So you DO need a internet connection to play games on Xbox One

#1szathmabPosted 5/21/2013 11:59:18 AM
From GT

Regarding "ALWAYS ON". Here's the official word from Microsoft:

Q: Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?

A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.

;So you'll need some type of internet to even use the console. Probably need it so you can register the games you just bought so they can't be used again.
---
HK on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/ALLHAILHK1
A little effort here and there will serve you well, princess.
#2plincoln21Posted 5/21/2013 12:01:36 PM(edited)
open to interpretation until further clarified but I imagine its much like the current state of xbox live. without internet don't expect to be able to do anything but play single player games

you're kind of misleading without adding on the last part of his answer to the question

---
Talk to me Goose
#3ChargrilledPosted 5/21/2013 12:01:52 PM
plincoln21 posted...
open to interpretation until further clarified but I imagine its much like the current state of xbox live. without internet don't expect to be able to do anything but play single player games

you're kind of misleading without adding on the last part of his answer to the question

---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN/Wii-U : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#4szathmab(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 12:03:19 PM
Think of it this way. If they are restricting used games the only way to tell who owns what game is threw a internet connection. If nit you could just install the games in off line mode or something and pass it to the next person.
---
HK on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/ALLHAILHK1
A little effort here and there will serve you well, princess.
#5Paulf001Posted 5/21/2013 12:04:59 PM
Most likely you need to be online once to register a game to your account, similar to MS Office on PC. Once its activated you won't need to be online.
#6plincoln21Posted 5/21/2013 12:06:10 PM
szathmab posted...
Think of it this way. If they are restricting used games the only way to tell who owns what game is threw a internet connection. If nit you could just install the games in off line mode or something and pass it to the next person.

good point, hadn't thought of that. very interesting
---
Talk to me Goose
#7GradyHooverPosted 5/21/2013 1:44:57 PM
Confirmed here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/microsoft-xbox-one-isnt-always-online-but-requires-internet-c/
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#8AlustarPosted 5/21/2013 1:55:08 PM
I assume it will work similar to Steam. Steam does have an "Offline Mode" in case you can't connect to the internet for whatever reason thus not locking you out of your single player games. Everything else though I would imagine not working while the system is "offline"