I work at Gamestop and have been telling all customers to not pre-order Xbox One

#11BlacknGold86Posted 5/22/2013 12:00:54 AM
G1243 posted...
80/80

I just got off work and it's been the discussion at work today with my fellow coworkers about how horrible and anti-gaming centric this new Xbox One is. Yeah I work for Gamestop and it's bad for the used games business, but don't label me as a GS drone, just because I work there -- I'm a gamer first and foremost.

Anyway, we are supposed to push for pre-orders hard, but I'm going to sway all customers to pre-order the PS4 instead of the Xbox One. The funny thing is, that when they ask why, for most of them I tell them the whole "used games fee" business and they agreed that it was a terrible practice. I used the analogy of DVDs, since everybody watches movies. In order for your friends to borrow that DVD of yours, they have to pay full price for it.

Some people thought it over and quickly came to the conclusion that it was absurd.

Any fellow GS employees here? Shed your thoughts on the matter.

Tl;dr.

Besides, yours full of s*** bro.

I used to work at GStop and my brother does currently. If either of us EVER pulled anything like telling a customer NOT to preorder something we'd be fired faster than you can say Xbox.

Obviously a troll topic, anyone who doesn't believe me is free to call their local GStop.
---
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/563883-5th-gear (My claimed Board) "Hang a mouse under a bridge and your cabbages will triple in size!" -MTG Flavor Text
#12SparkItUpPosted 5/22/2013 12:30:35 AM
BlacknGold86 posted...
G1243 posted...
80/80

I just got off work and it's been the discussion at work today with my fellow coworkers about how horrible and anti-gaming centric this new Xbox One is. Yeah I work for Gamestop and it's bad for the used games business, but don't label me as a GS drone, just because I work there -- I'm a gamer first and foremost.

Anyway, we are supposed to push for pre-orders hard, but I'm going to sway all customers to pre-order the PS4 instead of the Xbox One. The funny thing is, that when they ask why, for most of them I tell them the whole "used games fee" business and they agreed that it was a terrible practice. I used the analogy of DVDs, since everybody watches movies. In order for your friends to borrow that DVD of yours, they have to pay full price for it.

Some people thought it over and quickly came to the conclusion that it was absurd.

Any fellow GS employees here? Shed your thoughts on the matter.

Tl;dr.

Besides, yours full of s*** bro.

I used to work at GStop and my brother does currently. If either of us EVER pulled anything like telling a customer NOT to preorder something we'd be fired faster than you can say Xbox.

Obviously a troll topic, anyone who doesn't believe me is free to call their local GStop.

thing is...he is recommending another product that is also available for preorder. My Gamestop does this occasionally in that they will recommend one platform over another (as far as games) simply because he is giving me some friendly advice. He isn't telling me NOT to purchase, he is simply recommending a similar purchase. The store gets a sale regardless.
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#13VeryDarkSoulPosted 5/22/2013 12:32:10 AM
Gamestop has been destroying the game industry far longer than microsoft
---
Ron Paul 2012
#14NinjaGamer_23Posted 5/22/2013 12:34:19 AM
Gamestop is a business to make money, why are you even working there ifyour going to not bring money in for the company?

Why are you even working at gamestop, TC?
#15Jx1010Posted 5/22/2013 12:34:57 AM
If Gamestop steps up to Microsoft
I will make Gamestop my number one gaming store

#16mophisusPosted 5/22/2013 12:41:20 AM
mrivera889 posted...
Personally speaking I'm indifferent with GameStop so I never had any qualms with the franchise but I will say that this is a wise decision to do TC. However I do still see GameStop selling the systems and the games but simply not allowing Xbox One games to be traded or Sold to the Store but will still sell used/refurbished Xbox One Consoles.

Speaking of which if you would excuse my ignorance on this subject TC or any GameStop employee I'm quite curious in finding out of a Brand New Sale for a game how much % of the cut does Game Stop get? Lets say a $60 game......how much of that goes into GameStop's pocket? And while were at it does GameStop make any sort of profit when they sell a new console?

i dont work for a gamestop, but i do know the prices for other small retailers (im assuming gamestop gets their stuff a bit cheaper, as they buy in huge bulk, where smaller stores wont order as much)

the reason used games are so important,.. they make between 4 and 9 dollars on new games (xbox 360 is usually around 7, 3ds around 5, etc etc )..
systems... like., 4 dollars for an xbox 360?
accessories is about a 20-30% mark up on average but varies.

thats to keep prices competitive with others.

in other words.. selling one used copy of call of duty black ops 2 makes the store about 2-3 times as much money as selling a new copy.

the amount of volume in new games that would have to be sold to make up for the loss of used game sales would be crazy..

not to mention, used game trade ins allow a store to shift product easier, as the credit is used towards other merchandise in the store.
---
"The side effect of education should not be death by boredom and mediocrity"
#17pjnelsonPosted 5/22/2013 12:45:09 AM
G1243 posted...
I work at Gamestop and have been telling all customers to not pre-order Xbox One

Sounds like someone should be fired for not doing their job properly. It isn't a price gun jockey's job to make purchase decisions for customers.
---
I'm not here for friends. I'm here for the truth to the best of my knowledge of it, even if it's not what people want to hear.
#18WartPig_Posted 5/22/2013 12:46:51 AM
NinjaGamer_23 posted...
Gamestop is a business to make money, why are you even working there ifyour going to not bring money in for the company?

Why are you even working at gamestop, TC?

i really doubt somebody making minimum wage cares about the company they work for regarless of what company it is. i was a supervisor at a Kohls and guess what? even making way more than minimum wage i didnt care about its profits. turns out im only there to get paid. belive it or not but companies dont care about their employees. they will fire you in a heart beat without a care. so you should give them the same respect back.

i know first hand how it works. we were told NOT to hire full time employess so we dont have to provide benifits. and when the minimum wage went up we cut hours. so keep that in mind the next time you try to talk smack to people like TC
---
PSN-WartPigX
#19NintendologicalPosted 5/22/2013 12:50:21 AM
I am a veteran of Gamestop 837. That will be relevant to anyone who actually works at a Gamestop and can look up store numbers, or anyone who actually shops there. Anyways, the attitude I developed after a year of working there, was I stopped caring about what other people played and bought. I don't make any additional money by swaying people's purchases to match my world view. I was already forced to talk people in to subs and reservations. I didn't want to push my own ideology on top of that.

If someone wanted to buy a Playstation 2 (I didn't like that system for a long time), I didn't try to tell them about how much better an Xbox or GC were. Now if I am asked, I'll be as honest and objective as possible. But if I am not asked, of what consequence is it to me that a customer buys one product and not the other?
---
"This topic is racist. Also, **** the Gungans" - GeneralCortez
#20MVNeoPosted 5/22/2013 12:50:41 AM
Jx1010 posted...
If Gamestop steps up to Microsoft
I will make Gamestop my number one gaming store

---
http://raptr.com/UNSCleric
https://app.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Halo4/UNSCleric/home/