Fee for preowned games.

#11Dersu_UzalaPosted 5/21/2013 1:53:11 PM
Mandatory Kinect is the real dealbreaker for me.
#12JetPilotPosted 5/21/2013 1:54:41 PM
People purchase consoles for software, not for hardware. If you have a "console release" without any software, you've given people absolutely no reason to be excited for the hardware.

That's true across all gaming platforms, console and handheld.

The Wii U is tanking now because it's software library is a desert. Not because of its specs. If there was a nice library of excellent games on that system then people would be buying it.

Same goes for the upcoming PS4 & Xbox One launches. If they launch into a software wasteland then Sony & Microsoft will face the same situation as Nintendo.

Software sells hardware, not the other way around.
---
PSN: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i").
#13Elemayowe(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 1:54:45 PM
I've read the not true stuff which is why I made the topic, curious to see if the hate will drop now that that's come out, seeing as 75% of threads seem to be critisising this feature.

If people see any other major flaws what are they?
#14GSPgreasesPosted 5/21/2013 1:55:47 PM
The fee probably exist because those qoutes just say you can trade in and play the games doesnt mean you dont have to pay to play
#15MinamoPosted 5/21/2013 1:57:39 PM
"Details soon" are the keywords here. There are no details, either you can freely trade in and sell/lend/rent games, or you can't. The fact that they mention details means there is a catch, plain and simple.
#16ILikesCheesePosted 5/21/2013 1:57:56 PM
The used game fee "rumor" stems from a report on Wired about the need to install games to the hard drive and linking them to ONE Xbox account for use. MS has since Tweeted that Wired "got it wrong."

Uh huh
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#17JetPilotPosted 5/21/2013 2:01:29 PM
If all games are installed and they don't charge a fee, what's to stop someone from simply borrowing their friend's game and installing it on their system for free? Of going to GameStop and buying a used game, installing it and then returning it within their 7-day refund window?

There will be no fee in order to purchase used games.*

*There will be a fee if you wish to actually play the used game.

Kind of like all of the "free download" software on the internet. Yes, the download is free. Want to use the software you downloaded for free? That's $40 for the activation key.
---
PSN: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i").
#18CyricsServantPosted 5/21/2013 2:06:02 PM
Elemayowe posted...
I've read the not true stuff which is why I made the topic, curious to see if the hate will drop now that that's come out, seeing as 75% of threads seem to be critisising this feature.

That's actually a very ambiguous response. The "details coming soon" comment might mean it is true, but they're going to characterize the used game fee as else, like an "additional profile" or "second console" fee.

We'll have to wait and see, but I'm not optimistic at this point.

As for the other bad news, I can really only speak for myself but . . .

-Kinect pack-in
-Kinect connection required
-Not much focus on games
-Too much focus on securing things I don't care about, like a "premium" Halo tv show
-Mandatory installs on a 500 GB HD . . . I have a PS3 with a 200 or 250 GH HD, I know how fast that's going to fill up.
#19ILikesCheesePosted 5/21/2013 2:25:41 PM
JetPilot posted...
If all games are installed and they don't charge a fee, what's to stop someone from simply borrowing their friend's game and installing it on their system for free?

The install supposedly links to a specific Xbox account / Gamertag OR the Xbox itself, so installing to infinite Xboxes is obviously not an option. Very little information on the whole thing. I was not impressed with the conference very much.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?