nextbox look to have the same technical capabilities. Except you will probably have to pay for xbox live again and determine which exclusives fit you best. Microsoft better not shoot themselves in the foot because they should know better at this point especially when you competition is already confirmed for not having always online and offers a free online system that was improved over the years from the PS3.
---
GameFaqs is NOT the place to go for relationship advice. Nobody here gets any action unless it is their right or left hand. Including me. - Dawn and Dusk
#6richboy900Posted 4/29/2013 12:47:10 PM
Probably ms are letting the rumours fly around like you said, and then deny all or most of them to soften the blow if their console is much less powerful than ps4. I reckon they'll do this to counter the ps4s specs/power advantage- of course that's if the rumours are true (it wouldn't suprise me). You can say its smart on their part, or plain dumb but that's my 2 cents.
#7popping4itPosted 4/29/2013 12:52:23 PM
that dude totally screwed ms in terms of messaging. look at valve/steam they have very restrictive drm but they've already won gamers over.
---
whens mahvel?
#895_EclipsePosted 4/29/2013 1:00:00 PM
popping4it posted...
that dude totally screwed ms in terms of messaging. look at valve/steam they have very restrictive drm but they've already won gamers over.

Yeah, PC gamers have ruined it for all of us by accepting all the always online and DRM crap, along with excessive pirating. Its a shame its starting to reach consoles now.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
Always online defenders > http://i.imgur.com/7Bxoy.jpg
#9M DAMAGE(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 1:05:47 PM
you have a misconception about steam-- it DOES have an offline mode and does allow you to play your games offline as long as they have been authenticated once.

In contrast to steam, the IGN article states that the nextbox needs to be online FOR IT TO EVEN FUNCTION.
#10popping4itPosted 4/29/2013 4:17:56 PM
you have a misconception about steam-- it DOES have an offline mode and does allow you to play your games offline as long as they have been authenticated once.

In contrast to steam, the IGN article states that the nextbox needs to be online FOR IT TO EVEN FUNCTION.

IGN is trash and always will be their ps4 info was all over the place

for steam you have to be online first to go into offline mode and whenever you switch between modes you have to sign into steam servers also there are instances where games get flagged for mandatory updates and if you're in offline mode you cant even launch those games while in offline mode. so yah the "offline mode" is a complete joke. but most people dont even bother to see how crappy it is but blindly support valve.

people typically justify valve/steam model due to the occasional cheap game thats months old. most pc games retail for $60 on steam even though you cant resell your games, no physical collectible(even a box), cdkeys, drm.
---
whens mahvel?