Parents # 1 question this holiday: "Can they play their old xbox games on One?"

#21Tube_of_NoobPosted 5/23/2013 9:32:08 AM
Eoin posted...
Yeah, retail workers aren't going to have an easy time of it I imagine, there's a lot of questions about the Xbox One that have difficult answers.

I pity the Xbox support workers as well - they're the ones who'll have to explain, on Christmas Day, to people who just bought a new console, that:

- it won't work without an internet connection (to people who thought that it would)
- the camera thing that came with it has to be connected for it to work (and then explain why)
- Xbox 360 games don't work, including downloads (many people somehow imagine downloads to be different to Xbox 360 games and think that they should work on the basis of those imaginary differences)
- Xbox 360 peripherals also do not work

Fun times for everyone.

I agree also to you retail guys who have explain the details also. I worked retail for quite awhile and people can be just flat out ignorant to what is available and what their child wants.
---
Winter is Coming
Currently Playing: FC3 Blood Dragon, Assassins Creed III & Blops 2
#22DQAbel(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 9:33:47 AM
im going to say.
"i don't see what the big deal is just dont unhook your 360."

they will say.
"then why is it called the One if i need two?"

im going to reply.

"it goes around in a 360 and puts you back at square one"

sorry im really frustrated with this crap. running these situations through my mind. holiday is right around the corner.
---
Dont buy unfinished games. wait for GOTY editions or super versions.
#23T_LawPosted 5/23/2013 9:34:34 AM
The new Xbox is clearly marked as a combined multimedia device, rather than a gaming machine which isn't technically a bad thing. It just sucks for those of us that have a 360 games and will have to have two systems until the 360 is a thing of the past. I personally love the fact that my Gamecube games(and yes i said gamecube) work on my Wii with controllers and all.
#24SparkItUpPosted 5/23/2013 9:36:13 AM
jonnovision1 posted...
are most parents usually knowledgeable enough about games to even ask those questions?

To be fair, the # 1 questions are about money and BC.
---
http://youtu.be/Mke9EHMQMYI
Did you stand to close to the fire, like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone...
#25DQAbel(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 9:40:00 AM
SparkItUp posted...
jonnovision1 posted...
are most parents usually knowledgeable enough about games to even ask those questions?

they want to be sure the money they spent last year and the year before dont go to waste.
---
#26BombermanGoldPosted 5/23/2013 9:47:40 AM
jonnovision1 posted...

I don't work at retail (nor will I ever...although fate may be cruel to me one day). But I have heard this frequently, TO THIS DAY about backwards compatibility for certain systems from parents/grandparents of kids whenever I'm chillin' in a game store.
Most recent was when picking up copy of Metal Gear Rising and an middle-age lady was asking about whether PS3s can play PS2 games and earlier.

So you guys manning the phones and those at the counters putting up with the messy questions, I salute you for being on the front lines braving the onslaught.
---
"I will be your superhero!!!"
Xbox GT & PSN ID: BombermanGOLD
#27Ultima WeltallPosted 5/23/2013 9:48:41 AM
No. Parents' REAL #1 question this holiday: "Why is this Nintendo different from that Nintendo?"
---
Xtreme Rig: i7-3960X, 16gb ddr3, geforce gtx690, 480gig ssd
Runs Facebook and YouTube at a smooth 60fps
#28DQAbel(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 10:05:59 AM
Ultima Weltall posted...
No. Parents' REAL #1 question this holiday: "Why is this Nintendo different from that Nintendo?"

funny but in reality parents have no idea the wii has anything to do with nintendo.
---
#29Minatokun13Posted 5/23/2013 10:33:06 AM
leon_trunks posted...
jonnovision1 posted...

My parents arent. They have no idea what which console is and what it looks like or what games are released and what franchises are popular. It's just not what their generation was into.

My parents know little about consoles, can't tell them apart and don't know anything about games either. They were born in the 50s, making them pretty old and definitely not part of any generation that was into video games.

They're still smart enough to ask questions about things before they buy them. Backwards compatibility is one of the FIRST things they ask me about when I talk about a new system, or, say about Bluray players.

The generational difference is not an excuse for people not to ask questions about what they're buying.