Eurogamer reconfirms used game fees

#11SupernautusPosted 5/21/2013 2:45:42 PM
smerf1 posted...
Supernautus posted...
Until the source says "Microsoft" nothing is confirmed.

corporate vice president of Microsoft Phil Harrison

and yet nothing in the quote specifically mentioned used games, just sharing games with your friends.
#12JirynPosted 5/21/2013 2:45:58 PM
M DAMAGE posted...
I'm tired of this DRM that only punishes paying customers.

I said this a long time ago and was called a conspiract theorist: The true purpose of DRM was never about pirates-- it was about gaining more and more control over consumers.

Hard to argue with this now. **** this DRM.

It's not DRM, I see it as the evolution of the "Online Pass"
Think of it as having to buy a key to access the software.... however I agree this is still total bullcrap.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#13Some_StaticPosted 5/21/2013 2:48:53 PM
Supernautus posted...
smerf1 posted...
Supernautus posted...

and yet nothing in the quote specifically mentioned used games, just sharing games with your friends.

Read into that a little more. The transfer of a disc that has had it's initial installation used up is the key action here. How would MS distinguish someone passing the disc to their friend and selling/renting it? Logically, it would have to follow the same fee model.
---
It's not a JRPG until you kill a god. http://somestatic.tumblr.com
Don't mess with Mrs. Chu; she'll put you in the soup.
#14kidwgmPosted 5/21/2013 2:51:24 PM
Supernautus posted...

This. Some journalist said he talked to him. That doesn't confirm it until MS goes on record or the guy himself goes on record saying it.
---
GT: Kid Whimsical 3DS FC: 4811-7436-8881
#15JirynPosted 5/21/2013 2:51:57 PM
Some_Static posted...
Supernautus posted...
smerf1 posted...
Supernautus posted...

Read into that a little more. The transfer of a disc that has had it's initial installation used up is the key action here. How would MS distinguish someone passing the disc to their friend and selling/renting it? Logically, it would have to follow the same fee model.

Technically, letting your friend borrow the disc is considered a USED game.
It's not like you can take the game to Gamestop and they magically put the code back on.
Hell Gamestop may not even carry these games used because of the fee... or the console at all. GS warned Microsoft that if they messed with them they would outright stop supporting the console.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/gamestop-warns-microsoft-on-rumored-used-game-blocking-console/
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#16StarGoyPosted 5/21/2013 2:53:46 PM
Let's see if gamers allow this to happen. You can't really blame the companies for pushing the boundaries of what they can get away with for profit.
#17JirynPosted 5/21/2013 2:53:51 PM
kidwgm posted...
Supernautus posted...

This. Some journalist said he talked to him. That doesn't confirm it until MS goes on record or the guy himself goes on record saying it.

Interviews are technically on record, specially if record.
Also why would multiple and I mean multiple journalist all be saying the same thing from the same set of interviews of the guy if it weren't true.
---
#18Some_StaticPosted 5/21/2013 2:54:12 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
Some_Static posted...
Supernautus posted...
smerf1 posted...
Supernautus posted...

Technically, letting your friend borrow the disc is considered a USED game.
It's not like you can take the game to Gamestop and they magically put the code back on.
Hell Gamestop may not even carry these games used because of the fee... or the console at all. GS warned Microsoft that if they messed with them they would outright stop supporting the console.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/gamestop-warns-microsoft-on-rumored-used-game-blocking-console/

Two of my friends run a local gamestore and for the moment, with the information they have, they're planning to have one shelf for new XB1 games, but they won't take trade-ins for software or hardware, and don't intend to carry console units post-launch. This is, of course, assuming that EuroGamer and Phil Harrison have it correct regarding the installation fees.
---
It's not a JRPG until you kill a god. http://somestatic.tumblr.com
Don't mess with Mrs. Chu; she'll put you in the soup.
#19kidwgmPosted 5/21/2013 2:56:37 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
kidwgm posted...
Supernautus posted...

Interviews are technically on record, specially if record.
Also why would multiple and I mean multiple journalist all be saying the same thing from the same set of interviews of the guy if it weren't true.

K. I just opened the link TC provided (which I should of done first) and it does appear to be an interview/record of the convo. My apologies. There is just so much rumor based on what he or he said from this or that mag/website its hard to garner the truth.
---
GT: Kid Whimsical 3DS FC: 4811-7436-8881
#20JirynPosted 5/21/2013 2:57:58 PM(edited)
Some_Static posted...

Two of my friends run a local gamestore and for the moment, with the information they have, they're planning to have one shelf for new XB1 games, but they won't take trade-ins for software or hardware, and don't intend to carry console units post-launch. This is, of course, assuming that EuroGamer and Phil Harrison have it correct regarding the installation fees.

Here's three more articles reporting on and confirming the "Fee"

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-is-not-always-online-but-seems-to-block-used-509077987

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-may-have-mandatory-game-installs
---