For me its not about not being able to play used games...but rather...

#1ebj767Posted 5/22/2013 10:44:54 PM
Bringing a game to a friends house and just chilling and gaming out?

Did anyone grow up in the era where you'd bring your copy of Super Smash Bros 64. to your friends house and just group up with 3 other bros and have a blast.

If this trend moves forward in future gens, there will be a divide. The consoles that could play any game, and the consoles that need "X" game to match "Y" console to play it.

Could you imagine if you wanted to play Super Smash Bros 64 today, you'd have to use the cart on the first N64 it was ever used on?

Bull. I can't buy a new Xbox with this business tactic and the potential it has to change gaming as we know it tradtionally. No amount of Halo, GoW, or Forza can tempt me into this business model.

Welcome to the year 2025, where the Xbox One servers are down offline because they don't make money., and you can't play Xbox One games anymore, its impossible.
#2Arius_de_GaldriPosted 5/22/2013 10:47:16 PM
ebj767 posted...

Welcome to the year 2025, where the Xbox One servers are down offline because they don't make money., and you can't play Xbox One games anymore, its impossible.

This was a very good point, and one I hadn't thought about.
---
PSN ID: Arius_de_Galdri
#3Decepticon89Posted 5/22/2013 10:50:07 PM
You think by 2025 they'll still be on this coming generation of consoles???
---
"It's like a party in my mouth, and everyone's throwing up."
#4Arius_de_GaldriPosted 5/22/2013 10:51:06 PM
I still play NES games on a fairly regular basis.
---
#5ebj767(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2013 10:51:51 PM
Thats my biggest gripe, and I know people will say, well why the **** would I wanna play a 20 year old Xbox game when I can play the new XBOX and new games?

Does no one play SNES games anymore just because its 2013? It can literally change the way we play games forever. Imagine we couldn't play NES/SNES/N64 games, EVER...AT ALL...AGAIN....because they servers the game/console rely on have to be shutdown because its been 30 years and they just drain money. You can't trust MS to say they would never do that.

And I doubt they would release a patch at the end of the life cycle for the system and all its games that remove the online requirement/one game per console DRM, they could, but its too much money time and investment for something they won't make money off of, its a business.

I'm calling it now, in about 30 years from now, no one will ever be able to play an XBOX ONE exclusive game again without it being ported to PC or another console....does this not bother anyone? Ya know, true gamers who've been playing since the 8/16 bit era? Who actually have a history with games...I see those are the type who may relate to this more.
#6Arius_de_GaldriPosted 5/22/2013 10:53:01 PM
And I think you might be overshooting it with your estimate. 30 years? Realistically, how long did Dreamcast servers stay up? Or PS2, or original Xbox?
---
#7ebj767(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2013 10:55:14 PM
I was worried about this when I first bought into the STEAM eco-system, but PC has one advantage that makes this releveant. PC is one system, and it will always be one system even 50 years from now. So its not like old PC games will phase out for newer ones, its one continous system, with the longest life cycle of any gaming machine.

Xbox One will not be the end all be all for Microsoft, there will be a new console, Xbox One will be swept aside, it will be unprofitable to keep the servers up for consumer happiness, and ever game everyones bought for the system will be a glorified long term rental where you keep the gamecase and disc, but can't play the game.
#8Frost_LASERPosted 5/22/2013 10:55:16 PM
I remember going to my friends b-day parties with my copy of Perfect Dark and smash bros. they were some of the best times I had playing video games.
#9SgtBass8705Posted 5/22/2013 10:56:56 PM
Decepticon89 posted...
You think by 2025 they'll still be on this coming generation of consoles???

I think you completely missed the point. 2025 is just a random far off date TC threw in for an example of when the servers will most likely be down. How will you play your classic games when the console can't do it's mandatory update?

I don't want to defend this console (I won't buy this anti consumer POS) but I'd hope that a system update would go out that removes the required connect before the servers are taken down.
---
PSN: JoshD8705 - One of my covers:
http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/ba9651e68
#10ebj767(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2013 10:58:05 PM
Arius_de_Galdri posted...
And I think you might be overshooting it with your estimate. 30 years? Realistically, how long did Dreamcast servers stay up? Or PS2, or original Xbox?

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that they may support the Xbox One up until the completion of the gen after it...so Xbox Infinity or 4 or whatever you wanna call it...I would imagine at the end of that cycle they might really consider shutting the whole thing down for good. And I'm just guessing the life cycles of these next to gens will be longer...although 30 years does sound long, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here.

It IS inevitable. Unless of course, they patch every damn game and the whole system when they pull the plug....and I highly doubt MS will do that when there is no money it in for them, but the bottom line of any business is money.