If IGN article turns out true, then new xbox=no buy. EVER.

#11CapnStankyPosted 4/29/2013 3:33:34 PM
My PS3 is always online.

Durrrrrrr
---
2013: Next Gen finally arrives. Don't let us down like Nintendo did.
#12Dragoon StarPosted 4/29/2013 9:34:34 PM
popping4it posted...
you have a misconception about steam-- it DOES have an offline mode and does allow you to play your games offline as long as they have been authenticated once.

In contrast to steam, the IGN article states that the nextbox needs to be online FOR IT TO EVEN FUNCTION.

IGN is trash and always will be their ps4 info was all over the place

for steam you have to be online first to go into offline mode and whenever you switch between modes you have to sign into steam servers also there are instances where games get flagged for mandatory updates and if you're in offline mode you cant even launch those games while in offline mode. so yah the "offline mode" is a complete joke. but most people dont even bother to see how crappy it is but blindly support valve.

people typically justify valve/steam model due to the occasional cheap game thats months old. most pc games retail for $60 on steam even though you cant resell your games, no physical collectible(even a box), cdkeys, drm.

Uhhh if steam detects you are not online it auto goes into offline mode and lets you play whatever games you want.
---
GameFaqs is NOT the place to go for relationship advice. Nobody here gets any action unless it is their right or left hand. Including me. - Dawn and Dusk
#13NSGraphitePosted 4/30/2013 3:00:46 AM
My PS3 is always online.

Durrrrrrr

As is mine. But if my internet goes down (as it does, routinely) I want to be able to keep playing my games with no problems. THAT is the issue.
#14FoppePosted 4/30/2013 3:59:01 AM
I always have my consoles connected online, and the times I've lost my Internet connection this generation can be counted on one hand.
As long as the console got enough good games that I'm interested in, then I really don't care that the system must be connected online.
If my Internet would go down... well, I guess I could find something else to do one evening instead of playing games.
Now I know that I'm not alone with these opinions.
...I also know that a Always Online function will hurt the sales. People wont buy it for multiple reasons, everything from pride to the fact that they are still using dial up.
I'll say what I said when OnLive was announced; We lack the broadband infrastructure that's required for something like this to put up a fight against normal consoles.

Microsoft wont die if they include a Always Online function in the Nextbox because it exist enough people that really don't care about it.
The sales will however be a joke compared to the PS4 and Wii U.
I personally don't think that Microsoft is stupid enough to include a Always Online function in the Nextbox, and the company is old enough to de enough research to see that it will hurt their sales.
If it would turn out to be true...
...well, then I really hope that they got a great launch lineup.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#15lelioPosted 4/30/2013 4:24:34 PM
The console being always online isn't in and of itself the issue, but the perception people will have for the real reason for it.

If the user feels there is a trust issue, they will think twice about jumping in. If MS wants the general public to accept always-online, they'll need to convince people that there is valid reason for it. Not just "Well you'd usually have it online anyway". That doesn't justify a need for it.

Given that MS applied for a patent to know how many people are watching something in order to charge per viewer, you can bet there would be a hill to climb for trust.
#16SilencetheDarkPosted 4/30/2013 7:24:40 PM
M DAMAGE posted...
Always-online DRM in order for the console to even function, windows 8, and MS actually considered a version of the nextbox that does not even play games. Serious lol lol.

No amount of corporate BS spin will work-- always online=total dealbreaker.

I refuse to give my money to any console maker that does this. DRM does not punish pirates, it punishes legal, paying customers. MS knows this already. Which makes me wonder what the real goal of going all control freak on its consumers really is.

Hell, the console will also be able to spy on you through both audio AND video.

Didn't you just post this while you were um...online? Hmm...
---
"That Was Too Close...You Were Almost a Jill Sandwich!"
#17NSGraphitePosted 4/30/2013 7:46:53 PM
So, i move into a new house (as im considering now) and am told its going to be a week before the cable company can come out and activate the internet. so now because of microsofts assinine practices, i cant play anyof my games for the whole week?

And lets say they get the internet turned on but it is plagued with problems. the internet goes out regularly. the cabl company comes out and discovers the wiring in the house/apartment is old or shoddy and needs to be completely replaced to fix the issue. so now i cant play (or at least not consistenatly) until the wiring is fixed?

Are people starting to see the potential issues here and why people dont want this feature?

Btw, before someone comes in and says "that would be a pretty rare occurrence" the above example is something that happened to me personally in one of the apartments i stayed in. internet constantly went down and was routinely slow. turned out the wiring was bad and the oners werent in a hurry to fix it. there are tons and tons f old houses and apartments with the same issues. no thank you microsoft. hopefully they wont be dumb enough to implement it...
#18Mr_arizonaPosted 4/30/2013 8:56:43 PM
NSGraphite posted...
So, i move into a new house (as im considering now) and am told its going to be a week before the cable company can come out and activate the internet. so now because of microsofts assinine practices, i cant play anyof my games for the whole week?

And lets say they get the internet turned on but it is plagued with problems. the internet goes out regularly. the cabl company comes out and discovers the wiring in the house/apartment is old or shoddy and needs to be completely replaced to fix the issue. so now i cant play (or at least not consistenatly) until the wiring is fixed?

Are people starting to see the potential issues here and why people dont want this feature?

Btw, before someone comes in and says "that would be a pretty rare occurrence" the above example is something that happened to me personally in one of the apartments i stayed in. internet constantly went down and was routinely slow. turned out the wiring was bad and the oners werent in a hurry to fix it. there are tons and tons f old houses and apartments with the same issues. no thank you microsoft. hopefully they wont be dumb enough to implement it...

I still know a few friends who have never connected their Xboxes to the internet. Also you got to factor kids who live in houses without wireless internet and can't be connecting it to the internet all the time.
---
http://i.imgur.com/HLzCM.gif
http://zorcorner.webs.com/1242909212_sexy_girl_vs_yoga_ball.gif
#19AqouzePosted 5/3/2013 1:51:02 AM
i still believe it just a rumor.
always online option can hurt their sell.
#20reincarnator07Posted 5/3/2013 4:19:19 AM
95_Eclipse posted...
popping4it posted...
that dude totally screwed ms in terms of messaging. look at valve/steam they have very restrictive drm but they've already won gamers over.

Yeah, PC gamers have ruined it for all of us by accepting all the always online and DRM crap, along with excessive pirating. Its a shame its starting to reach consoles now.

Many of us do NOT support the always online DRM. Although Steam is DRM, it is the kind that actually adds functionality. It also functions offline fine if one has played the game at least once while online.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero