Why would they want to use the Xbox camera to spy on you?

#11Auction SniperPosted 5/22/2013 6:22:56 PM
KaiserWarrior posted...
The actual patent is for their technology to detect if there are more than X people in front of the TV, then stop your game/movie/music/whatever playback and throw up a box demanding that you buy more licenses.

The MPAA are dead serious in those unskippable warnng screens - All hell will break loose if you play a retail DVD in prisons, schools and on oil rigs.
---
No More Heroes - The game where you engage in Light-sabre combat while riding on a Greyhound Bus.
#12Allaster111Posted 5/22/2013 6:23:38 PM
Wherever there is a possibility for abuse of power or ability, you can be guaranteed that there will be abuse of such things.
#13Mr_Red_HerringPosted 5/22/2013 6:24:09 PM
Bobberdong posted...
I'm sure they're shivering with excitement at the prospect of watching a dude, his dirty CoD shirt speckled with Cheetos dust while he lounges on a months worth of empty Mt. Dew and Redbull cans, play his favorite game for 4 or 5 hours.

Companies are very much interested and shivering with the excitement of having more big data about consumer habits like the bolded above. That is part of the reason.

Governments will pay top dollar for the data as well as audio clippings.

What Microsoft is doing is wrong. You are an enable. You are part of the problem. Why are you satisfied living your life for the ENTERTAINMENT & PROFIT of a predatory company like Microsoft!

I would rather perish than endure forever as a traitor to life. I sold my Microsoft stocks and disassembled my Microsoft computer. It is going into the garbage.

I am salvaging my Nvidia Titan graphics card.
---
http://tinyurl.com/mr-red-herring
#14Shy420Posted 5/22/2013 6:27:21 PM
blah blah blah the government blah blah blah hackers blah blah blah corporate America blah blah blah Barack Obama blah blah blah blah, blah blah tea party.

Serious though I think it's the whole "big brother" paranoia and it's not so much that why would they want to spy but more that they can if wanted. Also if "they" could spy on yuo using the kinect then there are more nefarious individuals out there that could gain access to those cams and watch you. You being the populace I mean I can't imagine anyone needing or wanting to spy on me, there is nothing at all to gain other than a laugh.

Just one scenario I can think of is coporate guy looks at your home through the kinects and see that you eat doritos, drink pepsi, live in a moderate home, has five individuals living there owns nice furniture. From looking at the inside of your home they can make assumptions on the kinds of prducts you may lean towards then use that in marketing. This may result in the type of in game advertising you receive through the cloud, spam you get in your email and junk mail that is sent to your house. To me this isn't as terrible as it sounds I like to know about other things I may like. But "they" are steering your life in a direction you may not have looked or maybe you would have.

The other scenario, someone learns how to hack the cams and wham you're sister is now posted playing Halo topless or you're caught fapping.

For everything good out there someone is trying to figure a way to use it for bad purposes.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#15bartz90Posted 5/22/2013 6:29:38 PM
Kinect is essentially a webcam (and microphone) and webcams are hacked. Even if you're not worried about intrusive market research, or the implications of MS not being able to withhold information from the government, consider a pedophile remotely watching and listening to your kids as one possibility of this "great" new thing in your home.

One scary thing is that you don't know who or what kind of freak is watching you or trying to. Taping a piece of paper to your webcam on a laptop sounds absurd right? But these things do happen.
---
-
#16Waffle manPosted 5/22/2013 6:30:20 PM
Shy420 posted...
blah blah blah the government blah blah blah hackers blah blah blah corporate America blah blah blah Barack Obama blah blah blah blah, blah blah tea party.

Serious though I think it's the whole "big brother" paranoia and it's not so much that why would they want to spy but more that they can if wanted. Also if "they" could spy on yuo using the kinect then there are more nefarious individuals out there that could gain access to those cams and watch you. You being the populace I mean I can't imagine anyone needing or wanting to spy on me, there is nothing at all to gain other than a laugh.

Just one scenario I can think of is coporate guy looks at your home through the kinects and see that you eat doritos, drink pepsi, live in a moderate home, has five individuals living there owns nice furniture. From looking at the inside of your home they can make assumptions on the kinds of prducts you may lean towards then use that in marketing. This may result in the type of in game advertising you receive through the cloud, spam you get in your email and junk mail that is sent to your house. To me this isn't as terrible as it sounds I like to know about other things I may like. But "they" are steering your life in a direction you may not have looked or maybe you would have.

The other scenario, someone learns how to hack the cams and wham you're sister is now posted playing Halo topless or you're caught fapping.

For everything good out there someone is trying to figure a way to use it for bad purposes.

Yes, and to summarize... when you step out of the door of your home, no one (in this age) expects there isn't some form of surveilance or breach of their privacy.

With that said, NO ONE should have to waive their right to privacy in their own home, for ANY reason. No one enjoys the idea of being watched, whether they are or not.

You should check your local state laws and see what privacy is guaranteed you. You should diligently complain and criticize this intrusion of privacy if you find it offensive and hopefully Microsoft will accept that this is not tolerable.
---
They should have a stronger word for killing. Like BadWrong. Or, baddong. Yes, Killing is Baddong. - The Chosen One
#17Waffle manPosted 5/22/2013 6:33:03 PM
I put this in a separate thread relating to the same issue, but I feel it warrants re-posting. For one, it would be nice to see if I have my information correct regarding this issue, and for two, it adds to the discussion...

IANAL, but if I understand my state law correctly (with 15 minutes of searching, apparently making me believe I'm an expert on the matter), it is illegal in WA state to record a private conversation (such as one you'd have in your own home?) without express consent of ALL the parties involved.

I'm not sure how the law is concerned regarding whatever agreement you have to sign when you boot up the console, but any time you invite a guest into your own home, it would make recording them illegal, regardless of whether the information was transmitted anywhere or not...

Could this not open Microsoft to lawsuits (at least on the state level?) by implementing this?

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.73.030
---
They should have a stronger word for killing. Like BadWrong. Or, baddong. Yes, Killing is Baddong. - The Chosen One
#18Oak_TeaPosted 5/22/2013 6:38:30 PM
There's going to be a long, long Terms of Service to sign up for xbox one's Live service...and nobody will know what rights they're giving up when they click "I Agree".
---
Now playing: FFX-2, Pokemon Emerald (Nuzlocke)
#19DeathRupterPosted 5/22/2013 6:39:29 PM
market research (wait somebody said that already...)
---
XBL gamertag :Ru55o
PSN: Russo_316
#20That_Guy247Posted 5/22/2013 6:49:50 PM
Oak_Tea posted...
There's going to be a long, long Terms of Service to sign up for xbox one's Live service...and nobody will know what rights they're giving up when they click "I Agree".

This
---
Posted using GameFlux