For me its not about not being able to play used games...but rather...

#11ebj767(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2013 11:03:22 PM(edited)
I would hope MS releases a patch at the end of the life cycle, that would make it ok with me. But you can't hold them to that promise, when the time comes, they may cop out on any promise they make now to sell consoles. It won't be easy to just patch it...its not like a days work or anything thats for sure. And theres nothing in it for MS besides maybe avoiding pissing off a major part of there fanbase.

And by the time the fanbase wakes up and realizes what this model is capable of doing, it'll probably be too late, be the norm on all consoles, and you can't vote with your dollar because you don't have a choice when it comes to consoles (PC Gaming anyone?) Now is the time to vote with your dollar, not when its too late.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just color me skeptical.
#12chris1001 the sequelPosted 5/22/2013 11:04:57 PM
SgtBass8705 posted...
Decepticon89 posted...
You think by 2025 they'll still be on this coming generation of consoles???

I think you completely missed the point. 2025 is just a random far off date TC threw in for an example of when the servers will most likely be down. How will you play your classic games when the console can't do it's mandatory update?

I don't want to defend this console (I won't buy this anti consumer POS) but I'd hope that a system update would go out that removes the required connect before the servers are taken down.

But even if that's the case, you'd still be stuck because you'd need to authenticate any games you got ahold of.
---
Sign my petition to ban petitions. 528 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/1337cl/petition.html
#13Arius_de_GaldriPosted 5/22/2013 11:17:27 PM
I'm honestly surprised no one else thought of this. I'm a Sony guy and always have been, so I had no intention of getting and Xbox One, but even if I was an Xbox fan, this would be the final nail in the coffin for me.
---
PSN ID: Arius_de_Galdri
#14Monolith1676Posted 5/22/2013 11:22:58 PM
You can play used games on it. You just have to pay a fee to do it.
---
XBOX Live GT: For Blood
Gears of War 1 Assassination Legend
#15chris1001 the sequelPosted 5/22/2013 11:23:57 PM
Monolith1676 posted...

And how do you pay that fee once the servers go offline.
---
Sign my petition to ban petitions. 528 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/1337cl/petition.html
#16kingwutuguPosted 5/22/2013 11:45:06 PM
ebj767 posted...
Welcome to the year 2025

we should be in space by then battling evil aliens and giving out weird signs with our hands.
---
There is no I in team, But there is an I in Win
#17Monolith1676Posted 5/22/2013 11:49:49 PM
chris1001 the sequel posted...
Monolith1676 posted...

And how do you pay that fee once the servers go offline.

I wouldn't know considering I don't have internet.
---
XBOX Live GT: For Blood
Gears of War 1 Assassination Legend
#18chrcolPosted 5/23/2013 12:25:47 AM
even if a patch was made it doesnt solve the problem if you need to play the game on new hardware as you then cant download the patch without their patch server online.
Whilst pc patches were typically a exe you downloaded and could store, console patches are downloaded and installed live. So once patch server offline the patches are gone.

This also can wreck current gen games also as many wont load save game files if game is wrong patch version, DLC content which could need to be redownloaded wouldnt be available either. this is where games with no DLC or games with offline DLC (ultimate editions) have the advantage. Ultimate editions seem to have completely dried up, dont see many new games with alll inclusive DLC anymore.
#19ebj767(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 10:47:05 AM
I'm surprised no-one else thought of this, its the first thing that came to mind when I found out.