Next Xbox grabs a huge exclusive

#1CapnStankyPosted 4/29/2013 2:55:23 PM
For those that don't know, Respawn are the guys that were behind Call of Duty originally.

From Kotaku:

The long-awaited first game from Respawn Entertainment—the studio helmed by the creators of Call of Duty—will be exclusive to the next-gen Xbox, according to two unrelated sources familiar with the game. One of our sources indicates that there will also be an Xbox 360 version, but no versions for rival PlayStation and Nintendo consoles.

Oh, you didn't think the console wars were over, did you?

The new game from Respawn is a futuristic multiplayer-centric online shooter, one of our sources says. The source describes the game as a battle of Davids and Goliaths. The Davids are heavily-armed foot soldiers. The Goliaths are the giant exosekeltons—Titans—that these soldiers can pilot. These Titans are big mech-style walkers that move with an agility not seen in games like Mechwarrior or Steel Battalions.

While the details of the game came to us from one source—a source who is in a good position to know what the deal is with Respawn's game—their assertion that the game is destined only for Microsoft console hardware was consistent with information another source gave us earlier this month. That other source had also told us that Respawn's game would only be for the Xbox brand. It is possible that the game could be a timed exclusive, but neither source indicated that was the case.

An Xbox-only Respawn game would be a coup for Microsoft and a fascinating twist to a number of significant sagas. It has implications for publisher EA's rivalry with Call of Duty publisher Activision; for Microsoft's competition with Sony and, less directly with Nintendo; as well as for the ongoing debate about always-online gaming. Two sources have told us that this new game is, in fact, always-online.
---
2013: Next Gen finally arrives. Don't let us down like Nintendo did.
#2blablablax17Posted 4/29/2013 2:57:47 PM
For those that don't know, Respawn are the guys that were behind Call of Duty originally.

From Kotaku:

The long-awaited first game from Respawn Entertainment—the studio helmed by the creators of Call of Duty—will be exclusive to the next-gen Xbox, according to two unrelated sources familiar with the game. One of our sources indicates that there will also be an Xbox 360 version, but no versions for rival PlayStation and Nintendo consoles.

The new game from Respawn is a futuristic multiplayer-centric online shooter, one of our sources says. The source describes the game as a battle of Davids and Goliaths. The Davids are heavily-armed foot soldiers. The Goliaths are the giant exosekeltons—Titans—that these soldiers can pilot. These Titans are big mech-style walkers that move with an agility not seen in games like Mechwarrior or Steel Battalions.

While the details of the game came to us from one source—a source who is in a good position to know what the deal is with Respawn's game—their assertion that the game is destined only for Microsoft console hardware was consistent with information another source gave us earlier this month. That other source had also told us that Respawn's game would only be for the Xbox brand. It is possible that the game could be a timed exclusive, but neither source indicated that was the case.

An Xbox-only Respawn game would be a coup for Microsoft and a fascinating twist to a number of significant sagas. It has implications for publisher EA's rivalry with Call of Duty publisher Activision; for Microsoft's competition with Sony and, less directly with Nintendo; as well as for the ongoing debate about always-online gaming. Two sources have told us that this new game is, in fact, always-online.

Stopped reading there.
---
Stalking the GameFaqs boards since '06.
#3TauriLeaderPosted 4/29/2013 3:30:01 PM(edited)
So it will hit the PS4 like 6 months to a year later.

Come on people EA is publishing, Mass Effect made its way to the PS3 I expect this will as well.
---
Due to recent economic conditions, and the rising cost of Electricity, Gas and Oil, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
#4EnclavePosted 4/29/2013 3:35:44 PM
Really blablablax17? This is how far I got:

CapnStanky posted...

From Kotaku:

Really don't have any need for yet another FPS. That genre REALLY needs to go into remission.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an Atheist.
#5WORT_WORT_WORTPosted 4/29/2013 3:37:28 PM
To be fair, it doesn't say it is an FPS. But it obviously will be.
---
Don't be so mayo.
#6CapnStanky(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 3:45:24 PM
blablablax17 posted...

From Kotaku:

Stopped reading there.

Too many big words?
---
#7tyrant6Posted 4/29/2013 3:50:56 PM
Not that big of a deal if you ask me

First how well has any console game with just multiplayer sold?Most have done very poorly

Next consider this is Respawns first game.Yes most of the people here know the guys at Respawn created Call of Duty but do 80% of the people who play that series?

Finally I beleive this is just a timed exclusive.I can't beleive EA would be willing to lose the extra sales from PC/PS4.Also if you read the full article I honestly don't like the sounds of desperation from Microsoft
---
Gaming since 1984
#8CapnStanky(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 3:55:37 PM
tyrant6 posted...

First how well has any console game with just multiplayer sold?Most have done very poorly

Next consider this is Respawns first game.Yes most of the people here know the guys at Respawn created Call of Duty but do 80% of the people who play that series?

Finally I beleive this is just a timed exclusive.I can't beleive EA would be willing to lose the extra sales from PC/PS4.Also if you read the full article I honestly don't like the sounds of desperation from Microsoft

LOL desperation. How stupid. Desperation is having to release another Killzone or inFamous game because you've got nothing else. Each one of those games has sold fewer copies than the last one despite having a larger install base to sell to. LOL.
---
#9jorheadPosted 4/29/2013 3:55:42 PM
A mech game? Anyone remember the last time one of these was done well and had decent numbers outside of Japan?
---
XBL GT is Ruthless4u
#10tyrant6Posted 4/29/2013 4:09:07 PM
CapnStanky posted...
tyrant6 posted...

LOL desperation. How stupid. Desperation is having to release another Killzone or inFamous game because you've got nothing else. Each one of those games has sold fewer copies than the last one despite having a larger install base to sell to. LOL.

Knack?Drive Club?Last Guardian,don't tell me it hasn't been moved to PS4,?

Sony has at least some new IPs for the new system.If this story is true it does sound like desperation because Microsoft has to be shelling out a huge sum of money.Like I said I find it hard to beleive EA would just give up on PC/PS4 sales on their own
---
Gaming since 1984