It's impossible to own a XBox 1 game

#31Big_IsaacPosted 5/22/2013 8:57:08 AM
this argument is just self-delusion and apology

YES in concept, you don't own any of the games you buy. however, in practice, the games you buy indisputably belong to you. once you purchase a game on any other console, the company that made it loses all authority over it. you are free to do whatever the hell you want with it. play it, look at it, stick it up your nose, whatever. this of course also includes the right to sell the game to someone else.
X1 will be the first console that will deny you this right.

why? because you don't own anything any more.
even if you argue that you always only own the license to play the game, that doesn't change anything, because on X1 you don't even own that license. if you owned the license, then you would be free to lend that license to another person
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#32Russian RocketPosted 5/22/2013 8:57:41 AM
Hucast9 posted...
Hi C posted...
Redjoker777 posted...
You never owned the games you bought for any console ever.

Wrong.

You're telling me that I don't own the collection of games that I have built since the Atari 2600? I can take any of those games and play them, give them to someone, or sell them. No damn dirty disgusting company can stop me if I want to sell my copy of Xenosaga 3 right now on Ebay. That is the power that I have right now. Microsoft wants to take that power away from us.

Actually, they can try to stop you. You likely accepted a EULA at some point. Courts have upheld that you don't own the content on the discs. It's just very hard to enforce and no game company is going to go after Gamestop due to the backlash they would receive. MS is trying to put in some enforcement via the console (and subsequently, getting that backlash).
#33TheBeastWithinPosted 5/22/2013 8:58:28 AM
MlREFOX posted...
Hucast9 posted...
lazycomplife posted...
That's a lie, I have classics such as Fatal Frame and KOTOR on xbox 1.

You own that game nomatter what the hell anyone tells you. If you sell the game, you're selling your licence to play it as well since the license is on the disc.

And that is copyright infringement. The only reason it wasn't policed in the past was because there was no practical way to do it. Licenses don't transfer with sale and now companies have ways to prevent just that.

Except that the law in this area was improperly decided because courts typically have no idea how to handle entirely new concepts. European courts are starting to correct, at least, and with time, the law of buying and selling goods that has existed since laws were first created will take over, and buyers will own the physical stuff they buy. As they should.
---
Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
#34MlREFOXPosted 5/22/2013 9:01:13 AM
Not in germany, though!

You're wrong, though. Germany has the same licensing protection as the US. And I looked at the UrhG like,you suggested, and it grants exclusive rights of licensing to the author.
#35jakethenoobPosted 5/22/2013 9:02:09 AM
Redjoker777 posted...
You never owned the games you bought for any console ever.

You have to be above 13 years old to be here you know
---
Game collection: http://postimage.org/gallery/1tqkmeku/
#36ilikemilkmmmPosted 5/22/2013 9:03:22 AM
people would support toilet companies licensing them toilets and being forced to pay by the crap if a corporation told them it was supposed to be that way
#37James MasonPosted 5/22/2013 9:38:27 AM
You own the physical media that can play the game... You might not own the rights to the game, nor the rights to duplicate or do whatever you please with said game, but the game disk and the ability to put it in a console and play it has always been yours.
---
The wind carried screams from the west. I could not help but smile - Kain PSN : Stealth_Cobra | MGO ID : Killed by Konami's Greed
#38Fallen_LordPosted 5/22/2013 10:03:48 AM
Why is this so hard to understand? When you buy a game you are paying for the physical media it comes on and a license to play the game. You do not own the code that makes up the game itself. This is the same regardless if it is an ancient Atari 2600 cartridge or a new game.
#39Big_IsaacPosted 5/22/2013 10:13:15 AM
Fallen_Lord posted...
Why is this so hard to understand? When you buy a game you are paying for the physical media it comes on and a license to play the game. You do not own the code that makes up the game itself. This is the same regardless if it is an ancient Atari 2600 cartridge or a new game.

same difference. even if the code doesn't belong to you, you still own the license to use that code. that license, like any other piece of property, can be transferred from one person to the next. as a matter of fact, this already happens when you buy the game. at that point, the license is transferred from the shop to you. in the same way, you must be allowed to transfer the license to another person, either by lending your disc to a friend or by selling it
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein