My understanding of the Used Game Fee

#1twytch007Posted 5/22/2013 7:11:12 AM
From what I gather thus far:

If you buy a new game at MSRP you have to download the game to your system. Then your once a day "check-in" will tie that game you purchased to your Gamertag. The game can be played on any other system so long as your gamertag is transferred there and you play it only through your own profile.

If the game is bought used you are required to pay a 'fee' to be able to link it to your gamertag. This is on top of whatever it would cost you to buy it from Gamestop or wherever. IGN has an article up claiming they have been told by very credible sources that the 'fee' is going to be the games full MSRP.

I don't see how you can pay full price to play a game after you've bought it used. You are paying more for a used game than you would be for the same game brand new. Something has to be incorrect in the info I've seen.

But this would make perfect sense why EA has discontinued with their online pass fees. MS is already going to charge each person that plays a game saving EA the trouble.

And what about Coop titles? Are you telling me only one person can use their GT in coop play and the other person either plays as a "guest" or also has to buy the game to play and earn achievements? If that is the case, my brother would no longer be able to jump into a Coop game with me unless he paid this 'fee' to play it as well.

Sounds to me like you are paying for a license to play a game for each person out there no matter what. Got a local multiplayer game? Gonna cost you 4X the $$$ to get ur friends into the action.
---
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
#2AssaultMonkey9Posted 5/22/2013 7:13:13 AM
The simple answer is that if there is an MSRP "Fee" for used game activation, then while you technically COULD trade in and buy used games, Gamestop won't take them because people wouldn't want to spend more than a dollar for them if they have to pay the full price to play it afterwards.

Therefore, Gamestop wont give you much trade in credit if it cant resell used games for much
---
Now Playing: Ni No Kuni, Dead Space 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, AC3
PSN: AssaultMonkey150
#3Special-EddPosted 5/22/2013 7:16:44 AM
At this point all we can do is speculate on most of these things. They could have been less vague about such important features like used game fees and just how much space 500GB really is for installing games. Really the event left a lot more questions than answers which leaves a bad taste a lot of people's mouth.

I'll still be getting the XBone and the PS4 but I may hold off until we get more details for both systems at E3.
---
Playing: Defiance, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Marvel Heroes Closed Beta.
Anticipating: The Last of Us, Marvel Heroes
#4CTImpPosted 5/22/2013 7:17:36 AM
Does the fee exist for playing a game on the same console under multiple accounts? If I purchase a game will my younger brother be able to play it on his account or will he have to pay an extra fee for "permission" to use what we already own?
---
It walked on my pillow!
#5Jabroni2000Posted 5/22/2013 7:23:11 AM
twytch007 posted...

If the game is bought used you are required to pay a 'fee' to be able to link it to your gamertag. This is on top of whatever it would cost you to buy it from Gamestop or wherever. IGN has an article up claiming they have been told by very credible sources that the 'fee' is going to be the games full MSRP.

I don't see how you can pay full price to play a game after you've bought it used. You are paying more for a used game than you would be for the same game brand new. Something has to be incorrect in the info I've seen.

Exactly, the idea is to kill Gamestop and the used game market. Gamestop isn't going to pay you for used games b/c the only thing they're good for is a one-game install. On the flip side nobody will buy them b/c what's the point, you still need to pay the activation fee. Do you buy used PC games at Gamestop? No, because you need to buy a CD key besides just the physical disk. It's the exact same system.

But if you think about it, with no fee and full install capabilities, nothing would stop you from buying one game and then passing it around to 20+ people to have each of them fully install the game.

And what about Coop titles? Are you telling me only one person can use their GT in coop play and the other person either plays as a "guest" or also has to buy the game to play and earn achievements? If that is the case, my brother would no longer be able to jump into a Coop game with me unless he paid this 'fee' to play it as well.

Sounds to me like you are paying for a license to play a game for each person out there no matter what. Got a local multiplayer game? Gonna cost you 4X the $$$ to get ur friends into the action.

Uh, no, that makes no sense and that hasn't been talked about anywhere by anybody. If Player 1 with his gamertag boots up the game there's no reason why people on the same system wouldn't be able to play.
---
XBL: jmarFTL
#6oasisbeyondPosted 5/22/2013 7:24:27 AM
We don't know the price range for a new activation code... Who knows, it can be a set price like $3... And gamestop charges you in the store on top of the used game price. So a used game for 14.99 would be 17.99. It's simple as that. It can't cost any more then $5 or else there's no point for gamestop to sell used games at all since it comes more then the new lol.

Either way... MS are idiots. This is a steambox and when the service dies... Your games are unplayable for the year after. I'm not paying $60 for steam games for a reason... I don't pay full price for renting a game...

That's also another problem... Good buy renting online. I'll stick with ps4 for sure next gen and I'm someone who buys all the consoles, cuz every console has great games... But, this is a big no no for me.
#7razer326Posted 5/22/2013 7:27:25 AM
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Xbox-One-Used-Game-Fee-Is-the-Retail-Price-of-the-Title-355137.shtml

Microsoft has further detailed the method in which the Xbox One implements a fee for owners who want to play a used (pre-owned) copy of a game, saying that they'll have to pay the game's current retail price in order to experience it.

The Xbox One was showcased to the world yesterday by Microsoft, and the company talked at lengths about its entertainment features and showcased a few of its games.

The company briefly mentioned that the console would support used games, but that owners who want to experience a pre-owned version of a title would have to pay a fee.

According to Microsoft's Phil Harrison, the system is quite simple and allows much of the freedom currently experienced by Xbox 360 owners.

"Our plans are very consistent with the way the world works today, which is if I buy a disc I can install it on my machine, I can play it and anyone associated with my machine can play it as well," Harrison told CVG.

"I can give that disc to somebody else - maybe my son who has his own Xbox One somewhere else in the house - and he can install and play it on his machine. I can come to your house with that disc, I can install it on your machine and we can play it and while I'm with you we can have all of the capabilities of that game."

Harrison's statement was clarified by Xbox Community Manager Larry Hryb, who said that the player who registered the game on his account can play it on any console he wants as long as he's logged into it.

"The moment I go home and notionally take that disc with me, you no longer have the ability to play that game," Harrison continued. "But the 'bits' are on your hard drive, so if you want to play that game you can buy it - you can go to the online store, buy it and it's instantly unlocked and playable on your machine. All of the privileges I just described in my house would now apply in yours as well."

The Microsoft executive mentioned to Kotaku in a discussion about the used games fee that, in the case of a newly released title, the fee will consist of the game's current price.

As a result, buying a used copy no longer makes sense as Xbox One owners will still have to pay the same amount of money, not less as they do on the Xbox 360.