Kotaku Rumor: Microsoft 6 months behind in game production for Durango

#1BigBossMakaveliPosted 4/29/2013 6:06:48 PM
Source : http://kotaku.com/the-next-gen-xbox-is-getting-a-hell-of-an-exclusive-so-484785241

"We've heard from other sources that Microsoft is not where they want to be at this point in the pre-launch development of Durango. A reliable source—one who was not part of our reporting about the Respawn game—tells us that Microsoft is as much as six months behind in producing content for the new console, despite an expected late-2013 launch. Another tells us that Microsoft recently cancelled several internal next-gen projects because they were not coming together as hoped. These sources have told us that, comparatively, Sony is in better shape and further along with hardware and software development for PlayStation 4."

"We'd also heard from an industry insider that Microsoft was aggressively trying to sign exclusive games for Durango. Given the lack of internal development at Microsoft—their internal studios, while talented, are outnumbered by those of Sony and Nintendo—and given some of the apparent recent stumbles and slowdowns internally, signing an exclusive Respawn-EA game would suit the Durango quite well."
#2CapnStankyPosted 4/29/2013 6:21:27 PM
Sony's also rumored to be behind. The difference being that Microsoft has franchises people actually want. Sony's got...lol...Killzone and inFamous. The big difference here though is that both Sony and Microsoft have tons of big name third party titles to mask any issues they have with their own releases, and then on top of that they can throw money at exclusives. Nintendo launched with garbage for both first and third party support and then for the next half a year followed it up with more and more garbage.
---
2013: Next Gen finally arrives. Don't let us down like Nintendo did.
#3AceProsecutorPosted 4/29/2013 8:06:18 PM
Man this console is gonna bankrupt Microsofts gaming division I swear.
---
I don't suppose you...want to taste it? Do you? No, of course not, what am I saying...but maybe?
#4GamerguymassPosted 4/29/2013 10:11:59 PM
So Microsoftdooooooooooooomed? I mean that seems to be the pretty popular thing to say in the Wii U forum.

I have to wonder how much money MS makes from the XBox line though considering how they seem to love throwing money around to sign exclusives. I mean does getting a 3rd party exclusive really get them THAT much money? I always thought the developer got the most money from a game?
#5Terry-bogardPosted 4/30/2013 1:33:26 AM
CapnStanky posted...
Sony's also rumored to be behind. The difference being that Microsoft has franchises people actually want. Sony's got...lol...Killzone and inFamous. The big difference here though is that both Sony and Microsoft have tons of big name third party titles to mask any issues they have with their own releases, and then on top of that they can throw money at exclusives. Nintendo launched with garbage for both first and third party support and then for the next half a year followed it up with more and more garbage.

I think you gravely underestimate how popular killzone and Infamous are.
---
Videogame cancer : Perpetual easy mode (AKA USA syndrome), word "main" in fighting games.
#6hak145Posted 4/30/2013 2:57:53 AM
CapnStanky posted...

LMAO stopped reading after the first two sentences.
---
Gamertag XL:CRAZYjump
Winner: Dark Souls
#7EoinPosted 4/30/2013 3:33:28 AM
"Six months" behind is a weird amount of time. Microsoft have some of the best project management practices in the world, they've been developing consoles games for well over a decade, and they've been developing games in general for several decades. They've been planning the next Xbox for years and the specs will have been locked down for quite a long time (and before that there'll have been target specs, with game development targeted at the minimum range).

With all of that, it's impossible to imagine that several of their internally-developed games would be "behind" by six months or so. It's possible - in fact, likely - that some of their projects may have slipped a few months from their original targets, or that they may be experiencing slower development in general than they expected, but Microsoft, as a whole, being "six months" off the pace just doesn't seem feasible.
#8NSGraphitePosted 4/30/2013 3:56:10 AM
I think you gravely underestimate how popular killzone and Infamous are.

While simultaneously forgetting completely about Uncharted.
#9Nate_DihldorffPosted 4/30/2013 6:04:17 AM
Let's let this thread sink to the bottom.
---
NCAACP- National Colored Association of Associated Colored People
#10yanksfan4247Posted 4/30/2013 6:38:26 AM
Killzone won't sell s--- if the new CoD comes out PS4 this year. Infamous will sell well.
---
Twitter: @macdamurderer
GT: Mac Da Murderer